New to the JK world, minor concern with some holes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New to the JK world, minor concern with some holes

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

New to the JK world, minor concern with some holes

I bought my 2011 Wrangler Sport Unlimited last week. I knew at the time that I bought it, it had 2 small holes drilled on the (sides) rear of the body near the rear lights. There are 2 holes drilled on both the drivers side and passenger side. The dealership told me that they were holes drilled for the optional roof rack which was removed. Once I took ownership of the JK I decided to plug the holes. I bought some plastic rivet plugs from Lowes and some outdoor silicone. I put a small bead of silicone around the inside of each plug/rivet then put them in the holes and put a small bead around the exterior of the plugs. One thing I forgot to do was repaint the holes that were drilled with some primer or touch up paint?

My question is to prevent rust in the future is what I have done already good enough or should I remove them and do something more?

here is the best picture I have of it so far. You can see the 2 small black plugs on the rear next to the gas cap and light.

img_20130518_144223_188_zps019ba193.jpg  
ironbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
AveCat
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think you'll be fine with the silicon but paint always helps.
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Well for the cost of $4 for new plugs I may just pull the ones I put on off and then redo it with some paint
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah that would be the best thing to do if not just for peace of mind.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Yeah that would be the best thing to do if not just for peace of mind.
I am on it as my coffee brews this morning

Unread 05-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

all done. Removed the plugs then sanded the inside of the holes a little and painted them with primer then once the primer dried I put some silicone on the plugs and reinstalled them again. All done
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Congrats, your first mod. Everything else after that will come easier as you go.
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Oh the gears are already turning, with things I want to do to this Jeep. I had an 87 wrangler a few years back and sold it. Now I am finally back into what I love and want to slowly add things. Just ordered grab handles and am looking for something else to order since I am home with a pulled neck muscle and the order bug is hitting me
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I hear ya. It is very tempting to buy stuff when you’re bored (“I am home with a pulled neck muscle”). Just thinking of all the cool stuff you can get for the JKs can be overwhelming at times, trust me, I know.
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I hear ya. It is very tempting to buy stuff when you’re bored (“I am home with a pulled neck muscle”). Just thinking of all the cool stuff you can get for the JKs can be overwhelming at times, trust me, I know.
I want to do somethings right away. I did buy some new stuff a few days ago from Autoanything but now I am looking more in the direction of external additions
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
SteveBad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Congrats on the Jeep. The area you are talking about is pretty much open at the bottom, anyway. There's only a loose plastic flap between the back corners and the wheelwell. What you've already done with the plugs is fine.
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBad View Post
Congrats on the Jeep. The area you are talking about is pretty much open at the bottom, anyway. There's only a loose plastic flap between the back corners and the wheelwell. What you've already done with the plugs is fine.
Well I already feel better about re sealing them this morning. Peace of mind is nice I guess.

Thanks
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Those holes are in a pretty good spot to mount dual CB antennas. :-) Just a thought.
MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88 View Post
Those holes are in a pretty good spot to mount dual CB antennas. :-) Just a thought.
never thought about that, however the dealership di said it was from a roof rack
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbike

never thought about that, however the dealership di said it was from a roof rack
Can I ask why you didn't get the roof rack?

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.