Need some help centering axles and steering wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some help centering axles and steering wheel

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Need some help centering axles and steering wheel

Sorry this is long so bear with me...

After installing my adjustable TB's I did the normal centering routine on the axles and centered my steering wheel. Have driven it a week now and plan to recenter both this weekend. So, I need some help getting it all perfect.

Axles: front is 1/2" off center to the passenger side. Back is 1/2" off center to the drivers side. Now, the adjusting end of each trackbar is on the same side.
Front TB adjusts on the driver side frame, Rear on the driver axle if that means anything.

Do I need to lengthen both sides 1/4 inch? or lengthen front 1/4" and shorten rear 1/4"? effectively moving them in opposite directions.

Or, should I just loosen them both on the ground, do the old jeep shimmy and shake on each corner and adjust to length?

Now, on to drag link. The wheel is just a little off center, and I want it to be exact. When I initially straightened it, I had to expand the drag link quite a bit. Almost too much, I think. I'm attaching pics so that you can see how far the pitman arm is to the left. Is this ok? I can turn easy full bump on both sides, it just seems like alot.

Appreciate any advice or info!

drag1.jpg

drag2.jpg

HighandLow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Off center by 1/2 meaning what exactly? If you measure frame to wheel at the same spot on both sides there is 1/2" difference? Because that would be 1/4" off center. If so, shorten both track bars 1/4", bounce around and re-measure.
If the measured difference is 1", shorten both by 1/2" and re-measure.

It looks like the drag link is extended further than I would like. How much lift are you running?
Shortening the track bar to center the axle means you'll be shortening the drag link again as well. May not be an issue at all.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw
Off center by 1/2 meaning what exactly? If you measure frame to wheel at the same spot on both sides there is 1/2" difference? Because that would be 1/4" off center. If so, shorten both track bars 1/4", bounce around and re-measure. If the measured difference is 1", shorten both by 1/2" and re-measure. It looks like the drag link is extended further than I would like. How much lift are you running? Shortening the track bar to center the axle means you'll be shortening the drag link again as well. May not be an issue at all.
Thanks for the reply. 3" synergy springs, which netted >4". It's actually too high IMO, hopefully they will settle more. All that info was in my sig, but I went to update it and it won't let me even list anything now. Idk.

Yes I/2 difference so 1/4 off center, but on opposite sides, as I said. That's what has me puzzled. But what you're saying makes a load of sense regarding the drag link. I think my plan will be to disconnect, and try and center them and then see where the drag link wants to go. In all of the back and forth trying to center the wheel, I may have went a full revolution the wrong way, if that's possible.
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Do you have a hi steer setup going on or stock? Many folks have found success using a raised axle side track bar bracket, I don't recall if it shortens overall length or not.

It does seem like you have a lot of exposed thread on that tie rod end, but its worked fine so far eh! If I were you I would center the front axle, recenter steering. (If you can part with some $$, AEV Procal has a function to set your wheel dead straight). THEN move to the back and see whats up. I don't recall anybody giving much thought to centering the rear axle, in the club of which I am a member, I can't think of anyone that even has an adjustable rear trackbar.
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha
Do you have a hi steer setup going on or stock? Many folks have found success using a raised axle side track bar bracket, I don't recall if it shortens overall length or not.

It does seem like you have a lot of exposed thread on that tie rod end, but its worked fine so far eh! If I were you I would center the front axle, recenter steering. (If you can part with some $$, AEV Procal has a function to set your wheel dead straight). THEN move to the back and see whats up. I don't recall anybody giving much thought to centering the rear axle, in the club of which I am a member, I can't think of anyone that even has an adjustable rear trackbar.

I have an adjustable rear track bar on mine and gave plenty of thought to centering it. Why wouldn't you center it?

A lot of lifts come with rear track bar brackets but the factory track bar is weak and soft. If you have a heavy or taller rig you'll feel it. Huge improvement on mine with the synergy rear track bar.

Hi steer up front would help the drag link length. That's why I was asking about the lift height. Generally you should have at least 3" of lift and run 3" extended bump stops before flipping the drag link and raising the track bar.
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

As you mentioned, most lift kits come with drop brackets-typically not rear adjustable track bars. Just something most don't think about, esp with DW/bumpsteer probs usually being contained in the front end.

I *love* Synergy products and have no doubt your TB is awesome. I went with their flipped draglink kit and it helped my steering woes out a ton. Though I have 4" lift. I was surprised to see so many people running the Rugged Ridge TB relocator on their front axle without having a high steer set up. Weird.
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha
I was surprised to see so many people running the Rugged Ridge TB relocator on their front axle without having a high steer set up. Weird.
Must have drop pitman arm or something. I've seen some weird and sketchy looking setups out there for sure.
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw

Must have drop pitman arm or something. I've seen some weird and sketchy looking setups out there for sure.
Mine? No it's a stock draglink and tie-rod. Have the MC adjustable TB's front and back. MC, ACA's in the back and AEV geo corrections up front. Waiting on front MC CA's to be shipped.
Steering is actually pretty good, although I plan on getting aftermarket drag and tierod too. Torn between Synergy and MC.
I have a flashpaq , I'll have to see if it has that centering feature.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be tackling it in the morning.
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Got it all centered pretty easily, and the front axle being centered allowed me to shorten the drag link when I straightened the steering wheel.

My next purchase will be tie-rod and drag link combo. I'm torn between synergy and metal cloak.

Question: Can you do the DL flip by using the synergy steering TRE adapter with any brand?

Really appreciate the help guys!
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't know specifically about the synergy knuckle insert, but generally you drill out the knuckle with a straight bit, then install the tapered sleeve. Generally they are all the same standard taper and they can be run in either side (top or bottom). The synergy drag link ends have the same standard taper as the stock parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.