New JPMagazine Article on JK Pros and Cons - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New JPMagazine Article on JK Pros and Cons

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #31
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
The reason there was no mention is because it's not an issue.
That somewhat suprises me since early pictures showed that it seemed to hang low behind the rear bumber taking away somewhat from its departure angle.

Now, with that being said, any issues for the rear shock mounts that seem to hang real low?

Not trying to rip apart the JK (I know we are not allowed to do that) Just wondering what few things are a disappointment ala the CV shafts.

98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #32
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatchickens
That somewhat suprises me since early pictures showed that it seemed to hang low behind the rear bumber taking away somewhat from its departure angle.

Now, with that being said, any issues for the rear shock mounts that seem to hang real low?

Not trying to rip apart the JK (I know we are not allowed to do that) Just wondering what few things are a disappointment ala the CV shafts.
I noticed the same thing about the muffler, and the shock mounts. Though the shock mounts seems to be well tucked out against the wheels so I'm sure it's not an issue.
I was wondering too, if you put a lift on the JK, say 2 - 3 inches, would it be possible without too much work to raise the lower shock mounts? This would serve 2 purposes: it would allow you to keep the stock shocks after the lift and it would move them out of the way a bit.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #33
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo
I would rather be banned in an effort to restore free speech to the board...I dont want to be on a communist forum.
There is no problem with free speach here, its just a matter the appropriate place to voice your opinion. This is a technical forum. Nobody is bashing your right to bash the JK, just do it in the appropriate place.

It's ok with me that you don't like my Jeep, but you are having a problem coping with the fact that some people like them. You might need some help with this.

My opinion is that you are a troll, and just screaming for attention. So I agree with you, you should be banned.
SCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #34
Rommel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor
Complaint: The plastic bumpers are stupid and weak.
Reality: So are the TJ’s. How many TJs are still hitting the trails or even the streets with the factory bumpers? Swap ’em out.

This is wrong. The TJ has bumper end caps that are plastic, not the whole bumper.
You are wrong. The JK has a steel bumper with plastic overlays covering it.

Whaaaa!

-Romm
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #35
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel
You are wrong. The JK has a steel bumper with plastic overlays covering it.

Whaaaa!

-Romm
That comment (about plastic bumpers) was from JP magazine. The reply was from a forum user indicating that the TJ bumper is metal and not plastic. Both are correct. You are correct as well. There is steel under the plastic of JK bumpers.

Waaaaa! back at cha
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #36
iismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76
my point is if the TJ is obviously so great and the JK is obviously so horrible, wouldn't buyers be flocking to purchase the TJ while it's still available.
For the same reason they have not been flocking to purchase Hummers, Denalis, Escalades, etc.

I don't think the JK is so horrible - obviously it is very capable and I actually think the V6 will be made to work well by the aftermarket. As I stated above, I think the fuctionality of plastic fenders is great. For me the aesthetics are bad enough I would not purchase.
iismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #37
gjeepguy

Quote:
Complaint: The plastic bumpers are stupid and weak.
Reality: So are the TJ’s. How many TJs are still hitting the trails or even the streets with the factory bumpers? Swap ’em out.

This is wrong. The TJ has bumper end caps that are plastic, not the whole bumper.
Reality: The TJ's bumpers are stupid and week. Take off the plastic end caps(already done) and they still are.

Quote:
Complaint: The mid-ship–mounted fuel tank won’t allow a long-arm lift kit.
Reality: You won’t need an aftermarket long-arm lift kit. The JK comes with up to 32-inch tires from the factory (Sahara and Rubicon models). Fitting 35s should only require 2–3 inches of lift. This will keep the suspension geometry in check without the complexity or expense of a long-arm lift kit.

Uh what? I guess all the hard core guys who only have their Jeep as a wheeler are now screwed. What if you want, or need, to go bigger? Stupid excuse.
Reality: If you want/need a long arm kit, add a fuel cell to your jeep, lose the 18+ gallon tank and replace it with a much safer one (that wont be in the way) or build a custom one.

Quote:
Complaint: I’m stupid. My TJ is still better.
Reality: The ’07 Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited feature reduced prices throughout the lineup by an average of $1,200 while adding an average of $1,800 in content when compared to the outgoing ’06 models. You get more of a better Jeep for less money. If you prefer the appearance of your ’06-and-earlier Wrangler that’s one thing, but better a TJ is not.

Considering it is in its first year of production, I am not going to swap out my TJ just yet. I want others to tell me from personal experience if the JK is worth it or not. Not sold just yet.
Reality: I dont like new things, but i drive a tj, but it is old...kinda.
gjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #38
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like #8, put very commonly used buttons (like lockers) on the sterring wheel
I always use my lockers more then I use the cruise...
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #39
Laxstar46

personally i luv the tj's and i also love the jk's. I think that some people don't realize is that many people said the exact same thing about their tj's in 97. This is the exact same thing that went on back then and look at how succesful the TJ was. The JK will be just as good if not better than the TJ. There should not be a problem with these new JK's with anything aftermarket wise. "where there's a will, There's a way".
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #40
BrianLSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxstar46
personally i luv the tj's and i also love the jk's. I think that some people don't realize is that many people said the exact same thing about their tj's in 97. This is the exact same thing that went on back then and look at how succesful the TJ was. The JK will be just as good if not better than the TJ. There should not be a problem with these new JK's with anything aftermarket wise. "where there's a will, There's a way".
Exactly, I do like the new JK's. All the upgrades deal with a majority of the complains I have with my TJ. Stereo, Satellite guidance, bluetooth, power options, a new segmental hard top, remote disconnects.

I think people are worried that the options they wish were available or upgrades that should have been resolved won't be for years or only after another new body style comes out. Probably just a little constructive venting.
BrianLSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #41
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjeepguy
Reality: The TJ's bumpers are stupid and week. Take off the plastic end caps(already done) and they still are.

Reality: If you want/need a long arm kit, add a fuel cell to your jeep, lose the 18+ gallon tank and replace it with a much safer one (that wont be in the way) or build a custom one.

Reality: I dont like new things, but i drive a tj, but it is old...kinda.
Absolutely not true. I have driven the JK, and I like it. Just not yet enough for me to be sold on getting one. I wheel my TJ about once a month, and I am not hardcore enough to justify what I said before, I was just making an observation.

I love my TJ. I think there are great things about the JK, and there are bad things about it too. I am not here to bash on the JK. Not at all.

Oh and JeepinYahoo is insane.
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #42
azcoyote

What I find funny is this... If there was a truly inspired engine in the JK, I bet 90% of the naysayers would change their tunes overnight. There are tons of great changes on the JK. Stronger axles, elect-discos, slightly wider.

I bought my 06 LJ knowing that I was getting the last of a great breed.
I look at the JK and I think I could drive the SWB version and like it.
The LWB is gonna take me some time to accept...

If they offer a Diesel in 08-09 I am in trouble. The TJ will be history. Period.
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #43
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo
Just ban me, I read the stickies....I just do not want to be on a communist, free-speech abolilishing bull**** board. You people who like the JK so much are sensitive about it...like Hitler you do not even want to hear any negative things about what you like...if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Looks like BrianLSU thinks you are getting you panties in a bundle over this...we should call you mrsensitive instead of mrblaine.
If you think we are sensitive, you should see how sensitive/defensive TJ owners get in the GD area when people bash the TJ! And that's in GD, not in the TJ tech forum.
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #44
okie362

I've read this entire thread and find it quite humorous (Reminds me of high school if I can remember that far back).

My .02 is this....If you're making/made the payments for it and you are happy with it If you aren't, time to either mod or trade it. They all die eventually anyway.

Personally, I like my TJ but could be just as happy with a JK and probably will be some day.
okie362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #45
tplochar

I think most TJ owners, myself included, were so hopeful for a new Wrangler that when the JK finally came out and it wasn't perfect, we all felt sort of let down. Sure the JK is probably better than the TJ on and off the road. The technological changes over 10 years have been reflected in the JK, I think most of us appreciate the lockers, navigation, etc. The "flaws" on paper, perceived or real, is what most TJ owners are disappointed about. I thought DC could have done better than they did, but this is not to say that they effed up on the JK and that its worse than the TJ. Just thought I could clear that up for the JK lovers around here. Don't take our criticisms of the JK as bashing, its more of pointing out things we thought DC could have done better.

I can't wait to wheel one.
33x10.50 BFG A/T on 15x8 Blacked Out Cragars
A to Z Fabrication Rockers
K & N Intake
tplochar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.