New diesel as early as 2008!!!!??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New diesel as early as 2008!!!!???

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

chip and a big intercooler and that 3.0 diesel should easily see 250+bhp. You can get the Land Rover 2.5 TD5 unit upto 200bhp pretty easy.

Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #17
Laxstar46

plus diesel aftermarket companies like Gale Banks engineering would be all over a diesel wrangler. Imagine the upgrades gale banks could make.
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The '07 WK is getting a 3.0 diesel, and after the success of the CRD Liberty for '05 and '06, I expect the redesigned '08 Liberty to have it again. Hopefully that is. My wife's KJ will get sold for a diesel Jeep to tow my TJ around.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #19
BrianLSU

The 3.0 is a great engine for the wrangler. I just donít know much about the diesels besides choking at the back of fishing boats, I know, not a good comparison. They do spew more smoke than a gas burner though. Just the nature of the engine.

Don't get me wrong, I would love either. I just perceive a less smelly ride with the gas burner when the top or windows are off. I could be wrong though.
BrianLSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #20
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLSU
The 3.0 is a great engine for the wrangler. I just donít know much about the diesels besides choking at the back of fishing boats, I know, not a good comparison. They do spew more smoke than a gas burner though. Just the nature of the engine.

Don't get me wrong, I would love either. I just perceive a less smelly ride with the gas burner when the top or windows are off. I could be wrong though.

Actually... Modern turbo diesels are quiet and clean. Now that we finally get the low-sulfur diesel fuel here in the US the smoke will go away as well (the high sulfur content of our old fuel would clog up catalytic converters and particulate traps that otherwise works great for cleaning up diesel exhaust.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #21
nierace
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
If the CRD does make it into the JK I would exect to see nice fuel gains particularly on the highway. I know it has brick like aero working against it but I could see 25-27 at highway speeds. But city would only be 1 maybe 2 MPG better. Again all speculation if it even happened.

Usually with diesels, you get close to the same highway mileage, however do significantly better locally.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #22
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
Usually with diesels, you get close to the same highway mileage, however do significantly better locally.
Actually, it depends entirely on your driving style, load, gearing, etc.
A diesel engine, requires much less fuel when under partial throttle, essentially this is where all the fuel economy benefits are.
Under WOT you get virtually no fuel economy benefits over a similar gasoline engine.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #23
jpaddict

I can't speak for all diesels, although I own one. It is a modified Cummins in a 3/4 ton Dodge. On a dyno, it is over 400 rwhp, and 850 ft lbs of torque. I get 21 mpg on the hwy with the cruise set at 70. I don't think any gas motor could come even close to those power levels, or fuel burn. The Dodge 8.0 V-10 would get about 12 mpg on the hwy, and still not have enough power.

Diesel engines are a perfect choice for Jeep.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
jpaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #24
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
The 3.0 is going in the WK I don't see what won't fit about the JK. Who cares give me the 2.8 CRD and I'll chip it!
Well, for one, they're completely different vehicles. That's like saying, "You can fit 37's on a JK with a 4" lift and no trimming, I don't see what won't fit about the WK". I've also been told, by someone who works for DCX, that the 3.0L and its transmission won't fit in the JK. And the 3.0L won't bolt up to the existing trannies used in the JK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daciuk55
Would any of these diesels be avaliable with a manual tranny?
Doubtful. In the US, the 2.8L KJ was only offered with an auto, and the XJ and WK don't have a stick offered at all. IF (and this is a big 'if') DCX found a way to offer a CRD JK here in the States, I think it would only be available with an auto.

Quote:
That doesn't sound like any diesel vehicle I've ever been around... in fact that's just the opposite. Diesels generally get better mileage on the highway and worse mileage in town, vs their gasser counterparts.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #25
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
That doesn't sound like any diesel vehicle I've ever been around... in fact that's just the opposite. Diesels generally get better mileage on the highway and worse mileage in town, vs their gasser counterparts.
Agreed. The only vehicles I've seen give the edge to city driving are hybrids.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.