New JKU Owner - Questions...Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New JKU Owner - Questions...Questions

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
avinator

New JKU Owner - Questions...Questions

Hey All,

Hope everyone is doing well!

Just got an 11 JKU Sport, manual. Bought it used, its got a lot of miles on it but I think I got a good deal. Had it inspected at a local Dodge/Jeep dealership and it checked out well. Its never been offroad. 4.10 gears. It's lifted and running on 315/70-17's (will have a pic up soon).

The forum has been a great help, would have made some really bad decisions without it (hopefully the high mileage wasn't a bad decision).

Should I be able to tell what kind of lift it has by checking out the shocks or is there something else to look for? Is there a way to tell what type of lift it has (suspension, body or both) and possibly how high its lifted?

Anyway, I'm liking the JKU, kids love it, wife...eh, not so much. Can't wait to get it off road and have some real fun

Take it easy.

Last edited by avinator; 11-03-2013 at 09:09 PM..
avinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

"It's never been offroad".......now how in the hell does a dealer know that?

Post pics of the lift, someone may have the same thing.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
avinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
"It's never been offroad".......now how in the hell does a dealer know that?

Post pics of the lift, someone may have the same thing.
Hey Jeffro,

I'll get some pics of the lift up tomorrow.

Dealer checked it out from top to bottom. There was no damage, scrapes, scratches, etc. underneath. There wasn't any mud, dirt or any signs of being offroad either. I looked under it and it looked cleaner than my Mercedes

I'm sure it was off-road, guess nothing that left any scars.
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I see you added a pic....looks pretty nice.

Never is a big word, probably is a much better suited in your Jeeps case. If it's really clean odds are it hasn't been offroad, and if it was it wasn't mud bogging or dragging it's *** over rocks.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 11-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
duntov
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Never "Off-Road", just on established trails.
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic, Chili Pepper Red, 4.0, 4WD, 3" OME Full Leaf, JKS QD, JL Sub, Sony CD w/Ipod adapter, Polk Audio Speakers, Uniden CB Radio. JCR Front Prerunner bumper, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Reese hitch, Yakima Rack, Mopar spare tire rack.

2013 Jeep Unlimited, Gecko. Bone Stock.
duntov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ah detonator yellow. By far the best color that Jeep ever had, but I may be a little biased. Plus you got the last year it was out!

Like Jeffro said, post pictures of the lift or look at the shocks/springs for obvious markings/tags that may reveal the company that made the lift. How many miles did your JKU have if you don't mind me asking? Mine has 105,xxx and still runs like the day I bought it. Don't let the 3.8L horror stories get to you.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Gotta agree, you picked the best color !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
avinator

Thanks guys! I like the color and I have never owned a yellow vehicle so I'm happy.

I'm going to try to see if I can figure out something about the lift today.

It has 80k on the clock but checked out well.

Hopefully I will have many years of fun with it!
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinator View Post
Thanks guys! I like the color and I have never owned a yellow vehicle so I'm happy.
Not a JK owner, buy I am a Yellow owner.

I was never a fan of yellow, but it's grown on me.

Unread 11-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Beautiful! Last yellow car I had was a 2003 Neon. Wasn't nearly as nice as your Jeep.
Those wheels are gorgeous...what are they?
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Great color! Correction, make that "the BEST color" However, I may be a little biased.

Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 715racing View Post

Beautiful! Last yellow car I had was a 2003 Neon. Wasn't nearly as nice as your Jeep.
Those wheels are gorgeous...what are they?
wheels are mickey thompson side biters if i'm not mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Great color! Correction, make that "the BEST color" However, I may be a little biased.

happy trails, what front bumper is that? just curious from the side the approach angles look amazing
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD bumper (stubby), with recessed winch mount and bull bar. Pretty good price, and does has everything I wanted. Yeah, the approach angle is fantastic!
Needed it to be a stubby because those 37's would rub against a full width bumper, and it helps with rock climbing.
I also wanted the recessed winch mount to allow more air flow through the grill. Have a RIPP Supercharger with the intercooler in front of the radiator.

EDIT: Here is a front view w/o bull bar installed:

Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
avinator

Thanks for the posts all! You all have some nice rides and it looks like us Yellows stick together

I looked up the wheels and they are Mickey Thompson Side Biters.

Take it easy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.