New Jeep Owner looking for help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New Jeep Owner looking for help

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
bschinz10
2011 JK Wrangler 

New Jeep Owner looking for help

I just bought a brand new 2011 JK and I'm looking for some help and ideas. This is my first jeep and I'm very excited about it. I want to do a lot with it, but my first order of business is to get a soft top for it. Any ideas on what brand and color would go well with a natural green pearlcoat?

I'm also looking at adding a lift kit and new tires. I'm not going to be doing any rock crawling, just some offroading in dirt and maybe some mud. Any suggestions.

I'm still trying to figure out the forums since there is a ton of info, so I apologize for any redundancies.

Thanks!!

bschinz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

What type of Wrangler do you have? X/Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon?
Two door or four door?

How much are you planning on spending on a top?

Since you are in Az, would you be willing to go with a Bikini or Safari top instead of a full soft top?

I think all factory soft tops are black. From what I've read, they are Bestop Soft tops. I can't remember if Bestop has a brown top for the JK yet. Black of course goes with everything and if you have a Black interior I would stick with black.

Now since you are in Az, and I don't think it rains much in Az, you may want to consider using a Bikini or Safari top. The Bikini is a half top while the Safari runs all the way to the rear of the sports cage. There are no windows, so basically you are getting out of the sun, and ready for a chance shower.

If you want/need a fully enclosed top, you could try Craig's list or Ebay for an UNUSED soft top. Alot of dealers sold the dual top package and some people just needed the hard top, so you can find a complete OEM soft top for pennies on the dollar of what you would pay at the Dealer.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you're looking for a bikini style stop, there's also Spider Web Shade. I bought their trail mesh for the Unlimited and it made a huge difference while wheeling in 109 degree temps this past weekend. It still lets some sun and wind through the top but blocks out some of the UV. As mentioned, you can keep an eye out for someone selling a used top on CL or your local forums. Just make sure you get all of the hardware with it.

For your lift options, if you just want the height to fit the bigger tires, you can stick with a budget boost like the one from Teraflex. 2.5" is all you need for 35s and will require the least amount of changes to your JK (go too tall and things like driveshafts have to be addressed). The two popular tires are BF Goodrich KM2 and Goodyear MTR/Kevlar. They're a little on the pricier side of the spectrum but they're great tires for nearly any terrain and aren't too loud on the highway. If you want something a little cheaper, there are Cooper Discoverer STT and Goodyear Duratrac.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
bigworm36
2011 JK Wrangler 

Here is the mopar bikini top. Works really well and doesn't flap at all on the sides
forumrunner_20110531_123638.jpg  

Current- 2011 Rubicon Unlimited
bigworm36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

What size tires are you looking for and how much of a lift? Congrads in the jeep
Unread 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
bschinz10
2011 JK Wrangler 

It's a 2 door sport. I'd like to keep my top under $600, but that was before I actually started looking at a soft top. I was looking for more of a full top rather than a bikini. I know it doesn't rain much in AZ, but I live in Flagstaff and it's ~7,000ft so it gets a bit chilly in the mornings and we have what people around here call a 'monsoon season' where I guess it rains out of no where. I was looking at something that would be easy to fold up and put together in a few minutes.

As far as the lifts and tires go. I was looking at different sizes. I was looking for opinions on tires from 30 to 35s, just because I don't know much on the pros and cons of each. I guess if I throw on something smaller than 35s, I wouldn't need a lift?

Those of you with safari tops...does it protect well from the rain on a 2 door? How does the interior handle getting wet?
bschinz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

The smaller the tires, the more fuel efficient they'll be just because you have less rolling resistence and rotational mass. The Sport comes with 29" tires and they look small for the JK. 32's are the standard size for Sahara and Rubicon and they look proportional on a stock height. If you want something a little bigger, 33s work well and won't require a lift though you need to do research for the proper backspacing of the wheel. I believe 33s will rub on stock wheels due to backspacing. 35's can be ran on a stock height JK but you have to make some other modifications (flat fenders or trim your stock fenders) and you run the chance of rubbing the front bumper when you're at full lock or if you hit a good size bump. It's recommended to put a 2.5" lift for 35s. My personal rule of thumb is 33 or 35 for two doors and 35 or 37 for four doors are the best proportional looking. You don't want to lift a two door too much because once you go past 3", you start to run into issues with other things like driveshaft angle.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soft top , suspension , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.