New '15 Wranger - "X" Have a question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > New '15 Wranger - "X" Have a question...

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
15X

New '15 Wranger - "X" Have a question...

I have a question that might have been answered here a million times, but I need help. It's those rear seat headrests, that are blocking my views. Also, I cannot lower the rear seats flat because those rear seat headrests hit the front seats. So, how do I remove the dang headrests from the rear seat? I've tried; there is no button to pull them out and they won't lift out. I'm a single hot guy and no one will be in those back seats so I want to lower them permanently. Thx.

15X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
guls
2015 JK Wrangler 

My rear seat headrests fold automatically up when I lower them.
guls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
JayKay12
Texan

2012 JK Wrangler 

If it's like the previous years press these in and pull up on the headrest at the same time.

Bilstein 5100s
35 Cooper STTs
JayKay12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
tarditi
2015 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure the rear headrests remove, but they do fold back... make sure the seat release lever is pulled firmly as you fold the seat down... as said, they should "automagically" fold back at that point.
tarditi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
I'm not sure the rear headrests remove, but they do fold back... make sure the seat release lever is pulled firmly as you fold the seat down... as said, they should "automagically" fold back at that point.
On an unlimited yes, not on the 2 door real Wrangler . As one poster above stated just push in on the button and pull up, they will come out!

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
joeydominick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Had issues till I put a 37 on back, no I can't see anything
joeydominick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
15X

Thanks for the responses. Mine is a 2dr. I've tried and searched all around the base of those headrests, and there is no button to push in that lifts out the headrests. And when I fold down the seat, the headreasts do no collapse. I am getting ready to take a hack saw to them......
15X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Don't do it. Unless you have a one of a kind Jeep there is a sliding button on the base (attached to the seat) that when pushed in will allow you to remove the headrest. It does take a little for effort to remove it after it gets up to it max height. Both buttons are located on the left post base as you look at them from the rear gate.
Unread 05-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
CoryB
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15X View Post
<snip> I'm a single hot guy and no one will be in those back seats so I want to lower them permanently. Thx.
Good to see you're modest too.

The headrests are removable in the 2-door but they're tight and the buttons (for lack of a better term) are pretty much flush so they're really difficult to find. I struggled with mine for several minutes each but got them out eventually.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Mark27
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did you ever consider just removing the rear seat?
Once you figure out that no actual human can access it, it quickly loses its appeal.
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Highway 4x4

The 2 door is a 2 seater. No real full size human can use the back seat and remain sane.
Unread 05-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
Reskar
2015 JK Wrangler 

I also vote remove the rear seat entirly. Reclaim all that wasted space if no one will ever use them.
Reskar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #13
bartruff1
2014 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem...but if you move the front seats forward as much as possible, the headrests can clear the front seats and you can fold the rear seat down and out of the way without removing or cutting anything

At least on my 2014..
bartruff1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
PatyWagon
2015 JK Wrangler 

Being only 5'2" the removal of the headrests was a must when I had both of my JKs. We would remove them and keep under back deck in case we had a passenger in the back and had to put them back on. Alto getting in is difficult I have ridden in that back seat from ks to fl before.

Sent from my DD 2015 FDII PATRIOT using JeepForum
PatyWagon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

There is indeed a little button at the bottom of the headrest post just like the picture JayKay12 posted. Though tossing a 35" on there pretty much eliminates your view anyways. I got a license plate mount for the spare and put in a back up camera.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.