New Rubicon Owner.... Couple ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New Rubicon Owner.... Couple ?'s

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
TB2211
2010 JK Wrangler 

New Rubicon Owner.... Couple ?'s

I'm new to world of jeeps and have a couple quick questions if any one can assist. Just purchased a new 2010 Rubicon Unlimited yesterday after years of driving various german vehicles (mercedes, vw, etc.). Needless to say this is a very different vehicle then I am use to.. but after years of annual trips to Colorado to go 4-wheeling I figured it was time to pull the trigger. From a fuel/oil perspective what are most people using? I have always used premium fuel (91 octane) and synthetic oil (Mobile 1) on my prior cars and figured I would do the same with my new jeep. Is this recommend? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to modding and chatting with everyone. Thanks in advance.

Fuel Recommendation?

Oil Recommendation?

Any other general info for a first time Jeep owner?

TB2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you can use just 87 octane and personally I dont think it matters what oil you use, but thats just personal opinion. Oh and DONT forget to wave, especially if your in a rubicon
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Armycop
2008 JK Wrangler 

I use Mobil One oil and regular 87 octane gas. Unless you run a tuner like the Superchip, you don't need 91.
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

yeah I am running the Hypertech 87 tune and very happy. IMO there is no need to run a stronger octane tune unless you have an SC or 8 cyl.
And yes dont forget to wave! Congrats on the new Rubi !!!
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
TurtleSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
IsleSeat
2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the Forum!
IsleSeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you can swing it, I supose you could use premium fuel and synthetic oil. I did that with my '92 Wrangler. With my new Rubi, I plan on using regular gas (87 octane) and regular oil. My oil changes are free through the dealership, so that's a win for me.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

mobil 1 syn 5w-20, and 87 octane. i came from 3 MK5 GTIs and not having to use premium gas is killer.
Unread 06-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

From the 2008 Owners Manual: All engines (except 5.7L engines) are designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended. Under normal conditions, the use of premium gasoline will not provide a benefit over high quality regular gasoline, and in some circumstances may result in poorer performance.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
From the 2008 Owners Manual: All engines (except 5.7L engines) are designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended. Under normal conditions, the use of premium gasoline will not provide a benefit over high quality regular gasoline, and in some circumstances may result in poorer performance.

i agree i noticed this first hand. ive been running 87 in my 2010 rubi and i get around 16 on the highway. went to fill up for the return trip home about 2.5 hrs. and the station i went to only had premium 92. so i bit the bullet. and only got 15 on the return. same road same weather with cruise control.

2010 rubicon JK
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

I love the fact I can use 87 regular, I think it's the first vehicle I've ever owned that I could. Regarding syn oil, you can search threads here for days reading opinions. On my TJ, a tech at a dealer told me to err on the side of caution, and not use syn oil until after 30.000 miles to let the rings seat. I think this is overly cautious.

A Jeep specialty shop I just took my JK Rubi to recommends Mobil 1 and the owner uses it in his Jeeps. On my next oil change at 15,000 miles, I'll probably be putting Mobil 1 in. Opinions here are all around the board as to when to switch to syn oil, some from the first change and some use only dino.

Jeep engines seem to be pretty bullet-proof and you don't see many, if any, nightmare stories about catastrophic engine failures. I've heard stories about TJ 4 liter engines coming in for oil changes (driven by chicks) with NO oil and not being damaged. I heard a story about Cash for Clunkers, where they poured the caustic death juice into a Jeep 4 liter engine and it took 2.5 hours for it to die. I hope the V-6's in the JK's are as hearty.

Last edited by tennistom1; 06-14-2010 at 11:01 AM..
tennistom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #11
ormandj

An engine is an engine, I'd run synthetic oil in it if I was you. I switched all of my older vehicles over (and noticed less 'dirty' oil on each change thereafter), and all of the newer vehicles I own run whatever comes in them until it's oil change time, and then I swap to synthetic.

I'd also stick with 87 octane, as it's what the engine was designed to run. As noted in the previous post, running higher octane petrol isn't going to give you any benefit. Actually, it might have one benefit on the trail - reducing ground pressure by a few PSI - as your wallet will be significantly lighter.
ormandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
TB2211
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for everyones input. I can already tell that I'm going to be spending some nice quality time at the old gas pump. I'll probably wait until my first oil change and then switch over to mobile 1. Thanks again
TB2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom1 View Post
caustic death juice.
Do you really expect us to know what you are referring to?
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
Corndart
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
Do you really expect us to know what you are referring to?
Maybe this will help.

YouTube - Cash for Clunkers- 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Corndart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #15
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Use regular 87 octane, the ECU is not really tuned to use higher grade fuels. I am sure it might adjust if you did, but I wouldn't waste the $ on the 92.

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic every 5k - seems to work great for me. The manual suggests you only change every 6k and that is assuming cheap dino oil (non-synth) so I think every 5k is fine with full synthetic. I'm not going to 3k changes until maybe it gets much, much older/higher mileage or I start burning/leaking it...
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.