Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New guy here, looking at a '08 jkur

660 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JIMBOX 
#1 ·
So i've got my eyes on a 2008 unlimited rubicon. 50000 miles, very clean carfax. Currently has tires on it that lead me to believe the guy used it for commuting! the horror! Looking for any pros or cons to this model year. 50000 with an auto tranny, what are the service intervals? time for a complete fluid change or am I going to risk blowing something up? What about life of the timing chain/belt? what does it even have?

This will be my first jeep, i'm sure the list of mods will be extensive by the end of things. But initially looking to add the bullydog programmer, hella headlight/wiring harness conversion. budget boost lift with flat fenders to fit 33's on her. stubby bumper with winch and HID's.....as I said, im sure the list will go on.

Just wanted to say Hi on the Forum, i'm from Long Island new york, out on the east end! You guys have a lot of info on here!

#2 ·
Don't trust Carfax to cover EVERY little detail. Have a mechanic go over it. $$ well spent.

I have an '08 with the auto. The first thing you'll want to do is regear it! Since you are only going to 33's, a regear wouldn't make much sense, $$-wise. Go to 35's and you'll want 5.13's, go to 37's and you'll want 5.38's.

The manual calls for a fluid/filter change on the tranny at 60,000 miles, but I just changed mine at 40,000. The auto needs an auxiliary transmission cooler ($80 at Autozone), because the stock one is so small. At least make sure a dealer has reflashed the computer to give the HOT OIL message if the tranny gets too hot. There was a service bulletin about this over a year ago.

Not sure about the timing belt/chain.
I'd go ahead and do a complete fluid change. Small investment for a sure peace-of-mind.

You won't need a lift to fit 33's on it. 35's will fit w/flat fenders and no lift. The JK's have very large wheel wells. I have 37's on mine with flat fenders and a 2.5" lift. I had to trim the rock rails and rear pinch seam about 3", though.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your jeep purchase. I have 48,000 miles on my 2008 JKU and the only mechanical issue I have had was a temp sensor. I agree with HappyTrails, dont trust Carfax beyond what it is meant to do.

#4 ·
thanks for the tips so far! I never trust a car fax, but this one has a stellar one. purchased as a lease in 2008 from the same dealer that currently owns it. They took it in in 2010 and certified it "pre-owned" thru jeep. They have maintained and serviced the truck every single time and handled both purchases. it has 4.10's in it so 33's shouldn't kill me on gas. Not going to be doing much crawling or hardcore wheeling with it. Most likely will be a beach cruiser most of it's offroad life...so leaving it a stock height was in my plans.(plans change)!!

#5 ·
:cool: The previous info was AOK, but

If the jeep has 33" tires onit right now, 4.10s aren't going to make you happy, the 4.10 gears/auto don't even work with 32" tires--

I'm not suggesting you have to regear, just telling you that with 33" tires/auto your mileage will avg 13 to 15mpg and the tranny will spend all your driving time "downshifting" when in O/D-

I've been there-done that !

Good luck

:tea: JIMBO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.