New tires and lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New tires and lift

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 01-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
crumpcl
2008 JK Wrangler 

New tires and lift

New to jeep forum, just got a 2008 wrangler x put 17" x 9" rims with 285/70/17 at tires and 3" lift. Jeep doesnt drive near as well as ugly stock tires and rims. Jeep has 60,000 miles so i dont think anything is worn out. Anyone have advice or is it completly normal for the steering to get worse? It's like driving in high winds all the time.

crumpcl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Well...which lift? Tires? What else did you change?
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The entire steering system is probably worn out and thats why it was traded in. You should trade it for a new one, then get a lift kit for that one and when the steering goes to crap, trade it for another one. Without knowing what kind of lift kit you have it is impossible to answer your question seriously. You altered the steering when you lifted it and if you didnt fix the steering geometry than you messed up the steering. Inexpensive lifts will not make driving more enjoyable, but they will help you spend more time in the garage trying to figure out why you have crap steering.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

what are you running for PSI. most people over inflate tires once they change to big wide tires. Are your tires E rated? If so then much of the ride is from using a f350 tire on 1/2 ton.

None of that applies then it may well be the lift and its flaws and or worn parts.

Example stock mine was 37psi on the stock 32ish.

35x12.5x15 on a 15x8 27psi max on the road. if i ran the tires C rated max of 35 i would bounce across the highway.
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Again type of lift, what stock components were kept, who did your alignment, are your tires over inflated. Alot of the little things can change how your jeep drives.
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
crumpcl
2008 JK Wrangler 

Modifications

The Lift is a 3" Rough Country, just spacers over the springs and shock mount ext. Tires are Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17 running @35 psi. I'm taking it for a front end alignment tomorrow so that may help. I guess some busings could be worn at 60K, Iw was a daily driver and i dont think it has ever seen the dirt untile i got it. Thanks for all the responses. I just read the stiffen up steering post and i'm pretty sure where talking about the same issue.

Last edited by crumpcl; 01-16-2014 at 10:46 AM..
Unread 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Well that's a pretty poor way to lift a vehicle. I see no reason why it would handle better than it is.
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Agreed it takes more parts then spacers and shock extensions to properly lift 3" and have it ride properly. Also drop your tire pressure down to about 30psi.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

RC lift tells me all I need to know. Until you do a "proper" lift your drive is what it is.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
crumpcl
2008 JK Wrangler 

same stuff

Took it to get the front end aligned, tie rod end threads are frozen, toe end is out and camfer( I think that's what it's called is off a bit). Putting some knocker loose on it or heat and will be able get it free. Is there a place on the site that shows all the components of the front end ? may need to order some new parts and if I do what would be some good upgrades to the steering instead of putting stock rod ends, bar ect. Thanks in advance for serious help.
Unread 01-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

You're better off ordering an aftermarket tie rod with adjustable heavy duty ends. Your stock unit is only adjustable on one end as you may or may not know. It's camber your referring to and may be due to a worn ball joint which the JK is known to eat stock units as well.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #12
crumpcl
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tie rod and ends

Yea I noticed it was only adj. on one side. Who makes a good aftermarket ? Is it better to have the adj. on both ends? What about replacing the ball joints as well?
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #13
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Synergy makes a stout replacement tie rod with greasable ends they also make replacement ball joints check out their site. There are a few vendors here that offer discounts to forum members so you will save some cash there.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

The way your Jeep is lifted is not the best way. 3 inches changes the geometry quite a bit and your Jeep will be plagued with issues as you continue to drive it. It's expensive to lift it 3 inches. Also, a 285/70/17 is about a 33 inch tire which can fit on a stock height Jeep with properly spaced wheels.
Unread 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
crumpcl
2008 JK Wrangler 

Butter jeep I guess ur saying take the lift off if it continues to be flighty and I will. Thanks boss for ur help. I took the rod and ends off today and heated them to get them loose then I drilled and put grease fittings in. So they can align it next week. I'll replace with a better tie rod if necessary. I ran across a site that showed all of the front end parts but can't find it now so if any one knows of it that would help. I don't know if this jeep came from up north or what but the threads on everything under it are pretty rusted! No dirt just frozen nuts. Thanks for y'all's help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.