new Jeep imminent, cant decide, willys wheeler or rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > new Jeep imminent, cant decide, willys wheeler or rubicon

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #1
bigcountrySA

new Jeep imminent, cant decide, willys wheeler or rubicon

I am a future jeep Wrangler unlimited owner, hopefully thursday.
I have found a Rubicon and Willys wheeler, that are my top two picks.
I think I would prefer the Rubicon overall, but the Willys has an automatic transmission and i think looks better with those black wheels.

So i guess my question is (i have looked at a few of those "should i buy a rubicon" threads) Should I buy a Willys Wheeler over a rubicon?

Willys is automatic, manual windows and locks,very basic and hard top.

Rubicon is manual, hard top and comes with all the little perks that a rubicon.
Thanks for your opinions, i just wanted a little confirmation from people that already own wrangler unlimiteds.

bigcountrySA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you are buying it for looks, then get the one that looks the best to you. Sounds like you dig the Willys.

If you are buying it for wheeling, get the one that meets your wheeling needs the most. What kind of off roading will you do? Need lockers, the rubi has them along with a lower transfer case ration.

Kind of a big difference between the manual and auto as well. Which one do you really want. Is this going to be your daily driver? Do you have traffic? In my opinion, I can't think of anything worse than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in a manual.

What is the price difference between the two?
Unread 01-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Get the Rubi, put Willys decals on later.
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
01Mastiff
2014 JK Wrangler 

Get a Sport and put Rubi decals on later.
01Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
bigcountrySA

Great thoughts, traffic isn't terrible in my usual commutes, this will be a daily driver for the most part. While I dig the look of the willys, the rubicon has similar look just no black wheels. I will dig the amenities of the rubicon, more than the basic features of the willys.
Also, the only mods I think I might ever do is a modest lift, winch and some lights. While the willys would probably meet all my needs, I like the idea of having some of the rubicon off road features, the electronic sway bar disconnect and the lower gear ratio.

My only concern with the manual transmission is with off roading and rock crawling type situations. Not sure how I would like that.
Unread 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Mastiff View Post
Get a Sport and put Rubi decals on later.
Unread 01-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrySA View Post
Great thoughts, traffic isn't terrible in my usual commutes, this will be a daily driver for the most part. While I dig the look of the willys, the rubicon has similar look just no black wheels. I will dig the amenities of the rubicon, more than the basic features of the willys.
Also, the only mods I think I might ever do is a modest lift, winch and some lights. While the willys would probably meet all my needs, I like the idea of having some of the rubicon off road features, the electronic sway bar disconnect and the lower gear ratio.

My only concern with the manual transmission is with off roading and rock crawling type situations. Not sure how I would like that.
4 wheeling with a manual trans is no biggie, as long as you have some experience driving a manual for some time. I guess it is "easier" with an Auto, but what fun is that? (Actually, very). The only reason I got an auto is because I wanted my wife to be able to drive it without trashing it in the event it ever becomes a backup vehicle.
Unread 01-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1
The only reason I got an auto is because I wanted my wife to be able to drive it without trashing it in the event it ever becomes a backup vehicle.
Amen to you my man!!! That's my excuse too!!!
79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

What are your plans?

If your planning on rebuilding everything, you can swap in a built D44 with locker and all and make it a better wheeler than the Rubicon. Only you can decide that though. Why pay for something you are just going to take off.

If it is going to see light trail duty with little upgrades, I say go for the Rubicon.

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
bigcountrySA

It will be used as a regular driver, I will take it hunting, and drive on some trails in the area.
The only mods I plan on are a modest lift, maybe bigger tires, winch, probably some sort or step rail, and lights.
I think the rubicon will satisfy all my needs. Even the willys will satisfy most of them but for about 3 k more I can get a rubicon.
Unread 01-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Humm... tough call then. You can use that $3K and knock out a lot of your upgrades!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:38 PM   #12
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

In the grand scheme of things, $3G isn't a lot more. Judging from what it sounds like you want in the Jeep, I'd go with the Rubicon, not because it's a Rubicon but just because it seems like it has what you want.

To echo Krawl, if you were wanting to invest a lot of money building up the Jeep I would very much recommend avoiding the Rubicon, but it sounds like you are planning on using it as your DD and some mild offroading to get where you need togo.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.