New 2011 jeep wrangler rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New 2011 jeep wrangler rubicon

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
APEX320
2011 JK Wrangler 

New 2011 jeep wrangler rubicon

Hi there, I just purchased my first Jeep and I am looking for recommendations for a Lift Kit. So far I'm leaning towards the 6.5" BDS kit. I have the 10" in my 2009 Ford F350 and it has been flawless. I will also be adding front/rear bumpers, driveshafts (only if needed), tires wheels, spare tire relocation kit, HID's, Rock sliders, winch and a rigid light bar. Is there anything else I should think of doing? Any help would be much appreciated. I was thinking smittybuilt for bumpers/sliders??

Thanks in advance.

APEX320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

to the forum and congrats on your new Jeep.

A 6.5 lift is way overkill for a JK. A good size lift would be between a 3.5 and 4.5 depending on tire size. You should fill out your profile so we can see what you have, for instance is it a 2dr 4dr?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Congrats on the purchase.

^^^^ Ya, as 1222 put it, the JK only *needs* about half that amount of lift, depending on your tire size. However, I see that you're in AB - so I'm sure that your first impulse might be to go out and get the "biggest and greatest" in order to keep up with the Ford F350 10" lifts... but generally the rule of thumb for JKs is around (minimum) 2.5" to 3.0" for 35" tires, and 4.0" lifts for 37's. You can get away with less lift by getting aftermarket fender flares. However, that teensie-tiny amount of lift might not be up to snuff driving around Grand Prarie, though.

Keep in mind that anything over 3" on a JK WILL require new driveshafts (3" - eventually, 4"+ immediately), full flexarms, trackbars, extended brake lines, swaybar disconnects, etc. Also, most 6" lifts are typically long-arm kits that (*may*) require hacking off the control arm mounts and welding on new ones, depending on which one you choose. Also, most dealers won't honor the warranty on a JK with any lift over 2.5" or so - but that depends on the dealer you dealt with.

To top it off, most HID kits on the market aren't DOT legal, and your low-beams propped up by the massive lift will look like searchlights to everyone driving down the highway... except to those who are driving F350's with 10" lifts... lol. Hilldweller has a very informative thread recommending several legal, better than stock aftermarket headlight solutions.

I'd recommend TeraFlex for the lift kit (they make a 6" Elite lift), because that is what I am familiar with, however I'm sure that others will chime in and recommend other quality names.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
APEX320
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys. I will be running 35" rubber. Wanted to run 37"s but will be lacking to much power after. So for running 35's the teraflex kit will be a good one to go with or should I stick with the BDS kit? I have the 4 door JK Unlimited Rubicon full load, leather, elec sway bar disconnect, full lockers etc. I will be checking out the recommended thread tonight also.

Thanks again for your input.
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
APEX320
2011 JK Wrangler 

I am also looking at an intake, tuner and exhaust. Any recommendations?
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Forget the intake as it will do nothing but sound awful and steal your money. As for tuners/programmers there are a few good ones to chose from. I have the ProCal but only because it came with my suspension lift. I was originally going to get the Superchips Flashpaq which is extremely popular.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

You're better off putting $$$ into a re-gear rather than a CAI and tuner if you're going with 35's-37's.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.