New JK / MPG & Lift Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New JK / MPG & Lift Question

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
aermotor
2007 JK Wrangler 

New JK / MPG & Lift Question

Hey everyone! Picked up a used 2007 JK Sahara Unlimited last week and boy do I love it! It's got (I believe) a Rough Country 6" X-Series lift. I just put new 35" BFG KM2s on her as well. Few questions if I may from you experienced JK guys/gals!

MPG / Performance
I've been reading a lot of posts about the Superchips Flashpaq etc. on improving performance and mpg. Below is what my JK is running with and without OD.

OD OFF
70mph @ 2850rpm in 4th gear

OD ON
70mph @ 2000rpm in 3rd gear (downshifts constantly)

I've read A LOT of people have problems with the tranny shifting up and down all the time when hitting the slightest of inclines with OD ON and I'm having the same issue. So I tried turning OD OFF and you can see what my RPMs are above. It's more more stable and I don't get the constant up and down shifting, but I need to know am I running too high rpm to be getting decent milage, or is that a god range? Do you know what gearing I might have? I'm thinking it's 4.10 but feel it might not be stock.

I don't think I'm getting the correct odometer/mpg readings either because of the 35" tires, I don't think the original owner get it re-calibrated but I can't tell....

Rough Country Lift
I think I have the 4" or 6" X-Series lift but really am not sure and there's no information from the dealer on any of the aftermarket stuff. Can anyone tell by the pics if it's the X-Series or regular? This lift is pretty gigantic so I'm wondering if I can adjust it if it's the X.

Front

Rear

Front

Front

Rear

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help! Just trying to figure out more about what I have hear. I love this beast. Just need to get it tuned to run better.

aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Not sure what type of lift it is by looking at it, but size wise I am going to guess 4" just by where the tires are sitting in the fenderwells.

Not sure about the gears, but you could contact Chrysler for a build sheet and see what was installed. Another way to tell especially if they are aftermarket gears is by doing what is detailed in this thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...7/#post9832965

The answers to some of your other questions might be here.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...reads-1074059/
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
aermotor
2007 JK Wrangler 

I looked through most of that and didn't find many answers to my specifics of 3rd gear vs. 4th gear. Not sure if running 2900 in 4th instead of 2000 in 3rd is better for milage.
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I noticed that it appears the vent tube to your rear differential/axle is hanging down in the last picture you posted...needs to be relocated higher up with the original clip. (It is that rubber tube with the white plastic tip in it).
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
aermotor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ahh yes thank you! I saw that too and wondered what it was, dealer (Chevy) had no clue, bah! It looks like it's snapped off so I'll take a look. It's under Aut Nation warranty and I found some other stuff wrong with it, so if I can't just plug it back in I'll have them fix that.
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Superchips will definitely help to some extent in that it will move the trans shift points to where they should be for your tire size, while also correcting your speedometer and odometer, resulting in your dash calculated fuel economy being more accurate.

However, for you to get back to close to stock performance levels with that lift and tires, 5.13 gears are required.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you're not sure about the speedo being accurate, might try comparing it with a portable GPS. If you need to correct it, the AEV Procal and Superchips will do the job.
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

These guys have it pretty well tagged for your problems and I've looked at this several times--just noticed that--

The brake lines appear to be streched, at "REST", whick means that your first real "Flex"could be areal problem and

The rear brake lines, besides being streched to far, are rubbing against the swaybar and thats DISASTER, along with the strech !!

checkitout !!

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.