New Jeep owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New Jeep owner

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
zjilahi
2014 JK Wrangler 

New Jeep owner

Hi,
Bought a new 14' Sahara this weekend. Most likely will add some stuff to it next summer. In the mean time I noticed that after about 60 MPH the car starts to sway. Should I get an ungraded sway bar or what? It will be on the highway alot and the swaying gets annoying.

Will post pics soon!

zjilahi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
jmaske1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilahi View Post
Hi,
Bought a new 14' Sahara this weekend. Most likely will add some stuff to it next summer. In the mean time I noticed that after about 60 MPH the car starts to sway. Should I get an ungraded sway bar or what? It will be on the highway alot and the swaying gets annoying.

Will post pics soon!
same here, however my newbie is the wrangler sport 2 DR. above all else, to all the seasoned jeepers out yonder, if i (as well as others) are planning to off road but in the casual sense, what is the best and FIRST modification i should make? (plz keep lifts, tires, wheels and suspension exempt from your answers.) myself, personally am interested in engine performance but anything is appreciated outside the items mentioned for exemption. thanks guys! i want my baby to puuuuuur.
jmaske1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Ur driving a box........with a 3.6L. Im confused by these questions
Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I get my '99 wrangler up to 85 with no sweat. What's ur problem?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
zjilahi
2014 JK Wrangler 

j
zjilahi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

i would check for loose components with the swaying, weird with a brand new one though. was it windy when driving? windy drives will always be terrible....
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
ncb

Please explain what you mean by swaying. Driving in a straight line it sways? Or swerving in and out of lanes at 60 mph?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I know the wind makes mine wander some, but the tires (KM), moderate lift, linkage, etc have a huge affect, too.

It's a Jeep, not a Cadillac. My daily driver! I bought it for fun, not comfort

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I think we just need some more info to diag his problem

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilahi View Post
Hi,

Will post pics soon!
It's not a car it's a 4 wheel drive solid front and rear axle vehicle. The on road handling dynamics are unlike that of a independent front suspension car or truck for that matter. Granted it shouldn't be swaying all over the road driving in a civilized manner but don't expect quick lane changes to not bring upon uncar like handling.

If it is constant bring it back to the dealer and express your issues and concerns.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaske1980 View Post
same here, however my newbie is the wrangler sport 2 DR. above all else, to all the seasoned jeepers out yonder, if i (as well as others) are planning to off road but in the casual sense, what is the best and FIRST modification i should make? (plz keep lifts, tires, wheels and suspension exempt from your answers.) myself, personally am interested in engine performance but anything is appreciated outside the items mentioned for exemption. thanks guys! i want my baby to puuuuuur.
Really, performance mods on a JK?? Other than forced induction, there is nothing you can bolt on to the 3.6L to make it “purr”. You bought a Jeep, get over it.

As for the OP, your JEEP isn’t a vehicle with independent suspension or a sports car. It shouldn’t wander all over the place but depending on what you drove before the Jeep, it may be a shell shock for you. Since it has the aerodynamics of a barn, wind will push it even vehicles driving the opposite lane may have a small effect on it. You just have to adjust accordingly. As far as I know there aren’t upgraded sway bars for the JK, since again it isn’t a sports car so there isn’t a market for race track handling. Most of us who wheel their ***** disconnect the sway bars anyway or install Currie Antirock sway bars which are for offroad not performance handling. Honestly, you just need to get used to the way a JEEP drives.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Wrangler98
2012 JK Wrangler 

The way these things are designed just sort of makes them a bit sketchy at high speeds and even worse if there is wind. You may just need to get some more seat time. The first month we had our wrangler, I was a bit scared to not have both hands on the steering wheel at all times. Now I am whipping it all over the place with two fingers and no lack of confidence.
1967 Ford Mustang-351W/4spd
Wrangler98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.