New tires and lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New tires and lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
crumpcl
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also

Guys this is the first time i have ever used a forum or communicated on the web so thanks for your help.

crumpcl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #17
crumpcl
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ball joints

What is the best way to check the ball joints to see if there worn out? Just jack it up and look for play? And if there worn what is the best route or brand to replace them ?
crumpcl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jack up one front wheel about a n inch or 2 off the ground.
Place a ply bar under the tire and try and lift the tire even higher off the ground with the bar. If there is movement in the ball joints they should be replaced.
You may need an assistant to watch for play in the balljoints as you lift.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #19
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Spacers don't allow for correction of caster angles, no repositioning/recentering axle assemblies in the wheel wells or side-to-side, no extended brake lines... just asking for trouble IMHO. I'm ok with spacers around 1.5" to even 2" - but 3" is way out IMHO.

A 3" lift with adjustable control arms, brake line extensions, bumpstops, adjustable front trackbar and rear relocation bracket costs around $2500. That doesn't even include installation costs or a new driveshaft - which will also be needed sooner or later. However, money spent on a proper 3" lift will drive better than stock - even with big mud tires (set at proper pressure). Oh, and avoid RC.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:28 AM   #20
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
A 3" lift with adjustable control arms, brake line extensions, bumpstops, adjustable front trackbar and rear relocation bracket costs around $2500. That doesn't even include installation costs or a new driveshaft - which will also be needed sooner or later. However, money spent on a proper 3" lift will drive better than stock - even with big mud tires (set at proper pressure). Oh, and avoid RC.
You could spent that much and not get any control arms from AEV
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #21
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post

You could spent that much and not get any control arms from AEV
No he could have spent $1000. for the AEV dualsport lift and added the control arm drop brackets and been fine for quite a while. Unless you're dragging your Jeep through some serious rock gardens the drop brackets will work fine. That is NOT to say AEV is a be all end all all inclusive lift because it is not. Without spending upwards of $3000 you're not going to get everything you need.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #22
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

The 3.5 Dual Sport with shocks comes close to 2200? Not to mention the new driveshafts. Add one driveshaft and there is your 2500 mark. Without control arms.

I do agree. The right parts cost money

Edit: And not saying he needs 3.5, just closest to the numbers that have thrown around. Actually sounds like he would be better off with a 2.5. But who wants to go down.
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #23
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I hear ya, it's like the same topic with a different op every week. Search and search the info is out there.I think we have good intentions but get frustrated hearing the same issues.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #24
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpcl View Post
New to jeep forum, just got a 2008 wrangler x put 17" x 9" rims with 285/70/17 at tires and 3" lift. Jeep doesnt drive near as well as ugly stock tires and rims. Jeep has 60,000 miles so i dont think anything is worn out. Anyone have advice or is it completly normal for the steering to get worse? It's like driving in high winds all the time.
Honestly what I would do, is take the spacers and brackets off and return it to stock. If you like the driveability, then drive it like that. Those tires will fit. I've had 295/75/17s on my stock suspension and PSC Crusher flares.

Once you want to go bigger, lift it the right way. At 60K the best thing you could do now is replace the Ball joints. From what I've heard and my own experience, they are done usually before 60K and can cause all kind of issues.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.