New guy lift questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New guy lift questions

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

New guy lift questions

First I'll say that the comprehensive lift kit thread should be stickied; I didn't find it in any of my searches, only through someone's signature. It was a big help, and I plan on sliding under my jeep this week and looking at it again.

I was planning for a while in just getting a BB, but I like the idea of more articulation, even though I don't plan on doing an enormous amount of wheeling. My question is; is there a recommended lift that won't mess up my on-road handling? And also, would someone just be able to buy a set of springs and shocks (seperately, possibly secondhand) and call it a day?

Unread 06-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeitsleazy View Post
First I'll say that the comprehensive lift kit thread should be stickied; I didn't find it in any of my searches, only through someone's signature. It was a big help, and I plan on sliding under my jeep this week and looking at it again.

I was planning for a while in just getting a BB, but I like the idea of more articulation, even though I don't plan on doing an enormous amount of wheeling. My question is; is there a recommended lift that won't mess up my on-road handling? And also, would someone just be able to buy a set of springs and shocks (seperately, possibly secondhand) and call it a day?
Welcome to the forum/club. The Lift Kit thread used to be stickied, but I got really sick a few months back and my forum membership expired...which madea a mess of the thread (pictures and such), so it got unstickied.

The more you lift the Jeep, the further out of whack it takes the alignment....anything over a true 3" and you need to add control arms and track bars to keep everything properly, then you have to replace things like sway bar links, brake lines, and even driveshafts (if you keep it under 3.5" you can probably get by with an exhaust spacer for the front and sliding the evap canister over in the rear).....which can get expensive in a hurry.

Everything depends on your needs, and future plans. You could simply keep your current springs and shocks and add some coil spacers. This is the simplest and cheapest solution, it also keeps the factory ride. Depending on what your current springs are you could look for some stiffer takeoffs from another JK (JKUs with the tow package typically have the stiffest springs, and each increase in spring # adds about 1/4 to 1/3" lift to a 2DR). You can add up to 2" of lift using the stock springs and shocks. The next step up is a BB (Budget Boost), a lot of people looking for a cheap lift love the Teraflex offering in 2.5". The Rancho offering is also very popular. For simple springs and shocks, OME makes a really nice kit...I've used it and was very happy with the on/off road handling. You can also mix and match springs and shocks, although you need to do a little research there to match the right size springs with the right travel shocks. From there, you are getting into the full kits (shocks, springs, bumpstops, track bars/brackets, etc)....but the prices jump quite a bit depending on how extravagant you get.

Also, keep in mind that you can buy a BB now to give you a little lift (more room for articulation), and sell that when you are ready to graduate to something a little more beefy.....a lot of people follow this upgrade path.

Again, welcome to the forum....do lots of reading, ask lots of questions....there is a wealth of friendly and knowledgeable people here.
LVCapo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper5016 View Post
Welcome to the forum/club. The Lift Kit thread used to be stickied, but I got really sick a few months back and my forum membership expired...which madea a mess of the thread (pictures and such), so it got unstickied.

The more you lift the Jeep, the further out of whack it takes the alignment....anything over a true 3" and you need to add control arms and track bars to keep everything within spec....which can get expensive in a hurry.

Everything depends on your needs, and future plans. You could simply keep your current springs and shocks and add some coil spacers. This is the simplest and cheapest solution, it also keeps the factory ride. Depending on what your current springs are you could look for some stiffer takeoffs from another JK (JKUs with the tow package typically have the stiffest springs, and each increase in spring # adds about 1/4 to 1/3" lift to a 2DR). You can add up to 2" of lift using the stock springs and shocks. The next step up is a BB (Budget Boost), a lot of people looking for a cheap lift love the Teraflex offering in 2.5". The Rancho offering is also very popular. For simple springs and shocks, OME makes a really nice kit...I've used it and been very happy with the on/off road handling. You can also mix and match springs and shocks, although you need to do a little research there to match the right size springs with the right travel shocks.

Again, welcome to the forum....do lots of reading, ask lots of questions....there is a wealth of friendly and knowledgeable people here.
Best simple, helpful, honest post to a haggard question.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the friendly response!

Reading around the forum got me about that far- which is why I was planning on a BB. But after coming across that thread, a coil lift did seem like something that would work better for me. I plan on getting 285/12.5/16s and keeping it that way (which doesnt even necessarily require a lift. A small lift would be just fine, which is cheaper by definition, but the coil lifts added benefit of a softer ride/more articulation is what sold me. As long as having that increased articulation didnt screw with my on-road handling too much. That was my first concern. My second was more of a cost saving solution, and that was addressed. I will be sure to look into specs when shopping around, and make sure that my shocks and springs are compatible.

To address your suggestion about buying springs from a JKU- Having stiffer springs would only make my wheel travel more restricted, am I right? Which is the opposite of what Im going for. Personally, I think my ride is a bit stiff to begin with (although theyre not even broken in yet). I could very well be wrong here, but thats why im doing most of my thinking on the keyboard.
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Reading around the forum got me about that far- which is why I was planning on a BB. But after coming across that thread, a coil lift did seem like something that would work better for me. I plan on getting 285/12.5/16s and keeping it that way (which doesnt even necessarily require a lift.
Nope, you really wouldn't even need a lift....but if you want more wheel travel (articulation), then you will want a little more clearance as to not damage your fenders. Are you planning on aftermarket wheels or using stock? Backspacing might be an issue.
Quote:
small lift would be just fine, which is cheaper by definition, but the coil lifts added benefit of a softer ride/more articulation is what sold me.
It totally depends on you and the brand/components you choose. OME shocks are fantastic, Bilsteins are a little stiffer...a good compromise might be the adjustable Rancho 9000s, which everyone is raving about. Ride quality is a personal preference...some people like that floaty feeling, others prefer a little stiffness.
Quote:
As long as having that increased articulation didnt screw with my on-road handling too much.
Whats going to limit your articulation/travel will be a number of things.....bumpstops, shock travel, sway bar links, etc. You can increase the wheel travel a bit by simply disconnecting the front sway bar ends. If you do this, make sure you find some uneven ground where you and a buddy can check actual travel....you want to check the front driveshaft under droop to make sure it doesnt rub on the exhaust crossover, that you have enough bumpstop to keep the tires from contacting the fender/wheel well, as well as making sure you arent going to unseat a front coil spring...which would suck.
Quote:
My second was more of a cost saving solution, and that was addressed. I will be sure to look into specs when shopping around, and make sure that my shocks and springs are compatible.
Check out the Teraflex BB and the Rancho Sport lift.....both are moderately priced and a good compromise for what you want.

Quote:
To address your suggestion about buying springs from a JKU- Having stiffer springs would only make my wheel travel more restricted, am I right?
No, not really...the stiffer springs are going to give you a little more clearance in the wheel well. I tested a number of springs awhile back for an article and the stiffer JKU takeoffs didnt feel any different on road, and didnt limit wheel travel off road.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Okay, stiffer springs dont equal less travel. Got it. I was looking into some teraflex kits, although I guess my confusion was what people were calling a spacer lift and a BB. Seems like 2 different things now. And what I thought was a coil lift just consisted of coils and shocks. But that never sat right with me from the start; just replacing the shocks and coils seemed too simple.

Thanks again for your responses, I guess I was overthinking things (or taking them too literally). Cheers!
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeitsleazy View Post
Okay, stiffer springs dont equal less travel. Got it. I was looking into some teraflex kits, although I guess my confusion was what people were calling a spacer lift and a BB. Seems like 2 different things now.
The spacer lift is the simplest you can do....its just two/four poly pucks that go on top of the coils....some companies offer steel......Daystar has probably the cheapest/simplest...and it works fine. RK makes a nice setup that includes front adjustable/quick disconnect sway bar links.

Daystar
Rock Krawler

As for the BB: Teraflex offers a couple different BB configurations.....one has their branded shocks and coil spoacers, one has shock adapters and springs.

Teraflex
Rancho--- A lot of people are raving about this budget lift.

Quote:
And what I thought was a coil lift just consisted of coils and shocks. But that never sat right with me from the start; just replacing the shocks and coils seemed too simple.
Usually, if you keep it under 3" you'll be fine (3" actual, not advertised....most lifts offer more than their advertised lift). The OME 2" lifts are simply coil springs and shocks. I had that on my 2007 Rubi. I added JKS adjustable track bars to it.....really nice ride.
Quote:
Thanks again for your responses, I guess I was overthinking things (or taking them too literally). Cheers!
Don't be silly, you can never "overthink" this stuff....it gets expensive, and you want to make the best decision possible.....its great discussion, and it just doesnt help you, it helps others that come across this thread.....I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts and opinions...get as many as possible before making your decision.....another idea is meeting a club/other jeepers in your area and seeing what they run....learn from what works and what doesnt from seeing it first hand.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeitsleazy
Okay, stiffer springs dont equal less travel. Got it. I was looking into some teraflex kits, although I guess my confusion was what people were calling a spacer lift and a BB. Seems like 2 different things now. And what I thought was a coil lift just consisted of coils and shocks. But that never sat right with me from the start; just replacing the shocks and coils seemed too simple.

Replacing your factory coils with lift coils usually will give a stiffer ride then stock as they are designed with the idea that heavier equipment such as bumpers and the like will also be added. Dual rate regular duty springs and adjustable shocks (Rancho9000) will get you the best ride. The most cost effective bang for the buck is A complete BB like the TeraFlex that will retain your factory ride, adding good shocks to that will make it better.
In the end to upgrade all you do is remove the spacers and factory springs and replace with good 2.5" lift springs. The rest of the parts are already there.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

The Rancho9000 is what is attracting me most right now. Im in no rush to upgrade anything besides the ugly stock bumper; im stationed in England for at least a year and a half, and theres not much in the way of trails out here. I have plenty of time to save any cash I need.

JTP, what you say makes tons of sense. Blanks are being filled in for me with each response I read.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper5016 View Post
The spacer lift is the simplest you can do....its just two/four poly pucks that go on top of the coils....some companies offer steel......Daystar has probably the cheapest/simplest...and it works fine. RK makes a nice setup that includes front adjustable/quick disconnect sway bar links.

Daystar
Rock Krawler

As for the BB: Teraflex offers a couple different BB configurations.....one has their branded shocks and coil spoacers, one has shock adapters and springs.

Teraflex
Rancho--- A lot of people are raving about this budget lift.

Usually, if you keep it under 3" you'll be fine (3" actual, not advertised....most lifts offer more than their advertised lift). The OME 2" lifts are simply coil springs and shocks. I had that on my 2007 Rubi. I added JKS adjustable track bars to it.....really nice ride.
Don't be silly, you can never "overthink" this stuff....it gets expensive, and you want to make the best decision possible.....its great discussion, and it just doesnt help you, it helps others that come across this thread.....I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts and opinions...get as many as possible before making your decision.....another idea is meeting a club/other jeepers in your area and seeing what they run....learn from what works and what doesnt from seeing it first hand.
Thank you Sir. I see the small leveling lift I am doing to my 500 mile old JK.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I put in a 2" Rubicon Express (I know, not that reputable but it's just rubber pucks and shock extensions!!) leveling kit a couple weeks after I got mine. It lifts 2.5" in the front and 1.75" in the rear. Not a bad way to go right off the bat, gives it a bit more aggressive stance and helps with your angles a bit as well.

As far as flex goes, I do plan on a full lift kit eventually, but stock flex is actually quite impressive especially if you won't be wheeling too heavy right away. A kit like the Rock Krawler would be nice to get the sway bar disco's if you don't have a Rubi. Here's mine after the install on stock 32's for reference of the stance. Tires look a little small, but not terribly so either. Easily enough room for 33's though!

AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.