Need Stories about failing clutch systems, going to small claims court. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Stories about failing clutch systems, going to small claims court.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Need Stories about failing clutch systems, going to small claims court.

Before you read my story, I am more interest in yours. I need to hear your stories about your stories about when and how you clutch has failed in your jeep. Out of anger and frustration, I am going to small claims court to argue my case and I believe that write ups about similar situation will help.

!!!SO PLEASE HELP!!!

Now to begin, I own a 2013 JKU(6-spd). For 32K, it was mine, all mine. And like any new jeep owner, it was love at first sight. I drove it for four thousand miles in the first month alone, and of course, I gently broke in the thirty thousand dollar investment. Like a fool, I followed the owner’s manual just so that I would be covered under warranty. I drove my jeep slow, under 50 miles per hour; even on the 270 and 70 west bound. Out of fear of damaging the inner components of the engine, I didn’t even come close to 4500 rotation per minute for a month; the fear outweighed the excitement. Then, on June 14, 2013, the reality and horror of Italian engineering came to surface.

On a beautiful mid-afternoon summer day, my cousin and I decided to drive on a beach. The beach was on the ocean side off of route 1, right after you cross the Maryland border into Delaware. I began the expedition in four wheel drive high, easily concurring the massive mound of sand by the entrance, not once did I ride the clutch. As we continued to drive on the sand, I noticed an added strange resistance. Beside the obvious resistance caused by sand, I didn’t know what was going on. Out of fear of damaging the love of my life (I’m talking about the jeep, not my cousin. I am not from WV…o_O), I stopped and put my jeep in four wheel drive low, and started to crawl towards the road. Soon after, I began to smell my clutch burning, so I left the car running to let it cool, and the jeep died on me.

Long story short, since it was found on the beach I was charged with the repairs. I had to buy a flywheel, starter, clutch, and the labor.

Four months later, I heard the familiar noise of a bad throw out bearing. I took my jeep to a local dealer, and they had to replace the clutch kit-Pressure Pate, lever, bearing, spring and gasket maker.

When I called Chrysler and demanded the money back for the labor of the first job. They said that it was impossible for this to be an error from the first repair. Even thought this service guy from the deal ship said that the first job was not done right and therefore caused this failure.

Buchanan Automotive, in Waynesboro, Pa is a GREAT DEALSHIP. They honor their contract and do great work on their vehicles.

Just so everbody know, this is my level of skill, while driving off-road.

1. I aid down my tires to around 15 psi,

2. Second, I shifted into 4H, I slowly began to approach a mound of sand.
a. I drove slow, I didn’t want a lot of wheel spin, I knew that driving in sand is different than driving in mud. If I spin my wheels too fast I will dig myself into a hole.

3. Third, I moved towards the firmer sand toward the coast

4. Fourth, I started to loose power
a. I check my temperature gauges and oil pressure, nothing was hot or out of the normal operation range.
b. It kept on happening, so I stopped the vehicle and put it in 4wd L and slowly crawled towards an exit.

5. Then, my jeep clutch got really hot, and I started to smell it.
a. I let my jeep idle, to keep it cool and then it died.

Unread 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I think your on your own with that one. If it was one shop that did a bad job then your looking for a needle in a haystack.

If I might ask though, why not go into 4lo on sand? It can be really hard on components to be lugging the jeep like that. You wont be going that fast....
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Unread 10-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
I think your on your own with that one. If it was one shop that did a bad job then your looking for a needle in a haystack.

If I might ask though, why not go into 4lo on sand? It can be really hard on components to be lugging the jeep like that. You wont be going that fast....
we have a winner.

You fried the clutch in sand because you were in H4. There is way to much friction in sand and your gear is just not low enough in 4H is sand. if it was am auto it would have overheated too.

In sand unless you are going VERY fast. Low range.........Pluss your low range is not that low in a Sport. for sand you 2:73 low would have been perfect were a rubi Low can be a bit to much, better in rocks.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
we have a winner.

You fried the clutch in sand because you were in H4. There is way to much friction in sand and your gear is just not low enough in 4H is sand. if it was am auto it would have overheated too.
I have to call BS on this. All and I say ALLLL of my off roading is beach driving (live on an island). Everytime it is 15 psi, 15 mph, 1st gear, 4H.

Dont ride the clutch and air down the tires and you are fine. I have driven in 4h in all my jeeps both auto and manual. Never once have I had a transmission issue. I also know this is not luck, its just how you drive it.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Also, OP what is your plan to show that the vehicle was defective and should have been fixed under warranty? Going in by saying it should not happen ever doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me. Driver skill can always be questioned. Or are you going off what the second mechanic said by saying the parts were installed incorrectly?

Quote:
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Unread 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
we have a winner.

In sand unless you are going VERY fast. Low range.........Pluss your low range is not that low in a Sport. for sand you 2:73 low would have been perfect were a rubi Low can be a bit to much, better in rocks.
I will go more in-depth to better explain my driving skill.
1. I aid down my tires to around 15 psi,

2. Second, I shifted into 4H, I slowly began to approach a mound of sand.
a. I drove slow, I didn’t want a lot of wheel spin, I knew that driving in sand is different than driving in mud. If I spin my wheels too fast I will dig myself into a hole.

3. Third, I moved towards the firmer sand toward the coast

4. Fourth, I started to loose power
a. I check my temperature gauges and oil pressure, nothing was hot or out of the normal operation range.
b. It kept on happening, so I stopped the vehicle and put it in 4wd L and slowly crawled towards an exit.

5. Then, my jeep clutch got really hot, and I started to smell it.
a. I let my jeep idle, to keep it cool and then it died.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, OP what is your plan to show that the vehicle was defective and should have been fixed under warranty? Going in by saying it should not happen ever doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me. Driver skill can always be questioned. Or are you going off what the second mechanic said by saying the parts were installed incorrectly?
My friend’s dad worked on transmissions for Mach truck, he was a mechanical engineer. He said, that based off my story the clutch failed. Luckily, I am also related to a lot of third party engineers that, based off my story agree that the clutch system failed.

I am currently a military police solider in the Reserves, I have deployed and the majority of our mission was driving through undeveloped parts of Afghanistan. I have multiple licenses that make me a qualified driver, on and off the road, especially sand.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

LT, i think you had a bad clutch to begin with, but chrysler is using what ever excuse it can to get out of warranty work.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTGreek View Post
My friend’s dad worked on transmissions for Mach truck, he was a mechanical engineer. He said, that based off my story the clutch failed. Luckily, I am also related to a lot of third party engineers that, based off my story agree that the clutch system failed.

I am currently a military police solider in the Reserves, I have deployed and the majority of our mission was driving through undeveloped parts of Afghanistan. I have multiple licenses that make me a qualified driver, on and off the road, especially sand.
Im a mechanical engineer. I would not say my opinion on a clutch failing is valid in court.... We are not geniuses because of our degrees.

Thats good, I dont know law at all but to me that does not sound like good evidence. Im thinking if you had physical proof it would be not be disputable.

Thank you for your service BTW

Quote:

Unread 10-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

He asked what proof you intend to provide the court with, not how many people you can rustle up to agree with whatever you told them.

So again, how do you intend to prove that the clutch was defective, failed due to no wrongdoing on your part and should be covered under warranty?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
LT, i think you had a bad clutch to begin with, but chrysler is using what ever excuse it can to get out of warranty work.
The second you say the word “clutch,” to them, they get extremely offensive, because they feel the industry standard is to not cover it, no matter what happens. I can’t even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in Chrysler’s customer service.
I
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The second you say the word “clutch,” to them, they get extremely offensive, because they feel the industry standard is to not cover it, no matter what happens. I can’t even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in Chrysler’s customer service.
I
Is it because you fried a clutch after 32k and now they wont replace it? Also if i remember wear components are only covered for 2 years or 20k miles. You would be out of warranty if that is the case.

Quote:

Unread 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
He asked what proof you intend to provide the court with, not how many people you can rustle up to agree with whatever you told them.

So again, how do you intend to prove that the clutch was defective, failed due to no wrongdoing on your part and should be covered under warranty?

I have a witness, He is going to say the truth. We will begin by telling the judge what happened on the beach. I will bring in a manual, and show the judge what a jeep is capable of overcoming according to the manufacturer. Also, I will show the judge my licenses and explain my creditable as a driver on and off road according to the United States Army. After, I give an in-depth explanation of what happen on the beach, whatever engineer will explain how a clutch work and the reasons why it could fail in that situation. I will also say, that if the manual, and Chrysler’s Marketing claims that their trail rated vehicles can handle the sand on a beach. Then I will mention the second time it failed, but this time the fingers on the pressure plate were warped, and explain how in no way that any of this could be cause by the operator.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Is it because you fried a clutch after 32k and now they wont replace it? Also if i remember wear components are only covered for 2 years or 20k miles. You would be out of warranty if that is the case.
Sorry about the confusion, I paid 32K for the jeep. At the time, it had less than six thousand miles.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

All the best then, the rules about giving expert testimony must be different there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.