Need some input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some input

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
outbackfarmer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Need some input

I have a 1998 wrangler with 4.0, 35" tires, and an automatic. It is a GREAT jeep and fit us perfect. But, we added another child in July and now we will not all fit in the 98. So I have had my eye out for an Unlimited. I found one that is not to far away, but will take a special trip to go check out.

It is a 2007 Unlimited Sahara hardtop 62K miles with 3.8, automatic, 4" procomp lift, 37" Toyo MT Tires, Chrome Procomp wheels (spare too), nice Kenwood system (nav, buetooth), warn front and rear bumper with winch, alarm system.

This thing looks like it is tricked out and has a lot of high end extras. They have it priced at 25K, but I think 22K-23K cash will buy it. Please give me your thoughts on the set up and the price.

2013 JK Unlimited Freedom Edition mods underway! / 1998 Wrangler 4.0 Auto 4" Lift ProComp 33's / 2006 Z06 Corvette Supercharged Le Mans Blue / 2010 ZR1 Corvette Blade Silver 710HP Lingenfilter / DD 2011 Longhorn Mega Ram 4X4 / DD 2012 Tahoe LTZ 4X4
outbackfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
BlackedOut13Jk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well first thing to check is if it was re-geared because with 37's and and auto it would be extremely underpowered and be very inefficient. Another thing to consider is how long this Jeep has had the lift and 37's and why. Was this someone's mudding rig that they beat on for years. Does it have gussets and proper mods to support the wear of 37's? I also think the price is very high for a 2007. Should be more around the 21,000 range. These are just things I personally would consider and being that its a family vehicle I would be extra cautious as an improperly setup rig can be a nightmare.
BlackedOut13Jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sounds to me like they are trying to recoup some of the money spent on mods. You could probably pick up an 09 for around the same money with fewer miles on it. Plus, like BlackedOut said or at least hinted at, this could be a can of worms just waiting to be cracked open since they are more than likely not going to tell you exactly how bad they may have treated it.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
MYounts
2014 JK Wrangler 

Nothing says "rode hard and put up wet" like mods. Maybe it was owned by a little old lady who just drove it back and forth to church, but the problem is, as with any used car, you just don't know. So you look for clues to how it's been treated. This one has clues.
MYounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
outbackfarmer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice.

The jeep had 4:10 from the factory, and the dealer does not know if they have been changed or not. My guess is they have not. Salesman says he has drove it and does not seam underpowered....for whatever that is worth!

The jeep does not show any tell tell signs of abuse, but that is not to say it has not been road hard. The thing that caught my attention on this jeep is all the mods are the top of the line. Usually if someone is going to mod and spend the coin to get the best they take care of them. I have a couple of highly modded corvettes, that I bought used (granted less than 5K miles). They have the best of the best and basically got all the mods for free. Cars were bought for less than comparable bone stock cars. But I know a lot about corvettes, and dont know didly about Jeeps. The jeep is on ebay item number 150966837101

What would it cost to put a 4" lift, 35" tires, new wheels, doing it right on a JK? Say I go buy a stock JK sahara unlimited then build it simular to this one. What will the mods cost?
2013 JK Unlimited Freedom Edition mods underway! / 1998 Wrangler 4.0 Auto 4" Lift ProComp 33's / 2006 Z06 Corvette Supercharged Le Mans Blue / 2010 ZR1 Corvette Blade Silver 710HP Lingenfilter / DD 2011 Longhorn Mega Ram 4X4 / DD 2012 Tahoe LTZ 4X4
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

You are talking street use or trail use. That Jeep you listed is far from "done right" with 37".
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
outbackfarmer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
You are talking street use or trail use. That Jeep you listed is far from "done right" with 37".
I wouldnt know if it was "done right". That is why I am asking on here. I just know that the toyo tires, kenwood system, procomp lift, are all on the higher end from a cost stand point compared to less expensive alternatives. If I had one built, it would have 35" tires. I think the 37's are an overkill for what I would do with it.

I would mainly use it for light trail duty and to run short distances around town. I would haul it if we were going more than 100 miles or so. It would be another toy....so it needs to look cool and be reliable. I am not going to enter in mud bogs or rock climbing contest. I get my kicks with speed. At the Texas Mile in a ZR1...183.9 miles an hour in October.
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

IMHO...Sounds like these guys don't know **** about Jeeps.

The Wrangler's off-road ability has actually improved, with increased ground clearance and better wheel articulation than before, Dana axles, new electric axle lockers, and an electronic-disconnecting front stabilizer bar, called the active sway bar system (ASBS). Wrangler X and Sahara models get the second-generation version of Jeep's Command-Trac system, a part-time 4WD system with two-speed transfer case. A limited-slip differential is available. The especially rugged Rubicon model gets a Rock-Trac transfer case with a crawler 4.0:1 low range, along with front and rear axle lockers, Dana 44 axles, and serious 32-inch B.F. Goodrich off-road tires.The interior is considerably roomier than before, and more convenience features are available. Options now include power windows and locks, a full-screen navigation system, and a 368-watt, seven-speaker sound system with Sirius satellite radio.Several top arrangements are available, including a three-piece Freedom Top hardtop that can be removed and installed by one person, and a Sunrider soft top that includes a folded-back, 52-by-30-inch "sunroof" position in addition to the top-down position.

They just threw in the description for all models? I would be careful believing it was re-geared to 4.10s. Rubicons come w/ 4.10s. I am pretty sure the Sahara's came with 3.73s. Most Jeep owners won't spend the cash to go from 3.73 to 4.10, especially an auto with 37s.
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd be wary. Though some people may not want to hear it, the Sahara/Sport axles are only designed from the factory to handle 32" an 34" tires respectively - and those are street-sized/weight tires - not the big, wide and heavy mud tires that people like to slap on! Special care and preparation must be taken to run heavy 35-inch mud tires offroad - let a lone 37's on a D30JK. Now who knows - maybe the previous owner was concious about these things and he ran it right. Or, on the other hand, maybe the previous owners were meatheads running/beating 37's on a stock D30 with economy gears. There may be axle tube bend, inner C bending (affecting camber), axle shaft damage and excessive ring gear/pinion/bearing wear. Thats the chance you're taking. As far as gears go, the Sport/Sahara typically were 3.73's with the towing package, otherwise they run 3.21's (maybe they offered 4.10's back in '07?).

There are also a whole host of issues with doing a 4" lift PROPERLY on a JK - so I'd be concerned that was done right as well.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Żou can clear 35" tires with a 2" to 2.5" lift. I“d look for nearly stock JKU. For 35" tires and auto trans you should have at least 4.88 gearing, better 5.13. Good luck.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ fully locked
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

With that engine, gears tranny combo I'd make them take the 4" lift off and drop it down to a teraflex leveling kit with 33" tires. Then it would be driveable, but most 3.8 l burn oil so I'd be leary of the whole thing.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
outbackfarmer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice.
I am going to steer clear of this one. Sure liked the look of it. I have been through enough women to know the "look" will only get you in over your head!
I am guessing my best bet is to find something with a 2.5 lift and 33" tires. Maybe I will just leave momma at home, there is enough room for me and the three kids to take the 98 jeep. It is TOTALLY her fault we have 3 kids now anway.....lol.
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackfarmer View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I am going to steer clear of this one. Sure liked the look of it. I have been through enough women to know the "look" will only get you in over your head!
I am guessing my best bet is to find something with a 2.5 lift and 33" tires. Maybe I will just leave momma at home, there is enough room for me and the three kids to take the 98 jeep. It is TOTALLY her fault we have 3 kids now anway.....lol.
Get a JKU but keep the TJ, that“s what I did. My JKUR is the family Jeep that still can be taken off road, but for the really difficult trails I use the TJ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ fully locked
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.