"never be accepted as a Jeep" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > "never be accepted as a Jeep"

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Closed Thread
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #46
blong83cj7

I'm just glad that we'll have a full 10 years off before jeep redesigns and all the die-hard JK owners will be bashing the new JX models claiming that their JK is the last "REAL" jeep. Seriously......can we just start deleting these stupid posts.

(Oh by the way...my father's uncle's cousin's brother's nephew really diggs the new JK. And he is the grandson of the commander of the allied forces in WWII)

i think i'm gonna puke

Unread 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #47
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Actually, I saw a poster that stated that Jeep was was the only vehicle where compass/nav system should be standard equipment. Too funny.. I guess when you can go anywhere and have no limits, you don't want to get lost.
Unread 09-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #48
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I guess we are all alike, just different thresholds of where to draw the Jeep line! I was shocked to find out there will be 2 wheel drive Wranglers. Will a 2 wheel drive really be a Jeep?
Unread 09-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #49
avh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdyer14
Well I'm going into the TJ forum to start a topic of how much better the JK is than the TJ,,,isn't that what the forums are for (j/k)
That's funny. As soon as I can afford one I will get a 4 door so my wife can wheel it behind me in my YJ. We have 2 kids already and will be having more. What better way to spend a summer camping trip than to wheel as a complete family and what better way to do it than in a Jeep Wrangler. Or, I guess I could get a 4runner.
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #50
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
Actually, I saw a poster that stated that Jeep was was the only vehicle where compass/nav system should be standard equipment. Too funny.. I guess when you can go anywhere and have no limits, you don't want to get lost.
I don't know about standard equipment, but it would make sense for Jeep to do that, at least in the SWB since quite a number of people carry handheld GPS units anyway. Personally I like the new Wrangler, both the 2-door and 4-door. I am mixed as far as a 2wd unit, but I agree with the philosophy that whatever Jeep has to do to allow them to continue to offer the 4wd models, then that can't be bad. The only other thing I am not so sure about would be the 3.8l V6 but I will not judge too harshly yet. Time will certainly tell what kind of decision that was to go with that engine. It may work out just fine for the SWB but not with the 4-door (as some reviews have already come back stating) and i'm certain that if the 4-door needs more engine, then DC will respond with more and better choices. We need to remember that they could produce models that will allow them to make money, continue production, and continue development or they could limit themselves, watch revenues slow or decrease, have development suffer and ultimately production will cease. My choice would have to be for the former option. Especially after seeing prototypes like the Gladiator and the Hurricane. Even if the Gladiator didn't make it into production (yet!!! I certainly think it is only a matter of time), it is more than obvious that the styling did make it to the new Wrangler. Now if they would only come out with a production model that had 37" tires stock and 2 hemis as an option!
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #51
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Real men don't want Nav systems. That's like asking for directions.

: )
(just a joke)
Unread 09-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #52
xanimal80

this thread is so stupid...

Like I care if guys riding around in a 2-door TJ with manual windows consider my 4-door JK with power group a 'real Jeep' or not...

The truck exists whether you like it or not, and if you don't think it's a Jeep, then call it something else if you want to...I'll call it a Jeep, and a MUCH-improved one at that
Unread 09-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #53
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCouch
I guess we are all alike, just different thresholds of where to draw the Jeep line! I was shocked to find out there will be 2 wheel drive Wranglers. Will a 2 wheel drive really be a Jeep?
You guys need to spruce up your Jeep history a bit before you start slamming 2wd anything.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Poster/DJ3A.html
Unread 09-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #54
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They have made 2wd Cherokee's and Grand Cherokees, and now Liberty too.

But Wrangler was the one, that no matter what had the 4WD capability.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
Unread 09-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #55
tplochar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave
I'm pretty sure a JK will outwheel most modded TJ's, too.
Huh? I don't care for the exterior appearance of the JK or the fact that the I6 is leaving but I am waiting on my ultimate judgement until I actually drive one. Shouldn't you wait for your judgement on whether or not it will outrun a modded TJ until you actually wheel a JK?
33x10.50 BFG A/T on 15x8 Blacked Out Cragars
A to Z Fabrication Rockers
K & N Intake
Unread 09-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #56
mossberg

I can see what you guys are saying about jeeps evolving, but I mean, come on, the forefathers of Jeep would not be proud of the compasss. Its designed, engineered, and marketed for the city!
Unread 09-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #57
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossberg
I can see what you guys are saying about jeeps evolving, but I mean, come on, the forefathers of Jeep would not be proud of the compasss. Its designed, engineered, and marketed for the city!
Good for the city slickers.
Unread 09-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #58
avh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCouch
Good for the city slickers.
And keeps Jeep in the black.
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #59
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplochar
Huh? I don't care for the exterior appearance of the JK or the fact that the I6 is leaving but I am waiting on my ultimate judgement until I actually drive one. Shouldn't you wait for your judgement on whether or not it will outrun a modded TJ until you actually wheel a JK?
Alright then, how about me, can I play? I've wheeled the stock JK on Cadillac Hill a few times, (several actually) and there's not a single thing a stock 06 Rubi can do that the Stock 07 JK can't do better, smoother, easier, or with more grace on the trail.

I was fortunate enough to drive them back to back for A/B comparisons in a short time span so the impressions both made were easy to compare.

To be equivalent, you will need to outfit the 06 with a fly by wire throttle, larger tires, remote swaybar disconnect, different seats with height adjustability and a med length arm suspension as well as some additional lift. That would just be to get even and that still makes it a modded TJ.
Unread 09-19-2006, 09:45 PM   #60
KA5IVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauleskyrocket
I took a friend today to see and drive the new "Jeep". His father drove one in WWII. He has a Willys Jeep that is Army surplus from WWII. He always comments that my TJ is bigger but is "true to the spirit". Now I know you guys will shoot the messenger---but after he looked at and drove a 4 door---he had but one comment----"This will never be accepted as a Jeep"---"It is for soccer Moms".
I saw my first JK in person over the weekend. I must admit, it looks a lot better in person than just viewing the photos. I liked some things and some I still don't. I liked the steering wheel and gauges. The doors were more solid than I thought they would be. I still don't like the tail lights, square top, front plastic fenders, or V6. The front grill needs some work too. But, hey they have ROUND headlights!

My father was in WWII as well. He always tells me about the Jeeps the Marines had and how dangerous they were to drive and how he once turned over in one. I wonder if they were on a Beer Run at the time?

My reasoning in buying a 2006 TJ instead of waiting was that I can always go out and get a JK, if I decide I like it enough. When my girlfriend saw the JK, first thing she said was it was a Soccer Mom car and not Jeep looking enough. I'll give it a chance but really do not believe it will Wheel any better than a CJ, YJ, or TJ! I might even wave to one, if they wave first and some Hot Soccer Mom is driving it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.