"never be accepted as a Jeep" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > "never be accepted as a Jeep"

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Closed Thread
Unread 09-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #16
4.0v8eater

I hate the old jeeps

Id love a new jk no doubt, id also go for a cj7 but anything older suxs i hate em. ww2 jeeps wack daddy give me a wrangler any day.

Unread 09-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #17
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottymouth
Not getting on your a$$ about it but for the love of christ on a tricycle, tell your friends dad the war is over!

I remember the firestorm when the TJs were launched. It looked too girly, the interior is too nice, and NO LEAF SPRINGS?! Well, here we are 10 model years later and the TJ has proven itself to be one helluva Jeep.

With that said, everyone needs to chill out and give the JK time. I agree that power windows/locks is weird and shouldn't be in a Wrangler. But not simply because it's a Wrangler, but because it's something that doesn't jive well with mud/water/dirt. In fact, the vast majority of people in here that are flipping out about the JK have probably not driven one and have not had a chance to form their own opinion.

Yesterday I posted a big review about my experience test driving a JK. As I said in there, the two things that really bother me about it is electronics and plastic.....there's too much of both. But, if the frame is truly 100% stiffer and the rest of the vehicle, on paper anyways, stands at least even with its TJ predecessor, are people screaming about the exterior appearance? That I can understand if you don't like it, but, in no way, shape, or form does that mean that "it will never be accepted as a Jeep". I'm sure that when the aftermarket suppliers are caught up, the JK rubi will be one helluva Jeep.

Good points - and I don't think anything serious was meant by the tricycle statement (LOL) - was a bit of a silly post to begin with.

I agree with your comments/concerns, but I have to say with regards to the power windows/locks - they are only optional. If you don't want them, don't get em. And at least the placement of the lock controls is center dash, which should insulate them pretty well from flying mud and water. Doors are easily removed so that solves your power window vulnerability.
Unread 09-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #18
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

It really starts to get a little silly on here, listening to all the folks griping about the new JK "Why couldn't they just keep building TJ's", "Why can't they keep the 4.0L, we don't want the 3.8L", "This has too much Plastic" etc, etc.

Just so you know, the folks at Daimler Chrysler could have just pulled the plug on the Wrangler at the end of the 2006 Model Year, and saved themselves a lot of headaches. The TJ Wrangler, as it is currently built, does not meet the new Federal Safety Standards for 2007 Vehicles (no multi-stage airbags, no Occupant Classification System, no Electronic Stability Program, no Front/Rear Impact Absorbing Bumpers, No Rear Seat Head Restraints, does not meet side/frontal impact requirements...and the list goes on).

Rather than just letting the Wrangler fade off into the sunset, Daimler Chrysler designed a newer version of the Wrangler, and incorporated all of the safety features that now must be included on vehicles. One other aspect they took into consideration...people have been crying for a 4-Door Wrangler for years now. Well, now you have the Wrangler in both the 2-Door Configuration, and in the 4-Door Configuration. The best thing about the 4-Door...now you can fit 5 People in the Vehicle!

Folks, things change, nothing remains the same, and yes, our Jeeps must change and evolve as well. The JK is the latest in a proud heritage of Jeep Vehicles, and it too will wear it's Jeep namebadge with honor.

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Unread 09-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #19
littleman66
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr314
It really starts to get a little silly on here, listening to all the folks griping about the new JK "Why couldn't they just keep building TJ's", "Why can't they keep the 4.0L, we don't want the 3.8L", "This has too much Plastic" etc, etc.

Just so you know, the folks at Daimler Chrysler could have just pulled the plug on the Wrangler at the end of the 2006 Model Year, and saved themselves a lot of headaches. The TJ Wrangler, as it is currently built, does not meet the new Federal Safety Standards for 2007 Vehicles (no multi-stage airbags, no Occupant Classification System, no Electronic Stability Program, no Front/Rear Impact Absorbing Bumpers, No Rear Seat Head Restraints, does not meet side/frontal impact requirements...and the list goes on).

Rather than just letting the Wrangler fade off into the sunset, Daimler Chrysler designed a newer version of the Wrangler, and incorporated all of the safety features that now must be included on vehicles. One other aspect they took into consideration...people have been crying for a 4-Door Wrangler for years now. Well, now you have the Wrangler in both the 2-Door Configuration, and in the 4-Door Configuration. The best thing about the 4-Door...now you can fit 5 People in the Vehicle!

Folks, things change, nothing remains the same, and yes, our Jeeps must change and evolve as well. The JK is the latest in a proud heritage of Jeep Vehicles, and it too will wear it's Jeep namebadge with honor.
BAM!! exactly!
Unread 09-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #20
Lostj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I kindof like the j/k and I already have a tj so I'm not That mad that they have stopped making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr314
The best thing about the 4-Door...now you can fit 5 People in the Vehicle!
umm... we can fit 5 people in our tj's
lx015oɹd uǝpıun 'ɥɔuıʍ ql0009ɟɥ ؛ɹǝıɹɹɐɔ ǝɹıʇ pol 'sɹǝpuǝɟ ǝqnʇ pǝɹɐlɟ"5˙4ʇuʇ :˙ɔsıɯ ؛sɹǝpıls sʞɹoʍʞɔoɹɥs 'pıʞs ǝuıƃuǝ ɔıpǝɯdǝǝɾ 'pıʞs ɹoʇɐıpɐɹ s,ʎʇsnɹ 'ʞuɐʇsɐƃ puɐ xoq ƃuıɹǝǝʇs ʇɥƃıɹuǝƃ :spıʞs ؛pɐoɹɟɟo ɹoɟ sɹǝƃƃoq"53 'ʇǝǝɹʇs ɹoɟ s,ʇ/ɯdɯoɔoɹd"53 :sǝɹıʇ ؛lɯɯ"1 'lq"52˙1 'spq "2 :ʇɟıl ؛ɹǝʌoɔ uǝɯʞoɹ 'loods-ıuıɯ 'sǝʞɐɹq ɔsıp 'sʎollɐ ɥʇıʍ 44p ؛ɹǝʌoɔ ɹǝɥsnɹɔʞɔoɹ 'slɐǝs ǝlxɐ ɹǝʇno 'ɹǝʞɔol ǝıssnɐ 'sʎollɐ /ʍ 03p '6ı :ɾʇ,00
44p '03p '6ı :5ɾɔ,37
s,ʇ/ɐ ƃɟq"23 '44p '03p '8ʌ063 :5ɾɔ,47

The Swamp Things 4x4 Club Jeep Talk HomeGrown Offroad
Unread 09-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #21
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo
umm... we can fit 5 people in our tj's
Chopped up in a garbage bag?
Unread 09-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #22
Putnam Dan

Ever seen a Dolma (sp) in Turkey, an old jeep refitted as a taxi - not the crazy oriental bus jeeps basically a WWII jeep with a rollcage - They can carry about 10 hanging off the things. Now that does feel fast, hanging off the back of a jeep on the edge of a cliff feeling your grip lessen with every passing moment.

I say congrats to all the JK looks like it will keep the legend going - designed specifically for the aftermarket to play with.
Unread 09-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #23
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

It must really bother the haters that a stock JK will outwheel a stock TJ.

That just has to sting.
Unread 09-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #24
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2u77
It must really bother the haters that a stock JK will outwheel a stock TJ.

That just has to sting.
I'm pretty sure a JK will outwheel most modded TJ's, too.
Unread 09-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #25
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0v8eater
Id love a new jk no doubt, id also go for a cj7 but anything older suxs i hate em. ww2 jeeps wack daddy give me a wrangler any day.

Are you high?

You do realize that they made CJ-7's going as far back as the 70's right?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #26
davemac45067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
i feel, however, that they are too refined. the point of a jeep is not to ride in comfort or quiet or have power windows, but if they can add all that stuff and keep it as a capable off road vehicle, more power to them. i just dont think of those things when i think "jeep"
My new 07 unlimited is my 9th Jeep and I can say in all honesty, regardless of what your personal opinion may dictate, that it is a Jeep in the truest sense of the word.

Obviously, the CJs were the *original Jeeps... but remember what we were all saying in 1991? "They have square headlights, ewwww!" Remember 1997? "It's to squatty looking, ewwww!"

When we were first looking at the 2007s I commented to my wife "It's like a Jeep grew up and went to college!"

Now the Compass... that is another story altogether.

*Original if you don't count the Bantam, or the fact that Ford actually designed the now famous seven-slotted grill.
Unread 09-15-2006, 01:50 AM   #27
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac45067

Remember 1997? "It's to feminine looking, ewwww!"

Fixed it for ya...

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Unread 09-15-2006, 07:20 AM   #28
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus

i feel, however, that they are too refined. the point of a jeep is not to ride in comfort or quiet or have power windows, but if they can add all that stuff and keep it as a capable off road vehicle, more power to them. i just dont think of those things when i think "jeep"

Agree on the refinements. Takes the fun out of it for me. Even the ride is soft car like now. boo.

But it'll be alright after you buy it and then spend about $5K in bumpers, flares, steering wheel, doors, power mods etc.. aftermarket stuff to make it good.
Unread 09-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #29
Pags54

Think of all the crap that's going to fly when the 2050 Hover Jeeps come out.
Unread 09-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #30
buddastrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Now that's funny!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.