New wrangler 6-speed hard to drive!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New wrangler 6-speed hard to drive!!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 06-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
GLASGO

New wrangler 6-speed hard to drive!!

I just traded my 01 wrangler in mint condition in on a new Jk. It was a 5 speed,and was so easy to drive. I have had this new one for almost a week,and just cant seem to drive from a stop smoothly. The throttle delay is almost unbearable!! WTF is up with the delay! I know that there is no throttle cable,and the drive by wire is how everything comes now,but man this thing is tough to drive. I am not new to manuals,every car i have has one,been driving and racing them for 30 years.I am down to watching the tach,and trying to keep it at around 1000 rpm for a smooth launch.Anybody have any pointers? I really love everything else about this thing,but wished i could figure out how to drive this smoother.It also has a 3.73 gear which should make it easier.

GLASGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASGO View Post
I just traded my 01 wrangler in mint condition in on a new Jk. It was a 5 speed,and was so easy to drive. I have had this new one for almost a week,and just cant seem to drive from a stop smoothly. The throttle delay is almost unbearable!! WTF is up with the delay! I know that there is no throttle cable,and the drive by wire is how everything comes now,but man this thing is tough to drive. I am not new to manuals,every car i have has one,been driving and racing them for 30 years.I am down to watching the tach,and trying to keep it at around 1000 rpm for a smooth launch.Anybody have any pointers? I really love everything else about this thing,but wished i could figure out how to drive this smoother.It also has a 3.73 gear which should make it easier.
More practice?

You can literally start out without touching the throttle, just takes some time to get used to it. As for shifting smooth I've found if you let off the throttle before you push in the clutch it won't flare the rpms when you shift.

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
mule75
2012 JK Wrangler 

welcome to drive by wire.

sorry, but have seen this on other boards, on other vehicles. it is just the new standard. not a whole lot that can be done.

I hated it on my Suzuki at first, but over time I got used to it, and then jump in an older manual trans, and stall it.
mule75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
coachbarnes
2012 JK Wrangler 

I feel better knowing others are having the same issue. I have a 91 with a 5 speed and it is really fun to drive. I purchased a MW3 about 2 weeks ago and went with the 6 speed and I can't get the hang of it either. I really don't like the 6th gear and reverse pattern either.... I love the jeep but it is taking some getting used to. I'm old school and new things take awhile to get confortable.
coachbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
jeeptrix
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachbarnes View Post
I feel better knowing others are having the same issue. I have a 91 with a 5 speed and it is really fun to drive. I purchased a MW3 about 2 weeks ago and went with the 6 speed and I can't get the hang of it either. I really don't like the 6th gear and reverse pattern either.... I love the jeep but it is taking some getting used to. I'm old school and new things take awhile to get confortable.
Same here, this is my first 6th spd as well after having three 5 spd's as DD's.. I've tried to shift into that non-existent 7th gear a few times
2009 Wrangler Sport JKU: 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ/17" Pro Comp Xtreme Wheels/ 3" BDS Lift/4:88 gears/ARB Lockers/ARB Air Compressor/Rugged Ridge Front Bumper/ Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch/Cold Air Intake/Borla Dual Exhaust/Tuffy Underseat Security and Trunk Enclosure/etc. etc. etc.
jeeptrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
cam36
2012 JK Wrangler 

i test drove one and i have no problem with the throttle, i guess I'm used to DBW but the clutch is just so soft its got like no feel to it lol
3inch BDS w/ bilstein 5100s
cam36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
spedly
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachbarnes View Post
I purchased a MW3 about 2 weeks ago and went with the 6 speed and I can't get the hang of it either. .
It makes really awesome sounds when you find revese instead of 6th at 50mph too.
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
lordmaniac
2012 JK Wrangler 

lmao @ rev 55
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
It makes really awesome sounds when you find revese instead of 6th at 50mph too.
LMAO, I've never fully shifted into reverse that fast but I have nicked the teeth.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

SprintBooster.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
MrChristopher
2011 JK Wrangler 

I learned how to drive a manual on my JK so however this 6 speed acts is how I think every other manual should act (even though I know that's not true...) so it's hard for me to point out problems and how to fix them. The problem I had was realizing that the clutch starts engaging when the pedal is about 3/4 released. I had such a hard time realizing where that grab point was, but once I found it, it was smooth sailing from thereon out. It's weird sitting in my buddy's TJ and feeling how hard the clutch pedal is to depress compared to my JK's clutch pedal. Maybe the softer clutch pedal is affecting you? I'm not sure, but I am sure that with more practice you'll get it down just like the rest of us. And I have also nicked the teeth of reverse while trying to get into 6th... Very alarming when you aren't expecting it
"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeeps cover the rest."
MrChristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
TxJeepers
2014 JK Wrangler 

LOL! My 2012 is not my first manual. I admit it took a couple/few weeks to get back in the groove after my last couple Jeeps were auto. The six speed and it's shift points took a little getting used to as well. I too have hit reverse a couple times at highway speeds and that is just not a good thing. Honestly, I'm not sure if it was the going to the 285/70r17's or taking it offroad the first time the next day that all of a sudden it stArted to feel a lot smoother to me. That was at 1200 miles or around 3 weeks. For me going from 5th to sixth is still not a smooth straight shot down. I swear I have conditiond myself to come out of fifth, move it ever so slightly towards reverse and then down to sixth . Otherwise I miss. Going to complain about that the first time a take in for warranty work. I am pretty much used to the tranny theses days and have no serious complaints. Give it time and you'll get used to it.
TxJeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

I havent noticed any difference between my new 6-speed 2012 and my older manual vehicles

If anything its easier than anything Ive owned in the past, as someone mentioned above you can damn near start from a stop without any gas. My girlfriend always had trouble with my TJ but she drives the new JKU like a champ.
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJeepers View Post
I swear I have conditiond myself to come out of fifth, move it ever so slightly towards reverse and then down to sixth . Otherwise I miss. Going to complain about that the first time a take in for warranty work.
I do notice the same thing. I havent done a ton of highway driving yet, so I havent used 6th much...but when I go from 5 to 6 I do come out of 5, over ever so slightly until you feel it hit the "stop", then down into 6th.

Im not sure how anyone could go into reverse when they mean to go into 6th. When you are sitting in your driveway put the Jeep in neutral, then go from left to right. Then continue right to where you'd go down into reverse...theres a sort of "wall" there...you really have to give it a bit extra to "break through" into where you'd go down into reverse.

I thought the same sorta thing when I first saw the set up with 6 gears, that itd be easy to accidently go into reverse...however after feeling how much extra you need to push it over I realized it should never really happen.
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I do not like dbw on a stick. But with constant self coaching and practice you will get smooth again. Then when you jump back into a cable throttle with stick you will find yourself anticipating the add throttle point and chirping rubber every time you shift!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.