New Rough Country 3.5" JK lift?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New Rough Country 3.5" JK lift??

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #31
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp83 View Post
second of all, there are MANY things that go into pricing a product, not just material costs...it's counterintuitive to say that just because the product costs less, that it is of lesser quality

I thought, "you get what you pay for" was intuitive, not counterintuitive.

On the contrary, RC has cleaned up their act on several things.

After being exposed in the forums, they stopped selling a 1.25" body lift to 6 speed owners they knew would cause shifter clearance problems. Months later, they developed a shifter relocation bracket that would make it work and waited to start selling it to 6 speed owners again until the bracket was available.

After being exposed on the forums for selling 2.5"-4" lifts they said would clear 35s without rubbing, they stopped saying that their lifts will allow the use of 35" tires without rubbing with only their in-shock bumpstops.

I could go on, but they have been responsive on some things.

Comments specific to their 3.5" lift for $500:

It has fixed front lower control arms instead adjustable, so you cannot dial in your caster and cross caster alignment specs. Because every jeep is slightly different, the ability to adjust caster and cross caster is important to avoid drifting and flightly steering. The drift usually is to the passenger side without the appropriate level of cross caster.

It does have extended bumpstops. So, you can run 35s with stock flares with it.

The drop pitman arm and trackbar relocation bracket approach puts undue leverage on the sector shaft and the trackbar bracket. With heavy use, it will result in a damaged sector shaft without a sector shaft brace, and it will result in increased leverage on the wimpy stock trackbar bracket welds. If you buy the kit, you should add an adjustable front trackbar in place of the drop pitman arm and trackbar relocation bracket--especially if you offroad much with heavier tires.

If run on a 2 door, it will eventually cause the rear driveshaft to fail due to the share rear angles on the driveshaft joints.

Also if run on a 2 door, some users will have a problem with the rear passenger spring having too little clearance with the rear trackbar.

The rear trackbar relocation bracket only has one bolt to attach it to the stock frameside bracket. Other manufacturers use an additional gusset and bolt to secure it to the frame side bracket to prevent the system from working itself loose or wallowing bolt holes.

With an automatic JK lifted 3.5", when the suspension is flexed the stock front driveshaft boot will tear on the stock automatic transmission pan. Eventually, the slip part of the driveshaft will begin to squeak, and the driveshaft should be replaced.

Other than that, I have no idea about how those shocks ride compared to the older, stiffer 2.2 shocks. I would be interested to know if they are softer.

Here is a pic of what you get:

planman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #32
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Planman. Why would you spend more money than the spacers are worth to send to a lab if you doubted it to just buy Spidertrax in the long run? That just seems kind of odd to me. Are you some kind of P.I? Do you work for Spidertrax? I think that it is awesome you took the time and effort to do that but seems like you went out of the way maybe to make a point not sure. Have we had any fail? NO!! We have even done pull test on them on a Tennison Olsen machine and have yet stretch any studs or had any issues on them.
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #33
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Jeffry,

Of course your opinion would be that RC is the best brand out there and I respect that. However, do you have any information that you could supply to us that shows that RC stands up the competition as far as quality goes? As you can see, RC is not the most respected brand name at this time.....for example, a shop here in Georgia will not sell or install RC lifts because they say that they "just plain suck". On the other end, there is another shop that sells and promotes the RCX lifts and recommends them to everyone for price and quality. any objective information such as planmans information will do.

thanks!
mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #34
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Country
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #35
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME View Post
Never said we are the best and I will never down ANYBODIES product or name. I have run many lifts in my life as I have not always worked for RC. But there is no need to run down a company for the people that have never run or owned one of our products. If you have no experience in it why would you comment?
honestly, after reading your posts, it makes me question the quality of people that work at RC and inherently makes me question the quality of the product...guess i'll be going with the AEV lift
mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #36
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Planman you are right. Some things have been changed and been corrected as you had mentioned above. We have really turned our name around in the past few years by changing alot of our R&D processes and getting better quality control and listening more of to what people want and not just what we want to produce. If you look at our Jeep market we try to compete with everyone out there at alot better price. Mthomp, sorry to affend and honestly dont see how I did but apparently you took it the wrong way. AEV has some really nice products and good luck with you Jeep. There is also a thread on JK_forum.com about the 3.5 kit.
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #37
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

If I were to run a kit for 35s from RC, I would order directly from Jeffry with a phone call.

I'd do the $500 3.5" lift but have him substitute:

fixed lower front arms for adjustable front lower arms
the front trackbar bracket and drop pitman arm for an adjustable front trackbar

Then, if I had a 2 door, I would ask him to add:

rear coil degree correction wedges
rear lower coil clamps
front swaybar disconnects

To answer Jeffry's question about me, I am just an over-analytical financial planner and real estate developer with too much time on my hands.

I don't work for any manufacturer or vendor of any automotive parts, and I don't have any of them as clients.

Our family has 4 jeeps, a rock buggy, a 1 ton dually, and a 3 car wedge trailer to get places. We spend about 4 solid weeks wheeling a year, plus another 8-10 weekends.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #38
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think its awesome you did all of that. And envy you for getting to wheel as much as you do. I do good to make it 4-5 times a year.
Unread 09-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #39
Maximous
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the RC 4", I put it on in early August 2010. Yes, it was 500ish and I do believe you get what you pay for. It may not be the best lift out there but for 500?? It rides a little rougher than stock but it's not bad. I will probably change some things in the future and I can see the driveshaft being an issue eventually but for 500ish (in just the lift) I was able to go to 35's, the jeep looks great and is a blast in the woods.

I have a 2010 Sahara, manual with 3:73's. I was on a tight budget for wheels/tires and lift and the deal fit perfect overall, I considered many variations. I went with 17" MT's with MTZ's. I have no spacers and no issues that I am aware of...other than blowing out the spider gears and power steering pump...yea, that's another story and unrelated to the lift

The RC was well worth the money to me, if you can afford a nice long travel lift then yea I would consider others but value wise I think it is a good deal. I did consider the Rancho but I was turned off by the rebate, just sell it for 500...if they did that I would have bought it just because I knew the name...(this is my first Wrangler)

My complaints on the system:

One shock was missing one sleeve and bushing...pressed it out of one of the factory shocks and pressed it into the RC shock.

The brake line brackets suck... you really need longer lines...again you get what you pay for.

Install took right at 3 hours on a lift...probably much longer without air tools and on the ground.

I will likely change the shocks to adjustable shocks in the future. The gear ratio is drivable but I intend to change to 4:88's. As I mentioned I will change to longer brake lines though I have not yet, the brackets are useable but it's a little scary if you have to lift the jeep.

Other than the sleeve and bushing the quality was fine. I have no other system to compare it to as far as the finish quality but I do powder coat things myself here at home and I looked everything that was coated over well and it was fine.

Not a scientific evaluation and I am an engineer by trade... my opinion is that you get what you pay for and it's worth the 500 bucks.
Maximous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #40
badgerking
2008 JK Wrangler 

I definately agree. I am running the series II 3.5" lift and I am very happy with it so far. I think the ride is actually better than the stock Rubicon suspension it replaced too.

To those commenting with no personal experience, I figure if you've not run the products you ought to shut up and keep your opinions, which are based upon heresay at best, to yourself.
badgerking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #41
JUPITERSAHARA
2010 JK Wrangler 

When I had my TJ I ordered a RC 2.5 Progressive Spring lift with the 2.5 Performance shocks and 2.2 steering stabilizer. It was a great kit, easy to install, rode well and I had no complaints with quality at all. Jeff and the guys at RC were great to work with and I'd have no problem putting another RC product on my JK. I have still not heard from anyone actually running this new 3.5" kit on their JK....
4 speed Automatic
Stock....for now!!!
JUPITERSAHARA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #42
badgerking
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERSAHARA View Post
When I had my TJ I ordered a RC 2.5 Progressive Spring lift with the 2.5 Performance shocks and 2.2 steering stabilizer. It was a great kit, easy to install, rode well and I had no complaints with quality at all. Jeff and the guys at RC were great to work with and I'd have no problem putting another RC product on my JK. I have still not heard from anyone actually running this new 3.5" kit on their JK....
Uhhhh, read the post right above yours.
Unread 09-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #43
JUPITERSAHARA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerking View Post
Uhhhh, read the post right above yours.
Finally I get someone who's acturally running the lift and has experience! Tell me more...are you running a 2 or 4 door?? Auto or manual tranny? etc. Did you modify or change any of the kit components?? Have you had a chance to wheel with the lift?? Thanks for any information you give!!
4 speed Automatic
Stock....for now!!!
JUPITERSAHARA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #44
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jupiter I am running it on mine too.

Unread 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #45
badgerking
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERSAHARA View Post
Finally I get someone who's acturally running the lift and has experience! Tell me more...are you running a 2 or 4 door?? Auto or manual tranny? etc. Did you modify or change any of the kit components?? Have you had a chance to wheel with the lift?? Thanks for any information you give!!
2 door, auto. Didn't modify any of the components. Wheeled a little on some small stuff, nothing to really push it yet. Will be wheeling this weekend so I'll have a better take on it then.

Tags
3 1/2" lift , JK Wrangler , questions , reviews , rough country , rough country lift , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.