New jeep owner but not new to sinking seat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New jeep owner but not new to sinking seat

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesThe Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 03-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
jmdwifi
2015 JK Wrangler 

New jeep owner but not new to sinking seat

I pump the the seat 2 one 3 times and it sinks back down in an hour or two. Is this normal. The FJ is famous for sinking seat syndrome but it was every few days, not hours. The seats are way more comfortable than the FJ seats. I'm not bashing but wanted to know if this was accepted as normal. Toyota's fix was to replace a part on the seat until you were out of warranty. They never changed the design.

Unread 03-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Is it possible you are hitting the lever when getting in or out of the Jeep? Happens to a lot of guys not realizing it.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

I raised my seat in southern Utah once (can't remember why) and it didn't sink back down in the 2-3 days I left it like that.

I prefer my seat all the way down though, so that's the only time I can remember raising it up.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine is almost 7 years old and the seat never changes it's position-

Nothing normal about your problem-other than what 14sport says-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
jmdwifi
2015 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys,
I don't think I'm hitting it but will pay close attention. Like I said, the FJ did this too and I did pay attention not to hit it. The lever on the jeep is huge, so I may be bumping it. I don't pump it up much so it's not a huge deal. Thanks again
Unread 03-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I’ve never had any problems with my seat slowly sinking either. It’s been pumped up from day one and it never moves. I also had a ’08 JK and the seat was the same as this one.

Depending how heavy you are (depressing the outside seat cushion) and where you position your left leg it could be possible that as you drive your leg might be inadvertently pushing on the lever every now and then.
Unread 03-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

I haven't checked lately - not really in the habit, but apparently some of ya'll ARE (to each his own - I am totally non-judgemental) but I am pretty sure my seat doesn't stink...
Unread 03-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
jmdwifi
2015 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to pump it up tomorrow and take the handle for a couple days. That will take it out of the equation for now. It's a six speed so I don't rest my leg to the left but I do wonder if the cushion is pushing the handle. I'm 210 lbs for now.
Unread 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdwifi View Post
I'm going to pump it up tomorrow and take the handle for a couple days. That will take it out of the equation for now. It's a six speed so I don't rest my leg to the left but I do wonder if the cushion is pushing the handle. I'm 210 lbs for now.
Good plan. Sliding off the seat when you get out is most likely the problem. Our Jeeps are high and well, that's the easiest way to get out....lol Looking forward to your findings. Keep us updated.

Unread 03-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
jmdwifi
2015 JK Wrangler 

Well thank you for pointing out the handle. That's it I think. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make a handle as big as the seat, should be slapped. I think my butt is hitting the handle.
Unread 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Glad you got it sorted.

Unread 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Diesel7

And then again...we had the same syndrome.
Dealer looked at it on our '13 but they couldn't replicate the syndrome. My wife kept mentioning that it was happening.

I finally went in and had a conversation with the mechanic and he said he would need to replace the entire seat frame. Would take a couple of weeks to come in which was true to form.

They installed the new frame and now the situation is not as bad as before, but we're still getting a bit of downward movement.

My take to the tech was that this is a safety issue because if the thing lets go catastrophically, it would come as a surprise, affecting control of the vehicle.
Diesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #13
jmdwifi
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel7 View Post
And then again...we had the same syndrome.

Dealer looked at it on our '13 but they couldn't replicate the syndrome. My wife kept mentioning that it was happening.

I finally went in and had a conversation with the mechanic and he said he would need to replace the entire seat frame. Would take a couple of weeks to come in which was true to form.

They installed the new frame and now the situation is not as bad as before, but we're still getting a bit of downward movement.

My take to the tech was that this is a safety issue because if the thing lets go catastrophically, it would come as a surprise, affecting control of the vehicle.

Oh, mine isn't dropping like that. It just goes down by the end of the day or a few hour. They were really stupid making that handle so frigging huge. I'm going to figure out a way to make it smaller. I'm sure my rear is hitting it when I get in and out.
Unread 03-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
Papawhiskey
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sinking seat

Mine does it when I slide out of the jeep. Necessary due to high ground clearance. Hope to someday figure out how to lock it in the fully up position.
Papawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #15
jmdwifi
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawhiskey View Post
Mine does it when I slide out of the jeep. Necessary due to high ground clearance. Hope to someday figure out how to lock it in the fully up position.

Pump it up and remove the handle. Worked for me. I just have to figure out a way to make it look good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.