"never be accepted as a Jeep" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > "never be accepted as a Jeep"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Closed Thread
Unread 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
mauleskyrocket

"never be accepted as a Jeep"

I took a friend today to see and drive the new "Jeep". His father drove one in WWII. He has a Willys Jeep that is Army surplus from WWII. He always comments that my TJ is bigger but is "true to the spirit". Now I know you guys will shoot the messenger---but after he looked at and drove a 4 door---he had but one comment----"This will never be accepted as a Jeep"---"It is for soccer Moms".

Unread 09-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
grrnmo

Oh, well if his FATHER drove one in WWII then I guess the argument is over...I'll cancel my order...

...NOT...

Good GOD almighty!
Unread 09-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrnmo
Oh, well if his FATHER drove one in WWII then I guess the argument is over...I'll cancel my order...

...NOT...

Good GOD almighty!

Unread 09-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
oddball

Back in the 70's People that drove 4 wd (any type) were cool..Not many people had them back than...Now EVERYONE has one..so no big deal...Now Jeep is going after the Socker mom/city people and soon The jeep will end up the same way...and end up being just another 4wd Truck..That never goes off road..just to the Mall...How Said
Unread 09-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
2002RockHog

thats what everyone said about the Hummer or Humvee.
It is what you make of it.
You want balls to the wall offroad, make it a crawler.
You want to go to the mall, keep it stock/civilian/base model or whatever you want to call it.
Face it, very few drive a "stock" jeep.
our forefathers of the Jeep would be extremely dissapointed in the hating going on here. They wil die loving Jeep for better or for worse, LJ or TJ, CJ or YJ, commander or Cherokee, etc.

Bottom line is, your WWII Grandaddy's Jeep stories cannot even compare to today's needs. I dont need to explain it cause everyonje already knows there's not 1 military Jeep wrangler in Iraq.
Same for the civilian era, same for the trail era, etc., etc., etc.

I will give you props for having someone in the family who has been around since the Jeep and has a personal experience with them, but I'll be the first to admit that I have never driven a military Jeep, and unless all the haters here have, I would suggest you all go measure your weiners somewhere else and stop hating.

Oh, BTW, my wife is a soccer mom by day,
BUT SHE'LL, OUT CRAWL, OUT CLIMB, OUT TRAIL YOU IN MY JEEP ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!
and if she doesn't, she'll have fun tryin, and THATS WHAT JEEPIN is all about....

Past...
2002 TJ Rock Crawler (sold to Adam)
Fill width Dana 60's Detroits 5.38 full floater
Poison Spyder cage, exo cage, 40" Swampers
Unread 09-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
jpaddict

When the TJ came out, people wined about the coil springs, since Jeeps always had leaf springs.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Take your ball and go home.
Unread 09-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002RockHog
thats what everyone said about the Hummer or Humvee.
It is what you make of it.
You want balls to the wall offroad, make it a crawler.
You want to go to the mall, keep it stock/civilian/base model or whatever you want to call it.
Face it, very few drive a "stock" jeep.
our forefathers of the Jeep would be extremely dissapointed in the hating going on here. They wil die loving Jeep for better or for worse, LJ or TJ, CJ or YJ, commander or Cherokee, etc.

Bottom line is, your WWII Grandaddy's Jeep stories cannot even compare to today's needs. I dont need to explain it cause everyonje already knows there's not 1 military Jeep wrangler in Iraq.
Same for the civilian era, same for the trail era, etc., etc., etc.

I will give you props for having someone in the family who has been around since the Jeep and has a personal experience with them, but I'll be the first to admit that I have never driven a military Jeep, and unless all the haters here have, I would suggest you all go measure your weiners somewhere else and stop hating.

Oh, BTW, my wife is a soccer mom by day,
BUT SHE'LL, OUT CRAWL, OUT CLIMB, OUT TRAIL YOU IN MY JEEP ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!
and if she doesn't, she'll have fun tryin, and THATS WHAT JEEPIN is all about....
Well said.

I have driven a military Jeep or at least the civilian version (a friend of mine had a Willys back in high school). No ac, no heater, no radio, couldn't keep up with a moped in town or anything on the highway (top speed was about 65 mph and it felt like 120), rode like a radio flyer. It could climb just about anything and fit just about anywhere off-road but Jeep wouldn't sell more than 50 of these a year if they tried (and that's if it could somehow be made to pass federal regulations).

Jeeps will evolve. The TJ was a modest evolution and so is the JK. The JK is better than the TJ in every objective measurement except maybe power to weight. But power to weight and power characteristics are close and should be just fine for the Wrangler's purposes (which isn't drag racing). I continue to be amazed how many hardcore off-road purists are basing their complete opinion of the JK on looks (a lot of CJ owners are also probably surprised at how many of these so-called purists are TJ owners).
Unread 09-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
millhouse1

I hope all the soccer moms buy them, just means than when it's time to replace the tj there will be some non abused jk crd rubicons flooding the secondhand market!!!
Unread 09-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #9
Dukes69

This is why the search doesn't work. Idiots posting garbage.
AIM: Dukes69

Ya Savvy?
Unread 09-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

if it can wheel like my stock tj, then it will be a jeep to me.

i feel, however, that they are too refined. the point of a jeep is not to ride in comfort or quiet or have power windows, but if they can add all that stuff and keep it as a capable off road vehicle, more power to them. i just dont think of those things when i think "jeep"

doesnt matter either way. i could barely afford my 97 TJ i bought this summer, wont be seeing another vehicle till after college.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Unread 09-12-2006, 05:48 AM   #11
grrnmo

We were taught in the Army that:
Jeep = GP = General Purpose Military Vehicle

The POINT of the Jeep (from the very first first unit tested at Holabird in Baltimore) is to FULFILL A NEED!

Jeep Division need? Sales

Family need? More seats

Safety need (when you produce a vehicle that SEEMS like it could be for "soccer Moms" but in the Rubicon form is clearly NOT)? Tamer 2WD versions

Actually I LOVE that this is a vehicle that will better suit my needs. When the newer, tamer versions of the S2000 came out posters to s2ki.com were flaming it because it wasn't a "real" S2000...now there are more AP2 models on the road than AP1s - and the people that have them love them.

Now, if your fear is that some soccer mom will buy a 2WD Jeep Unlimited and then get stuck with it off-roading and give Jeep a bad name - I think that fear is a little squirrely as a soccer mom won't be off-roading any further than to pull into the grass when the parking lot is too full at the soccer game.

Jeep = GP = General Purpose

What is MORE Jeep (General Purpose Vehicle) than a generation with options to suit as many people as want to park one in their garage...which equates to more profit for the company...which equates to more $$ for Jeep R&D...
Unread 09-12-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Pottymouth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Location: 30 minutes south of Baghdad....oops....I mean Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauleskyrocket
I took a friend today to see and drive the new "Jeep". His father drove one in WWII. He has a Willys Jeep that is Army surplus from WWII. He always comments that my TJ is bigger but is "true to the spirit". Now I know you guys will shoot the messenger---but after he looked at and drove a 4 door---he had but one comment----"This will never be accepted as a Jeep"---"It is for soccer Moms".
Not getting on your a$$ about it but for the love of christ on a tricycle, tell your friends dad the war is over!

I remember the firestorm when the TJs were launched. It looked too girly, the interior is too nice, and NO LEAF SPRINGS?! Well, here we are 10 model years later and the TJ has proven itself to be one helluva Jeep.

With that said, everyone needs to chill out and give the JK time. I agree that power windows/locks is weird and shouldn't be in a Wrangler. But not simply because it's a Wrangler, but because it's something that doesn't jive well with mud/water/dirt. In fact, the vast majority of people in here that are flipping out about the JK have probably not driven one and have not had a chance to form their own opinion.

Yesterday I posted a big review about my experience test driving a JK. As I said in there, the two things that really bother me about it is electronics and plastic.....there's too much of both. But, if the frame is truly 100% stiffer and the rest of the vehicle, on paper anyways, stands at least even with its TJ predecessor, are people screaming about the exterior appearance? That I can understand if you don't like it, but, in no way, shape, or form does that mean that "it will never be accepted as a Jeep". I'm sure that when the aftermarket suppliers are caught up, the JK rubi will be one helluva Jeep.
10" Kicker Compvx Subwoofer
350W Kicker Amp
A big back seat for some fun with the lady friends
Unread 09-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #13
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Last weekend I did some light wheeling with my TJ along with a family friend to who we recently gave my brothers flat fender M38 (modded)... just exercising the Jeeps in the woods in honor of my brother. Afterwards we stopped at the local dealership and parked the Jeeps next to a 4 door JK. I stood back and looked at them lined up. I saw.... Jeep, Jeep and, yes, Jeep. The bloodline is clearly evident.
I'm really amazed at all the pissing and moaning over the JK.
Unread 09-12-2006, 07:14 AM   #14
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jeep forum!

HEY! We talk about Jeep's here and we DO NOT talk smack about our Vets!!!
Unread 09-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #15
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes69
This is why the search doesn't work. Idiots posting garbage.

Amen to THAT!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.