Need replacement soft top latch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need replacement soft top latch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Replacement soft top latch?

One of my latches has a broken rivet. The dealer wants $53 for a new latch! I'm sure someone has found them cheaper. Please let me know where you've found them.

98 TJ Sport, 4" Rough Country Lift, homemade discos,
35" BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's, 4.56 gears, Detroit Truetrac
up front, factory Trac-Lok out back,Warn M8274 8000lb
winch, York OBA, rock guards, custom intake, 48" HI Lift.
Gomofast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quadratec wants $60 for them. Unbelievable.

This is the best I've found so far, but still seems like a lot...
http://www.factorymoparparts.com/68003656aa.html

Unread 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
h2so4
2007 JK Wrangler 

how to replace a soft top latch

Thanks for that link. My order for one just arrived. Now, does anyone have any idea on how to replace it? I was able to get the old one off because it was bent badly... no idea how to get the new one screwed on.
two problems:
1) the screw holes are not lining up with the plastic opening
2) how do you get a screw driver to the bolts once in place?!?!
h2so4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, it's tricky. I think getting the holes to line up was the hardest part. If I remember correctly, I think I suck a small screw driver in one of the holes and used that to pry left or right while I started the screw in the other hole. Definitely took me a few tries to make it work.

As far as getting your screw driver to the holes, I think it's just a matter of flipping the latch up or down (or perhaps the outside part up and the inside part down, etc.). There's one arrangement where you can make it work, you just have to play with it.

Unread 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
h2so4
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the info. the bracket int he header thing was a pain in the A*s to get into place.. i ended up taking a powerful magnet and placing it between the header and the soft top and that held it in place good enough for me to get the bolts started.
Unlatching the soft top completely (on the drivers side and side channels) was a big help as well. It allowed me to move the hinge around more and expose the bolts better. it was also less frustrating than having to get weird angles.
I love working on my jeep... but hate dealing with soft tops! of course I found a few other things that needed attention during this mornings repair. oh well, thats the fun of having a jeep, right?
h2so4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

There's always something to fix.

Unread 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
SirCody
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem. For a part to be used so much and abuse it will get, it is flimsy made...LOL
SirCody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
latch , latches , soft top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.