New, first jk: help with lift system etc. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New, first jk: help with lift system etc.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
bbonz

New, first jk: help with lift system etc.

Today i just finalized on my 2010 Rubicon. I had saved up some extra money over the summer trying to buy a motorcycle but now all i want to do is get this car 2-3" higher. Which lift system to you think fits best for an amateur like my self. I was looking at the forceflex 2.5 inch with shocks but cant decide if those are right. Please please please help me, this is my first car and i want it to look amazing.

Car is white 2dr with a hard top (finding a soft top as we speak). I also want to put 33's with probably 16" rims. But which tires should i invest in, this car is going to be driven on road for the most part but on weekends i am going to take my dirt bikes and my new baby and have some fun. So i need it to accommodate both life styles. The rims: im looking for black hummer like rims if anyone know what i am talking about. Rims used on the h1 not the 28" rims 50 cent has.

Thanks,
B

bbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Domovoi
2010 JK Wrangler 

well, you can fit 33s with a 16" wheel without the lift, and good on and off road tires are BFG A/T. If I were you I'd stopp calling it a car though lol, you'll get made fun of for that. I can't speak about the lift though as I am relatively new to Jeeps myself and do not have a lift. From what I have read RE and AEV lifts are great.
[COLOR="DimGray"]USN Jeep Club Hull #96[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"][B]Blue Jeep Club #373[/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=SunDevilJeeper;11097300]im running two old school KC daylighters and some baja lights, all pointed in one spot. the KCs are positioned to be exactly at the side mirrors of a vehicle 20 feet ahead and the baja lights are positioned up a little so they hit the rear view mirror perfectly with the brights.

it looks like god himself is flashing you...[/QUOTE]
Domovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Ravik
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just budget boost it if all you want to do is clear bigger tires... If you're not going off road to get to work or scaling boulders, the stock suspension is better out of the box than anything else you'll find on a showroom floor and really doesn't need to be messed with.

I'm a big fan of the Aberle aluminum BB kit (Aberle Off Road Home) just because, well, they're metal and not plastic like a lot of the others.

If you really *must* spend more money, I hear the OME 2.5 spring kit is pretty good... Though a few folks have reported incidents of deathwobble after re-springing with any kit - probably brought on through a combination of geometry change and not tightening something up quite right.

As for rims and tires - be sure you research the tire width versus rim backspacing to make sure you clear the tire width at full lock/stuff and the rims clear the calipers... Getting the Jeep over the tires is easy, putting the tires under the jeep - not so easy.
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

wat 50 cent haz

sorry no disrespect, but your gonna get ripped fo dat and I hadda be the first......

yea I'm realy just a wise guy from jersey so ignore me.....I'm sure you'll get some good advice here

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
2004 TJ Wrangler 

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that I have your attention, take your jeep wheeling a couple of times before you buy anything. you have an extremly capable jeep right off the lot so find a club or find some people to go to an off road park or go to a jeep jamboree.

This hobby is one that grows on you fast. when I first bought my jeep I planned on wheeling 3-4 times a year. Since I bought my jeep I havent missed a month and have gone 2 times a month on occasion.

the point is find out how involved you want to get into this hobby before doing anything, you may deceide you like it and want to go 3-4 times a year or you may decided you LOVE it and want to do it at least once a month. If you fall into the 2nd catergory, just go with 34s or 35s and skip the 33s. you will just end up hating your tires and buying bigger ones and wasting money. ur jeep can be a fine DD with 35s. You can get ur jeep on 35s for less than 400 bucks with RC 3.25 kit or u can spend more money and get a better ride for your money. With your stock gearing you can run 35s without a problem.
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
bbonz

What bumper should i get, nothing to heavy duty just something with the lights just like the stock front bumper. Stock bumpers suck though, my brother walked into the bumper by mistake (Retarded i know) and place a dimple in the plastic, piece of ****.
bbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbonz View Post
What bumper should i get, nothing to heavy duty just something with the lights just like the stock front bumper. Stock bumpers suck though, my brother walked into the bumper by mistake (Retarded i know) and place a dimple in the plastic, piece of ****.
I highly recomend the one I have. It is the rugged ridge modular bumper with pre-runner guard. It is a great system, check my build page for details. The link is in my signature.
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
TheMiser3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that I have your attention, take your jeep wheeling a couple of times before you buy anything. you have an extremly capable jeep right off the lot so find a club or find some people to go to an off road park or go to a jeep jamboree.
I completely agree with this. I am in a spot where I have a 2008 4dr Rubi that is completely stock. I started asking similar questions to what you're asking and got similar answers. Well, since then, I took my Rubi wheeling and got a better idea of what I'll need should I desire to continue. (Which is an obvious yes)

I can't stress enough what looking around at the forums here will teach you. As you're planning your first off road trip, read the through the lifted 2 doors and get an idea of where you want to head visually. Read through the build forums to see where other's have gone and what they used and what problems they ran into. You're going to run into issues with anything that you do, some more than others. But adding a suspension lift is something that I rarely hear goes perfectly first time through.

Most of all, get your stock rubicon on the trails and get some off road action in. If all you want to do is moderate trails and mud holes then you don't NEED to do anything to your jeep. It will more than handle what you put it through. If you end up deciding that you want to run some rougher trails / rock climbs, then you very well might need some additions to your jeep.

Be warned, however, that 1 or 2 mods is never enough. Once you start, they'll always be something that you'll want to do, or simply do differently.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

(Also, I agree, stop calling it a car... its a jeep and nothing else... not a truck, and certainly not an suv.)
Traded the 2008 Unlimited JK Rubicon for a 2010 of the same flavor, but Deep Water Blue -Still stock... for now... ;) Grab Handles, and the Daystar dash have been added and welding practice has commenced.
TheMiser3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner , lift , tires , wheels

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.