JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   New Jeep owner (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/new-jeep-owner-1740490/)

zjilahi 10-30-2013 04:03 PM

New Jeep owner

Hi,
Bought a new 14' Sahara this weekend. Most likely will add some stuff to it next summer. In the mean time I noticed that after about 60 MPH the car starts to sway. Should I get an ungraded sway bar or what? It will be on the highway alot and the swaying gets annoying.

Will post pics soon!

jmaske1980 10-30-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zjilahi (Post 17298458)
Hi,
Bought a new 14' Sahara this weekend. Most likely will add some stuff to it next summer. In the mean time I noticed that after about 60 MPH the car starts to sway. Should I get an ungraded sway bar or what? It will be on the highway alot and the swaying gets annoying.

Will post pics soon!

same here, however my newbie is the wrangler sport 2 DR. above all else, to all the seasoned jeepers out yonder, if i (as well as others) are planning to off road but in the casual sense, what is the best and FIRST modification i should make? (plz keep lifts, tires, wheels and suspension exempt from your answers.) myself, personally am interested in engine performance but anything is appreciated outside the items mentioned for exemption. thanks guys! i want my baby to puuuuuur.

zjilla 10-30-2013 04:36 PM

Ur driving a box........with a 3.6L. Im confused by these questions
Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

MountainMan864 10-30-2013 04:41 PM

I get my '99 wrangler up to 85 with no sweat. What's ur problem?

zjilahi 11-02-2013 01:21 PM

j

awinski 11-02-2013 01:39 PM

i would check for loose components with the swaying, weird with a brand new one though. was it windy when driving? windy drives will always be terrible....

ncb 11-02-2013 02:10 PM

Please explain what you mean by swaying. Driving in a straight line it sways? Or swerving in and out of lanes at 60 mph?

wilywillie 11-03-2013 06:04 AM

I know the wind makes mine wander some, but the tires (KM), moderate lift, linkage, etc have a huge affect, too.

It's a Jeep, not a Cadillac. My daily driver! I bought it for fun, not comfort:D

zjilla 11-06-2013 03:14 AM

I think we just need some more info to diag his problem

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

TheBoss 11-06-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zjilahi (Post 17298458)
Hi,

Will post pics soon!

It's not a car it's a 4 wheel drive solid front and rear axle vehicle. The on road handling dynamics are unlike that of a independent front suspension car or truck for that matter. Granted it shouldn't be swaying all over the road driving in a civilized manner but don't expect quick lane changes to not bring upon uncar like handling.

If it is constant bring it back to the dealer and express your issues and concerns.

ROCKR8R 11-06-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaske1980 (Post 17298714)
same here, however my newbie is the wrangler sport 2 DR. above all else, to all the seasoned jeepers out yonder, if i (as well as others) are planning to off road but in the casual sense, what is the best and FIRST modification i should make? (plz keep lifts, tires, wheels and suspension exempt from your answers.) myself, personally am interested in engine performance but anything is appreciated outside the items mentioned for exemption. thanks guys! i want my baby to puuuuuur.

Really, performance mods on a JK?? Other than forced induction, there is nothing you can bolt on to the 3.6L to make it “purr”. You bought a Jeep, get over it.

As for the OP, your JEEP isn’t a vehicle with independent suspension or a sports car. It shouldn’t wander all over the place but depending on what you drove before the Jeep, it may be a shell shock for you. Since it has the aerodynamics of a barn, wind will push it even vehicles driving the opposite lane may have a small effect on it. You just have to adjust accordingly. As far as I know there aren’t upgraded sway bars for the JK, since again it isn’t a sports car so there isn’t a market for race track handling. Most of us who wheel their ***** disconnect the sway bars anyway or install Currie Antirock sway bars which are for offroad not performance handling. Honestly, you just need to get used to the way a JEEP drives.

-Dan

Wrangler98 11-06-2013 03:11 PM

The way these things are designed just sort of makes them a bit sketchy at high speeds and even worse if there is wind. You may just need to get some more seat time. The first month we had our wrangler, I was a bit scared to not have both hands on the steering wheel at all times. Now I am whipping it all over the place with two fingers and no lack of confidence.

The time now is 08:52 AM.