Newb to the JKU. Please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Newb to the JKU. Please help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Steff71
2011 JK Wrangler 

Newb to the JKU. Please help!

I apologise in advance if you've seen a post like this a zillion times. I did my due diligence with a quick scan looking for something similar to avoid repetition, but didn't see anything.

I've just acquired a 2011 JKU Sahara, third Jeep, first JK. Stock with the exception of a lift and bigger wheels and tires. It's an automatic (haters, keep your eye-rolling to yourself, please).

Gods, this thing is gutless. Why the powers at Jeep would stick such an underpowered piece of crap in a big, beefy truck and still only offer 15-18MPG has got me confounded. Anyway, I digress.

I'm looking for advice on the biggest bang for the buck in maximising power, without compromising fuel economy (ha ha ha fuel economy ). Also, I'm thinking some re-gearing is in order.

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. FYI, he's my daily driver, so I'm trying to create a rig that can roll around town, but behave respectably on the trail and slickrock.

Unread 09-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff71 View Post
I apologise in advance if you've seen a post like this a zillion times. I did my due diligence with a quick scan looking for something similar to avoid repetition, but didn't see anything.

I've just acquired a 2011 JKU Sahara, third Jeep, first JK. Stock with the exception of a lift and bigger wheels and tires. It's an automatic (haters, keep your eye-rolling to yourself, please).

Gods, this thing is gutless. Why the powers at Jeep would stick such an underpowered piece of crap in a big, beefy truck and still only offer 15-18MPG has got me confounded. Anyway, I digress.

I'm looking for advice on the biggest bang for the buck in maximising power, without compromising fuel economy (ha ha ha fuel economy ). Also, I'm thinking some re-gearing is in order.

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. FYI, he's my daily driver, so I'm trying to create a rig that can roll around town, but behave respectably on the trail and slickrock.
You're on track by considering regearing as that is the best bang for the buck. What is the current axle ratio and what is the actual height of your tires?

No eye rolling from me, don't worry, and welcome!
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Welcome Steff...no eye rolling around here...unless you are lifting it 6" and putting 20" spinners on it.

Your 2011 has the 3.8L, not the 3.6.... Keep that in mind when regearing. I'd recommend 5.38 gears with 34" tires (fine even if they are 33.5"), that auto and 3.8L engine. Will definitely improve your drivability and mileage.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
lifting it 6" and putting 20" spinners on it.
GREAT IDEA!!!! I'm going to "roll with that"!!! That thread never gets old.

The best bang for the buck would be a RIPP supercharger. Yes, it is a chunk of change ~$4800. But it will awaken the beast within that 3.8L. Instant bolt-on 100 HP at the wheels. *caution: you may break stuff...I did. LOL*

First thing I would do is regear it (~$1500-2000), if the previous owner had not done so. If you still want Mo' Power, add the supercharger. I've done both, and it is truly a hoot to drive.

The RIPP SC is a DIY install. About 6-8 hours in your garage using average tools and skills, no welding. Pretty much plug 'n play.

Oh, and an added bonus....the RIPP Supercharger DOES improve your MPG, about 2-3 mpg (if you keep your foot out of the skinny pedal, and drive normal).

P.S. it's not a truck, it's a JEEP!
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Agree with Happy and Capo.

Best bang for buck to regain lost power is regear or a blower. Regardless the Jeep will never be a rocket, but gearing it back down to compensate for the larger tires or forcing more fuel and air into her, are the only ways you are going to be satisfied power-wise.

Steer clear of those that will reccommend tuners, cold air intakes, catbacks, ect. They carry a very low $ to power gains ratio on our vehicles.

Not sure of your lift or tire size but you could always reduce tire size/lift size/ wheel size closer factory specs.
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Man I'd love a blower.....but I'd have to become a blower to afford one....thank you, I'm here all week....try the prime rib, and don't forget to tip your server
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
Man I'd love a blower.....but I'd have to become a blower to afford one....thank you, I'm here all week....try the prime rib, and don't forget to tip your server
HaHaHa, I think the appropriate name is a "fluffer".
Capo, I expect us both to be banned by tomorrow morning...
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

And sitting in the background is your "Old Standby"-

The cheapest/most direct/non-warranty threatening (semi) mod for more power/mileage is regear to 5.13/non-Rubi and 5.38 Rubi-/w Auto

A truly amazing change in the Beast Behavior !

Driving 70mph/w boat on top and logging 15.9 mpg (cruise control)-

Ain't it great ?

Ya can't get this out of a box of Wheaties !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.