New JPMagazine Article on JK Pros and Cons - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New JPMagazine Article on JK Pros and Cons

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #106
azcoyote

The Sahara was out way before the movie. What confuses me is the Sahara is an entiely different model than the Rubicon. So how this has a combine Rubicon Sahara name?? Strange....

I think the only real concern with the engine is that it may be underpowered for the new size of the Unlimited and that it is the first time to be installed longitudinally and with that transmission. Those things aside, it does look OK...

Unread 09-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #107
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcoyote
The Sahara was out way before the movie. What confuses me is the Sahara is an entiely different model than the Rubicon. So how this has a combine Rubicon Sahara name?? Strange....
That's my point. The Sahara model is what came in the earlier Jeeps. It was indeed an entirely different model just like the X, Sport and Rubicon. The '05 Rubicon Sahara is an appearance upgrade that was part of the promotion for the movie. I recall the advertising campaign. I don't think that this package has anything to do with the earlier Sahara model. Like I said, if I'm wrong please correct me on this.

Quote:
I think the only real concern with the engine is that it may be underpowered for the new size of the Unlimited and that it is the first time to be installed longitudinally and with that transmission. Those things aside, it does look OK...
I agree that with the bigger Unlimited the 3.8L may not have enough "oomph". I guess it depends on how it's tuned, what the gearing is and just how much the UL actually weighs. My Grand Voyager was no lightweight and it moved along quite well.

Mounting it longitudinally shouldn't make much difference. It's done all the time. A front wheel, transverse mounted engine is often mounted longitudinally in a RWD vehicle and vice-versa.

I'd be more concerned about an all new design of the tranny, drivetrain and electronic gizmos, not to mention quality control issues. That's the stuff that is often buggy with all new models and needs to be worked out over time. Hopefully the JK won't suffer through the afflictions that is often prevalent in all new designs during the first year.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #108
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Backroads

I was also not aware that so many other Jeeps offered the 2WD option as well so I stand corrected in my assumption that all Jeeps are 4WD. Live and learn.
Well, at least all Wranglers were 4WD

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #109
Laxstar46

i think the sahara was the same thing as the rubicon it was likke the "top of the line" jeep wrangler but then they came out with the rubicon and stopped making the sahara until now with the jk's now they replaced the sport with sahara and got rid of se so now they have x sahara and rubicon..... i think that's right but yea sahara has been around for a long time like since the yj age
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 05:01 AM   #110
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeep.com/sahara/wrangler.html
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #111
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There you go! It was a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited with an appearance package. No relation to the Sahara model of previous years or the current JK Sahara model.

BTW, the Jeep in the movie Sahara was a Sport, not a Rubicon. It had Ravine wheels. I found that quite amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr

Have you ever watched Seinfeld?
Sure did! Are you referring to the hilarious episode where Newman and Kramer take a joy ride cross country in a mail truck?

Quote:
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Unread 09-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #112
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Not sensitive in the slightest. It's just that a month ago, I spent some time up on the Rubicon with the media and several good friends assisting with the JK launch. As such, I had the opportunity to compare them side by side with the very top of the line TJ.

As most know who spend any time around me, I'm pretty objective and open minded when it comes to new stuff, but I was unprepared for just how much better the JK was than the TJ after driving both offroad. (SWB)

And frankly I've grown weary of all the bashing by those who have no clue what they are talking about, (not you) and was glad to see the admins of this site take control and confine this forum to Tech, just like the other Tech forums.

So, if you don't like the JK and don't own one, take your opinions to GD where you have been instructed to do so by the owner of the board. Seems simple, eh?

I drove one and I post my thoughts and you try to say it's bashing. There are a lot of things I don't like about it and also the TJ. I'll say what I feel as long as it's related to these. Good or bad.

Last edited by neZZr; 09-30-2006 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: No name calling
buddastrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #113
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcoyote
What I find funny is this... If there was a truly inspired engine in the JK, I bet 90% of the naysayers would change their tunes overnight. There are tons of great changes on the JK. Stronger axles, elect-discos, slightly wider.

I bought my 06 LJ knowing that I was getting the last of a great breed.
I look at the JK and I think I could drive the SWB version and like it.
The LWB is gonna take me some time to accept...

If they offer a Diesel in 08-09 I am in trouble. The TJ will be history. Period.

+1
buddastrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #114
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddastrat
I drove one and I post my thoughts and you try to say it's bashing. There are a lot of things I don't like about it and also the TJ. I'll say what I feel as long as it's related to these. Good or bad.

Hey, it's good to see you back. Still haven't quite got the hang of not calling folks names yet I see. Too bad.
Unread 09-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #115
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Backroads
Sure did! Are you referring to the hilarious episode where Newman and Kramer take a joy ride cross country in a mail truck?
No, I was talking about when Jerry asked Newman why he wasn't at work today, and Newman exclaimed "It's raining!"

Sorry for OT...

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #116
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
No, I was talking about when Jerry asked Newman why he wasn't at work today, and Newman exclaimed "It's raining!"

Sorry for OT...
I forgot about that one! No soup for me!

Quote:
Unread 10-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #117
mauleskyrocket

That is a completely juvenile article. Talk about rationalization vs. reality. Must have been some high school kid wrote it.
mauleskyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #118
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauleskyrocket
That is a completely juvenile article. Talk about rationalization vs. reality. Must have been some high school kid wrote it.
That is a complitely puerile post. Somebody who knows much less then the author of the magazine article offers no points of his own, just a bit of whining.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.