New brakes making noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New brakes making noise

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 08-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

New brakes making noise

I just installed new pads and rotors today. I took it for a test drive and a little into the drive I heard a grinding noise. And then in my driveway I stopped quick and heard a clunk. Maybe the caliper moved forward? I know I tightened everything up. Do I need a brake in period?

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Bump anyone?

I am taking my fronts off right now and re setting the pads again. Thinking I might not have reset the caliper all the way. And making sure all bolts are tight. Then I'll check the back. I am rotating the tire by hand too to make sure no noise is present

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Unread 08-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you clean and lubricate the pad slides? (Remove the metal click in shims and clean under them as well, they can build up dirt/dust an corrosion and cause brake drag

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magatetzz
Did you clean and lubricate the pad slides? (Remove the metal click in shims and clean under them as well, they can build up dirt/dust an corrosion and cause brake drag
I cleaned under them but didn't lube them. They seemed fine. So it's the brake pads not sliding back to away from the rotor? Will this fix itself?

Unread 08-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The brake pads will wear quicker if they can't be fully released. I recommend cleaning both sides of the anti rattle clips (what the pads sit on) and lubricating the slides, that way when pressure from the caliper is released the pads won't stay applied.

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magatetzz View Post
The brake pads will wear quicker if they can't be fully released. I recommend cleaning both sides of the anti rattle clips (what the pads sit on) and lubricating the slides, that way when pressure from the caliper is released the pads won't stay applied.
I actually figured it out the other day. Forgot to post back. Basically I had to just adjust my parking brake because that was what was rubbing not the pads.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.