"never be accepted as a Jeep" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > "never be accepted as a Jeep"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Closed Thread
Unread 09-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #61
tplochar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Alright then, how about me, can I play? I've wheeled the stock JK on Cadillac Hill a few times, (several actually) and there's not a single thing a stock 06 Rubi can do that the Stock 07 JK can't do better, smoother, easier, or with more grace on the trail.

I was fortunate enough to drive them back to back for A/B comparisons in a short time span so the impressions both made were easy to compare.

To be equivalent, you will need to outfit the 06 with a fly by wire throttle, larger tires, remote swaybar disconnect, different seats with height adjustability and a med length arm suspension as well as some additional lift. That would just be to get even and that still makes it a modded TJ.
The poster that I quoted tried to say a stock JK could out wheel a modded TJ. Not only do I find this to be extremely unlikely but I think one vehicle could not dominate the other in all aspects. I'm not bashing the JK, just saying that I'm reserving my opinion on it until I drive it or at least see it perform on a trail. Until then a modded TJ would be my choice over a stock JK. I already know what a stock and modded TJ can do, if a stock JK could out-wheel a modded TJ I'm sure DC won't have to worry one bit about selling these babies as they will move themselves.

33x10.50 BFG A/T on 15x8 Blacked Out Cragars
A to Z Fabrication Rockers
K & N Intake
tplochar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #62
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplochar
The poster that I quoted tried to say a stock JK could out wheel a modded TJ. Not only do I find this to be extremely unlikely but I think one vehicle could not dominate the other in all aspects. I'm not bashing the JK, just saying that I'm reserving my opinion on it until I drive it or at least see it perform on a trail. Until then a modded TJ would be my choice over a stock JK. I already know what a stock and modded TJ can do, if a stock JK could out-wheel a modded TJ I'm sure DC won't have to worry one bit about selling these babies as they will move themselves.
I guess it all depends on the definition of "modded" and what trim we are comparing. Let's not talk about a build up monster.

For a mild "mod" - ~3" lift, 31"-33" tires etc., the kind of stuff you have, judging from purely theoretical evaluation, stock JK should outwheel it.
It already has this tires/geometry and better articulation.
For any TJ with open diffs - brake actuated limited slip on even the most basic JK will be quite a boon (judging from performance of similar systems on other vehicles, and from first reviews of it on the JK. And this system is easier to control then lockers in many situations - easier to steer - not a subsitute for lockers, but JK got those too.
Better fording.
And modded TJ will be almost as wide (due to extra backspacing to fit wider tires - it adds about 5", right?).
Electronic disconnect on Rubicon - better then manual, as you can hook it back up on off-camber stuff.

Of course this is a theoretical penis measuring contest, and JK and TJ owners will just meet on the trail and break both..
Karamba is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #63
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
And modded TJ will be almost as wide (due to extra backspacing to fit wider tires - it adds about 5", right?).

Maybe if you were running full width axles...on my YJ with 3.75" backspacing (which is the most common BS to run a SWB Jeep), the wheel and tire sticks out less than 2" from the flare.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #64
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
Maybe if you were running full width axles...on my YJ with 3.75" backspacing (which is the most common BS to run a SWB Jeep), the wheel and tire sticks out less than 2" from the flare.
On both sides, right?

There was a computation somewhere on this forum, that a typical setup to run 32"x10.5" makes TJ exactly as wide as a stock JK... It looked accurate - though I guess one would need to double check on a real setup..
Karamba is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #65
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
On both sides, right?

No, only on the one side, since I bought the other 2 wheels with stock backspacing

I see your point, but on a 15x8" wheel, running 3.75 BS running a 32x11.50, you're still about 1.5" narrower than a JK. Not to mention that the sidewalls will have some give to them which will help compensate a bit for the added width.

1.5" isn't much of a difference, but once you get different BS wheels on a JK, there will obviously be a bigger difference in widths.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #66
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave
I'm pretty sure a JK will outwheel most modded TJ's, too.
I will take this bet!

You get a 2wd JK and I will get a TJ Rubicon model and lets see who out wheels the other!

PS Shoot me if you like but I actually like the TJ much better. (my opinion which you cannot change) The JK is okay but I think Jeep is straying a bit from the small nimble 4wd to some kind of Hummer wannabe. Power windows?
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #67
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

You know what I think, I think that there are now 2 different kinds of Jeep owners; those who are off-road enthusiasts, and those who just like the way the Wrangler looks driving down the coast with the top down and doors off. There is obviously a market for the JK epsecially the Unlimited. The fact is, the JK has been designed and built and is now hitting the dealers. I personally prefer the TJ, but I would imagine that the day will come when it is time to buy a new Jeep, the JK. If JK owners end up being like other Jeeps owners (CJ, YJ, TJ), then the Jeep will be moded or "built" to the owners preference anyways. No 2 Jeeps are alike. I suppose that all of this b**ching will most likely get the aftermarket guys to work though. I have seen there are in fact already aftermarket mods out there for the JK. Maybe someone will make an aftermarket grill for those who prefer metal to plastic. I personally do not care one way or the other as for the material the grill is made out of. The only thing I use my grill for is to get air to the radiator. The 1 complaint I do have about the grill is that it does look an awful lot like the Liberty. Would have been nice to make it slightly different in style.
wrnglrguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #68
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Power windows are OPTIONAL people.. OPTIONAL, do you grasp that concept.
Personally I think that for the people who use their jeep as a daily driver the power windows is a God-sent.
LEDFoot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #69
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Till it goes out in a rain/snow storm. I know several people that's happened too.

I agree it's just an option, but then again abortion is an option too, doesn't make it right.
buddastrat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #70
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddastrat
Till it goes out in a rain/snow storm. I know several people that's happened too.

I agree it's just an option, but then again abortion is an option too, doesn't make it right.

Lol... because power windows is a new, completely untested technology. No other cars are ever out in a rain or snow storm... Definately no convertibles...
Come to think of it... I'm pissed at jeep for even putting an electrical system in the car... Or seats that move, they are just waiting to break, I know several people that's happened to.
Unread 09-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #71
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFoot
Lol... because power windows is a new, completely untested technology. No other cars are ever out in a rain or snow storm... Definately no convertibles...
Come to think of it... I'm pissed at jeep for even putting an electrical system in the car... Or seats that move, they are just waiting to break, I know several people that's happened to.
I'm still pissed about the electric starter motor and the windshield wipers!!

SCouch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #72
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
You know what I think, I think that there are now 2 different kinds of Jeep owners; those who are off-road enthusiasts, and those who just like the way the Wrangler looks driving down the coast with the top down and doors off.
There is also a 3rd, the one that does both!
SCouch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #73
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCouch
I'm still pissed about the electric starter motor and the windshield wipers!!

I know... my starter broke, and it wasn't even in a snow/rain storm... it just broke... I was so pissed, I couldn't even start my jeep... Now if I had had a hand crank I would have been so much better off.

I actually had an old Opel once where the windshield wipers were driven by the engine vacuum. Now while I consider the vacuum system in cars to be modern junk, it was so much better than these new electric piece of crap they put on cars nowadays.
They were even speed sensitive (the faster I drove the slower they would wipe) it was awesome.
Unread 09-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #74
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
There is also a 3rd, the one that does both!
That's true!! Now that I have recently moved near the beach, I guess I am in that category .
wrnglrguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #75
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddastrat
And there you have it people: adding power windows to your jeep kills babies!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.