New member with mounting issues in 2007 JK Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New member with mounting issues in 2007 JK Wrangler

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Vete-Ema
2007 JK Wrangler 

New member with mounting issues in 2007 JK Wrangler

Hello Jeep-philes. I just came back from the dealership emotionally exhausted and need some fellow Jeep member advice. I have a 2007 JK with 96,000 km that has a coolant leak from the intake manifold gasket, right side of heat shield missing, loose ball joints, deteriorating spark plugs, and need to replace ignition leads. Total quote around $2000. In your experience, should I cut my loses and trade it in for a new one or invest and hope I can keep it going for many years to come car payment free?

This is my first Jeep would love to hear from people with some Jeep ownership history because I'm quite lost with what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Vete-Ema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Assuming you already have it paid for and have had a relatively trouble free experience so far with it I would keep it for a few more years. Put another 96K on it and call it good then.

Chances are you will have to put some more moeny into it through maintenance but I seriously doubt that you will reach anywhere near the average cost of a new Wrangler (figuring about $28K or $29K average) in the next five or six years just on maintenance cost.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Dealers typically have high prices and the work isn't always better. I would get some quotes from other good shops.

I think if you fix some stuff you will get a lot of years out of it. However, if your market is like mine I could sell my used jk for basically what I paid for it in 07. The new jk's have a great engine/transmission combo.

I think either direction would be a good one. If you have a lot of mods it probably isn't worth trading it in.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I am a firm believer in the hold strategy. I paid 48,000 in 2002 for a new Cadillac DHS and some of my friends called me pretentious. 12 years and 238,000 miles later I have spent roughly an additional 12,000 in repairs and maintenance (including tires, brakes etc). Today I still have a VERY nice (still smells of fresh leather inside and the body and paint I have maintained exceptionally well by simply washing every month and waxing once a year), comfortable and SOLID vehicle - that rides better than ANY of the "value" sedans ever could even brand new! I can drive it a 12 hour day and arrive a bit worn but not exhausted - a Lumina would have me beat by 8 hours in ITS seat.

One of the friends that called me pretentious has thoroughly eaten his words when we compared costs - he bought a Chevy Lumina in late 02 drove it 90K miles, traded it in on a Pontiac Grand Am which he drove 75K, and now drives a Chrysler sedan - all three considered "frugal" (18-22K range) purchases. His costs for the three vehicles and maint, are right around 67,000. A bit more expensive than my 60! BUT the big caveat here is that the base vehicle you are holding MUST be high enough quality to return that value. Those Lumina's Grand Ams etc are simply NOT that high of a quality so can not be expected to return that over time - in high mileage cases like I drive (I average 32K a year across my vehicles). If I drove less miles it would still work out WITH A QUALITY VEHICLE - as the DHS would have been the last car I buy - giving me 25 years instead of 12!

The wrangler IS a vehicle that can be held a long time and return the value of driving it for years with no payment. That 2000 repair bill you are facing is 5 months of typical car payment. A lot lower than all 12!
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have to laugh at the thought that the JK is a "high quality" vehicle.....sorry.

I've owned over 40 cars and trucks, and of that list, the ones I'd consider "high quality" didn't need ball joints, water pumps, intake manifold gaskets, door lock actuators, calipers, etc........all before 55,000 miles. My JK has needed all of that list and them some.

Sure they hold their value well, but I think this is due more to the fact that there isn't any comparable vehicle. TJs held their value well too - I owned 4 of them.

I'll get crap for this I'm sure, but if almost anyone else made something comparable to the JKU (4 door, 4wd, removable top / doors), I'd buy it.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I pretty much agree/w rainmn--

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmn View Post
I have to laugh at the thought that the JK is a "high quality" vehicle.....sorry.

I've owned over 40 cars and trucks, and of that list, the ones I'd consider "high quality" didn't need ball joints, water pumps, intake manifold gaskets, door lock actuators, calipers, etc........all before 55,000 miles. My JK has needed all of that list and them some.

Sure they hold their value well, but I think this is due more to the fact that there isn't any comparable vehicle. TJs held their value well too - I owned 4 of them.

I'll get crap for this I'm sure, but if almost anyone else made something comparable to the JKU (4 door, 4wd, removable top / doors), I'd buy it.
Matter of fact, I was gonna be oneof the first to buy a new Hummer H4, but you know how that went-

I've handled all of the MINOR problems myself, but my engine doesn't use any oil and the intake gaskets are still operating, no coolant fluid dissappearing and no ticks, or ignition troubles-

I've corrected any auto tranny fluid leaks or "overheating" problems so thats OK-changed gears so the auto tranny is highly operational

I've corrected rain leaks and upper wind noises, so thats OK

My steering wheel is setctr/ caster adjusted/toein correct and ride handling is superb, so at this point--

So after ALL THAT, I also wouldn't callit a "High Quality" vehicle-

I consider my jeep at this time very satisfactory/extra functional and not equaled by any stock vehicle-but

Still not "High Quality"-

Smokemifyougotem

JIMBO

I
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Value wise, you're better off fixing it because the repairs with this many miles will not come close to the cost of a new Jeep payment. Like said above, put another 96K on it.

Up to you though. It's less expensive to get the work done, but more of a hassle. Many people trade vehicles simply because they want new ones, not because they NEED to.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

At 100k, stuff happens. I have 102k on mine and so far not to many problems. Spark plugs and wires at 100k are not worth complaining about. They should be replaced at 50k. Depending on how you drive, ball joints can wear as well. The coolant leak is something you have to deal with. It happens to some, not to others.
At 102k I've done brake pads twice, new rotors as well. Drivers side exhaust manifold covered under Unlimited Lifetime Warranty. Leaking rear axle seal, covered under ULW. New plugs and wires. There was a slow door actuator but has mysteriously healed itself. Today a car at 100k miles is doing better than cars from 20 years ago at 50k. I'd keep it and go to an independent mechanic. He will save you money. Plugs and wires you can fix for $60 in parts and DIY labor. Brakes are also an easy DIY.
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I guess this is where you look at the differences and what is defined as a quality vehicle. The H2 and H3 will never go as far and a problem free as a Jk. You compare a vehicle that spend 100% of its life on road to a JK that has hours Offroad and in mud then wonder why it needs balljoints at 55k.
I have 145,000 on my Jk and still have all original steering components and balljoints. Up until lately my 08 has been 90% road (30% of that is winter in 4WD) and now finally it is due for some upgrades.
To the OP I say have it fixed by a trustworthy shop and enjoy it for many more miles.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
At 100k, stuff happens.
The OP doesn't have 100k miles....he has 96k kilometers, or about 60k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
I guess this is where you look at the differences and what is defined as a quality vehicle. The H2 and H3 will never go as far and a problem free as a Jk. You compare a vehicle that spend 100% of its life on road to a JK that has hours Offroad and in mud then wonder why it needs balljoints at 55k.
First, I wouldn't drive an H2 or H3 if they were free.

Second, as much as I hate to say it, my JK has extremely limited time offroad. I bought it with 50k on it a year ago....from a woman who I can almost guarantee never left pavement with it.

In the year and 5k miles I've owned it, I've had it offroad all of 2 times, both of which were only on fire roads.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I didn't expect many to agree with mine on a Jeep forum.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

$2000 is cheaper than a new car payment.
And like said above, a dealer will charge you about twice what a regular shop will charge you. A lot of that can be fixed yourself. Intake manifold gasket ($20), heat shield (about $30), new ball joints ($200 for Synergy), spark plugs (about $30), ignition leads (about $30). TOTAL COST (DIY): $310 + beer for a friend to help you.

96,000Km is kinda low mileage for those repairs. But things do break down.

I have 276,376 miles (444,623 km) on my '92 Accord (my DD). It recently had the transmission overhauled, and I've had to do typical maintenance on it over the years. But still, I came out ahead doing most of the work myself vs buying a new car. I'll keep driving it until all 4 wheels simultaneously fall off of it.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=rainmn;16000177]The OP doesn't have 100k miles....he has 96k kilometers, or about 60k miles.

Right you are. The brain is thinking miles. 60k km is still a good time to replace plugs and wires.
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Vete-Ema
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank you!

Thanks for all your feedback. I would love the freedom of doing repairs myself. How did you guys learn to do work on your own Jeeps? I watched a youtube video on replacing ball joints, for example, and wouldn't want to be practicing that on my own car!

Should I buy the parts myself and take them to an independent mechanic? I live in Australia so importing parts is not cheap. Im sure they would try to make a profit by inflating prices for parts too! Finding a good mechanic that knows anything Jeeps may be a challenge which is why I've been going to my dealer. Wranglers are getting more popular so hopefully that will change.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their thoughts.
Vete-Ema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

A mixture of trial & error, YouTube and most helpful of all has been reading threads here on JeepForum.

I promise you, all of these fixes are relatively simple. Can you recognize the difference between a socket wrench and a crescent wrench? If yes, then you have the basic skills to do all these repairs yourself. If not, well, use Google and YouTube.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
Bayrat
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well as owner of many Jeeps/models and also of a 2009 H3 with the V8 I can honestly say that my last Jeep, a 2008 Rubicon, was more trouble free initially (some emission parts replaced), however, they were never able to fix the water leaks. The H3 has had its share of issues over the past 90k miles such as brakes, leaky rear main seal, steering rack and tie rods, both front wheel bearings and some minor exterior trim issues. I would dare say the JKs are fairly equal in issues to other US made 4x4 vehicles. If my new Unlimited turns out to be a problematic vehicle I will trade it for a Jap vehicle before the warranty is up.
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.