New Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New Rubicon

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
MYounts
2014 JK Wrangler 

New Rubicon

Does anyone know the rationale for the Rubicon having smaller tires than the Sahara? I thought big tires were the end all, be all for off road?

MYounts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Rubi is 32(more like 31.5) rim size its better to have less rim MORE tire.
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
spinlock

They are nominally the same size. If they are larger it is because the wheel itself is larger and you need some sidewall to protect the wheels and provide a reasonable ride.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

the Rubicon has 32" mud tires (BFG KM) on a 17" wheel. The Sahara has street tires on an 18" wheel. It's not the size it is the type of tire.

A 30" MTR/K will out preform a 32" highway terrain any day off road.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon has smaller tires than the Sahara? News to me. The Sahara has 18" wheels, while the Rubicon has smaller 17" wheels. I thought the tires were pretty close to the same diameter though?
MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think the Sahara comes with 265 width and the Rubicon with 255s. Very similar diameter, and the MTs are obviously better off road
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mathematically, they are the same outer diameter.

Size
255/75-17 (Rubicon)
255/70-18 (Sahara)

Sidewall
7.5"
7.0"

Radius
16.0"
16.0"

Diameter
32.1"
32.1"

Circumference
100.7"
100.7"

Revolutions / Mile

They're close enough that you wouldn't need to reprogram your speedo for accuracy if switching between the two (putting Rubi take-offs on a Sahara).

Only thing to remember is that not all tires are the same, and two different tire models the same size could / do measure differently.

BadHammers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Another Uconnect Question

Everytime I sell a Wrangler I miss it. The wife approves and I should be picking up a 2014 this week.

As it sits right now I will be getting the NAV radio but not the connectivity package. I could care less about the info center but I do want to be able to make calls and hook up the iphone for music.

Does anyone have experience with the kit to do this? It looks like an easy install, but does the dealer need to get involved?

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
Everytime I sell a Wrangler I miss it. The wife approves and I should be picking up a 2014 this week.

As it sits right now I will be getting the NAV radio but not the connectivity package. I could care less about the info center but I do want to be able to make calls and hook up the iphone for music.

Does anyone have experience with the kit to do this? It looks like an easy install, but does the dealer need to get involved?
Get the Connectivity Group and forgo the navigation system. The navigation units Chrysler puts in Jeeps are antiquated garbage. The Connectivity Group is what gives you the UConnect features you're looking for. You can easily plug your iPod into the radio (via the inside of the center console) or stream BT audio such as Pandora and you'll save a good $500, if not more. Need a nav? Use your phone. It'll be 10x better, more accurate, and less expensive in the long run anyway.
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
scbroder
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
Get the Connectivity Group and forgo the navigation system. The navigation units Chrysler puts in Jeeps are antiquated garbage. The Connectivity Group is what gives you the UConnect features you're looking for. You can easily plug your iPod into the radio (via the inside of the center console) or stream BT audio such as Pandora and you'll save a good $500, if not more. Need a nav? Use your phone. It'll be 10x better, more accurate, and less expensive in the long run anyway.
I came to the same conclusion after researching the available options.
scbroder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.