New JPMagazine Article on JK Pros and Cons - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New JPMagazine Article on JK Pros and Cons

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #76
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Didn't mean to get you all worked up there... What I wanted to point out was that you have all these people who know fully well that all the numbers point to the 3.8 being the better engine but "in their heart" they just know that the 4.0 is better and faster just because it "feels" better.. Like in: "I drove the JK and the 3.8 sucks, the 4.0 in my TJ _feels_ much peppier"... Talk about letting your emotions get in your way.
I mean really, the 4.0 had to go, it really, really, _really_ had to go. I would have loved to see a modern I6, but I cannot fault DC for trying to consolidate engines, that's one of the reasons the new jeep is less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemd98
Ok not to offend, but these kind of comments make me angry, just like how the comments of "JK's suck" make you mad.

The 3.8 is only better on paper. it has not been on the market or on the road long enough to say that. Like for example the 4.9 cadillac motor made in the early 90's is a awesome motor (if you ever had one you would know) it was rated at 200 hp and 275 foot pounds. then in 94 i believe the 4.6 north star came out... "HECK it's a better motor. i mean it's rated at 275 hp and 275 foot pounds..." then they came out with a 300 hp/295 foot pounds 4.6. On paper the 4.6 is a better motor, but later down the road you find out that the 4.9 is actually a better motor, due to the fact that it will go over 200k strong and it might even hit 300k, and the 4.6 starts to die around 140k. I have seen both motors and have helped my dad work on the cars. My sisters 96 eldorado with the 300 hp 4.6 and 130K has needed more work in the last year then the 93 4.9 deville, with 201k, has in the past 3 years. Plus we talked to a mechanic who said that the North stars are junk after 120k... that comment is not a good one cause there are north stars out there that have over 140k that I know of... But the reputation of the motor is not the best. The same could applie to the 3.8 vs the 4.0 .

so after all that rant all i'm trying to say is that just beacuse the 3.8 is better on paper, doesn't necesarily mean it is better.

LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #77
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&VRubicon
So I guess that 15 yeas on the market is not long enough to know anything about an engine.
from what i understand the 3.8 in the JK is new... it is based off of the minivan motor but, still a new design. If i'm wrong please correct me.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #78
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
from what i understand the 3.8 in the JK is new... it is based off of the minivan motor but, still a new design. If i'm wrong please correct me.
It's the same engine, the only difference is this is the first time it's been mounted longitudinally. There have been a few changes to make that work, but the internals are unchanged.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 10:56 PM   #79
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
It's the same engine, the only difference is this is the first time it's been mounted longitudinally.
i stand corrected... I still dont like it though . although by the time i concider a JK they will have been on the roads for a long time and maybe have a V8 by then...

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #80
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i stand corrected... I still dont like it though
Well, at least you're consistent...
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #81
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatchickens
There has never been a 2wd Wrangler....til now.

PS Postal Jeeps, the DJ were not part of the CJ family.
And your point is??
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:37 PM   #82
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
Well you learn something every day. Reguardless... 2WD & Jeep just doesn't make much sense. Wrangler or otherwise.
I have to disagree. Jeep sold plenty of 2WD XJs - didn't stop anyone from buying a 4WD XJ or dilute anyone's opinion of the brand. Toyota sells a ton of Tacoma PreRunner 2WD pickups, doesn't stop anyone from buying a Tacoma 4WD and Tacomas have a steller reputation in the market as a tough, off-road ready truck.

What if someone wants a Wrangler but doesn't need 4WD (I believe Jeep statistics show 40% of Wrangler owners never take their vehicle off-road). You would not give them an option to buy 2WD - why? Because it will somehow dilute the brand's reputation - I seriously doubt it. Because you don't want "soccer moms" or other unworthy people to drive a Wrangler?

What if someone drives gravel roads occassionally (high ground clearance a plus) and wants a convertable top - what other option do they have? What if someone never goes offroad but likes the Wrangler for whatever reason - they would rather buy a 2WD than a 4WD because it is cheaper to purchase and gets better fuel economy. There will be plenty of people that want/need a 2WD Wrangler and Jeep has wisely (IMHO) decided to let them purchase one.
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #83
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I want a Corvette station wagon with a 6 cylinder! Then I could take the whole family with my and save gas while still driving a Corvette! It wouldn't dilute the brand at all. Come on GM, build the Vette wagon!
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #84
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76
And your point is??
Reread his orginal post and you will see my response.
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:28 AM   #85
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76
What if someone wants a Wrangler but doesn't need 4WD (I believe Jeep statistics show 40% of Wrangler owners never take their vehicle off-road).

thats actually pretty high. Consider the stat for normal SUVs, is that 10% take them off road. So taht is 90% that doesnt.

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 02:59 AM   #86
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is crying over the 3.8??

So many people have ZERO problems dropping big bucks for a million upgrades to the suspension, wheels/tires, bumpers, tops, doors, xfer case, axles, etc., then they'll run down to the local stereo store and drop enough money on stereo crap to make sure the neighbors 2 blocks over can hear it, yet for some reason if they buy a vehicle that needs some money put into the engine then it's considered a major blunder by DCX? It's a proven reliable engine that been around for over 10 years.

Every review says the JK is better than the TJ off-road. The motor is really the main complaint that some have, so why not just take the money that you would have to spend on a TJ to make it equal a JK, and use the same amount to upgrade the JK's motor and then see how it compares to the 4.0?

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we'll have access to some parts for the 3.8 to up the numbers a little bit.
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #87
iismet

Quote:
I want a Corvette station wagon with a 6 cylinder! Then I could take the whole family with my and save gas while still driving a Corvette! It wouldn't dilute the brand at all. Come on GM, build the Vette wagon!
Exactly....
iismet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #88
Fat_Man

Quote:
http://www.skillin.com/1998/NewYork/...on%20Wagon.jpg

http://www.yeworld.net/index/Culture...image/p15k.jpg

http://www.accesscom.com/~alant/corv...corvettes.html

http://www.sheldonaubut.com/vettewagon/main.htm

Fat_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #89
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The thing is, people have asked for a 4dr Wrangler... apparently a lot of people. There has also been shown to be a market for 2wd Jeeps of different flavors.
A lot of you seem dead set on the notion that if YOU personally don't want some option then it simply shouldn't be offered to anyone.
I want a 2dr 4wd. I won't loose a bit of sleep if the next guy wants a 4dr, 2wd, lowered and painted mauve.
BTW, Corvette station wagons have been made... for a scant few people who wanted them, but, not by Chevy as there was so little demand.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #90
iismet

Oh Yea!
iismet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.