New JK owner needs help removing doors. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New JK owner needs help removing doors.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
WKUJK

New JK owner needs help removing doors.

Hey guys first of all thanks for all the info I have read so far. I am going to take the doors off but my jeep 07 two door, didn't come with a manual. I just need to know is all I need to do to take the doors off unscrew them at the hinges then disconnect the wiring harness? Will a door chime continue to go off with the doors off? Thanks, sorry for the noobie question, I couldn't find an answer when I searched.

WKUJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
jeepcrazy93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I the doors off of a 09 Jk about a month ago and it was pretty simple. Do yourself a favor and buy a good set of torx bits b/c you will probably need them down the road. You shouldnt have the door chime problem or at least the jeep I worked on didnt. Just unscrew the torx nut and disconnect the wiring harness. It took me a second to figure out how the wire harness disconnects but it was simple once you figure that out.
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
torpex77
2008 JK Wrangler 

Unscrew the torx bolt at the bottom of the hinges.

ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW. (not necessary, but makes them easier to handle)

Disconnect the wiring harness and unhook the retaining strap from the door.

Open and lift. I think they come off easier if I lift while I rotate them open.
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
jeep0867
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes....just lower your windows, unscrew the the hinge torx bolt using a T50, unclip the wire harness from each door and lift off and store. Once you disconnect the wire harness there will be no chimes. Now go out and enjoy!
jeep0867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
WKUJK

Thanks for the speedy help.
WKUJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
HMUSN
1991 YJ Wrangler 

exactly like the guys above said. just undo the torx bolts and the harness and they will come right off.

The YJ's are much harder to take off.

Directions:

Pull up.

seriously though.. the torx screws are a good idea.. less doors get stolen that way.
HMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Also-- if you haven't already done it-- be sure to hold your door from swinging, once the strap is off. Otherwise you get a pretty little dent in your hood. I got lucky and read about this before I took my doors off.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
WaldenL
2009 JK Wrangler 

I will add that you slide the red clip to release the wiring harness; once done press the lever and the slide right apart. Oh, and don't plug them back in with the car alarm set. I did that the first time, confused the hell out of the computer. Had the pull a fuse to kill the alarm.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
braincloud
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
I will add that you slide the red clip to release the wiring harness; once done press the lever and the slide right apart. Oh, and don't plug them back in with the car alarm set. I did that the first time, confused the hell out of the computer. Had the pull a fuse to kill the alarm.
Just put the key in the ignition and turn it on - that will stop the alarm. (Scared the crap out of myself the first time I reconnected the doors with the alarm armed)
braincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
WaldenL
2009 JK Wrangler 

You would think so, wouldn't you. Didn't for me. That was the first thing I did. Maybe I undid the door first, I don't recall. Believe me I tried a bunch of things.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincloud View Post
Just put the key in the ignition and turn it on - that will stop the alarm. (Scared the crap out of myself the first time I reconnected the doors with the alarm armed)
You have an alarm? Mine just came with a sticker that said it had one
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #13
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.

lmao ok I am adding that to my signature

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I found that being on the outside reaching through the window and holding the door handle on the inside is the easiest way to pull them off. Also, mine do not come off unless they are angled roughly 45 degress from the jeep.
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
Nuts
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha thats great. I'm dying here at work and people are looking at me like I'm crazy. O well not my fault that they don't get good humor.
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.