need a new soft top - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
built99JK
Registered User
1999 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bronx
Posts: 1
need a new soft top

hey guys im new to the forum and i need some advice on a soft top because the one i have is a messed up the guy i bought it off of took decent care of it other than that.

built99JK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Built06JK
Registered User
2006 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: JERSEY SHORE YO
Posts: 8
Welcome dude. I am also new. Why dotn you have a hard top?
Built06JK is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 AM
PowerChoked
Member
1969 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Frederick
Posts: 102
Whats up man! Hope you find a soft top... Cant you just go to a junkyard?
PowerChoked is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Billy
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Surprise
Posts: 1,801
whats wrong with it?

Everyone IS out to get you, if you just believe in yourself and try hard enough!
Billy is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 AM
PowerChoked
Member
1969 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Frederick
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
whats wrong with it?
It probably leaking or something.

I heard the JK's are really bad about that.
PowerChoked is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Woodchuck
Senior Member
 
Woodchuck's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 804
Do you have a 1999 or a JK. Can't have both

'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
neverhide34
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Howard County
Posts: 470
More like late 2006 with the 2007 year model. Before you call someone a noob, at least make sure you know what you're talking about.

Keep Calm, Chive On
neverhide34 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Woodchuck
Senior Member
 
Woodchuck's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverhide34 View Post
More like late 2006 with the 2007 year model. Before you call someone a noob, at least make sure you know what you're talking about.
I think he was kidding...look at his username. I'm pretty sure it implies that he has one of the first 2007 JK that was built in 2006.

'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 01:11 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator
 
jwmbishop's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corsicana, TX
Posts: 7,365
Garage
If you find a decent top in a boneyard - consider yourself lucky. Not the direction I would take for several reason - the least of which is the fabric itself tends to harden over time - and although it may have been a perfect fit on the donor frame and vehicle - it probably won't on yours so you could end up spending 2-3 hundred and still have a "junk" top. That first stretch in is what makes the top or breaks the job! Too much stretch and your top will seep - too little and it will flap and rip - and once it hardens in that stretch it is a forever deal so moving it to another frame could leave it over or under stretched. Go with a new top. Maybe find the frame at a boneyard or craigslist, ebay etc... but I would be leery of buying someone else's problems.

I had to replace my buddy's mopar top when I took his 6'6" TJ under a 6'5" tree limb (bounced the wrong way and went under the limb).

I paid just over 3 for the whole thing (sides, back, top and boot) minus frame. I also tore one of the tension straps so had to re build the frame - about 30.00 parts/supplies and two hours time to realign it and rivet the new tension straps in correctly. The top I used was a bestop for OEM frame and it went on real nice. Took two of us to latch it down the first time - but after a week in the sun it became a one man job to put it down or raise it up. After three years it has weathered better than the oem top - still a nice deep charcoal rather than faded greyish...

EDIT: Chrome 20's? Really? Do they keep spinning when you stop?

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
jwmbishop is online now  
post #10 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 PM
PowerChoked
Member
1969 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Frederick
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
If you find a decent top in a boneyard - consider yourself lucky. Not the direction I would take for several reason - the least of which is the fabric itself tends to harden over time - and although it may have been a perfect fit on the donor frame and vehicle - it probably won't on yours so you could end up spending 2-3 hundred and still have a "junk" top. That first stretch in is what makes the top or breaks the job! Too much stretch and your top will seep - too little and it will flap and rip - and once it hardens in that stretch it is a forever deal so moving it to another frame could leave it over or under stretched. Go with a new top. Maybe find the frame at a boneyard or craigslist, ebay etc... but I would be leery of buying someone else's problems.

I had to replace my buddy's mopar top when I took his 6'6" TJ under a 6'5" tree limb (bounced the wrong way and went under the limb).

I paid just over 3 for the whole thing (sides, back, top and boot) minus frame. I also tore one of the tension straps so had to re build the frame - about 30.00 parts/supplies and two hours time to realign it and rivet the new tension straps in correctly. The top I used was a bestop for OEM frame and it went on real nice. Took two of us to latch it down the first time - but after a week in the sun it became a one man job to put it down or raise it up. After three years it has weathered better than the oem top - still a nice deep charcoal rather than faded greyish...

EDIT: Chrome 20's? Really? Do they keep spinning when you stop?
Wow... You know a lot about tops!

There is nothing wrong with 20's if you're runnin 44's like me, but chrome. Come on man!
PowerChoked is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
PowerChoked
Member
1969 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Frederick
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built06JK View Post
44s? Your weak. Get on my boy Cop4x4s level. 53s
When he actually wheels something then come talk to me. The guy constantly says that he would never take his rigs offroad because he doesnt like scratches. He's a *****.

BTW... He's running D60 and 54's. Im running Rockwells and 44's. We'll see who outlasts who
PowerChoked is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
ncb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Your mom's house
Posts: 5,028
I think built99JK, Built06JK and PowerChoked are the same guy. All three joined today and appear in the same threads. Some serious trolling going on.
ncb is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM
ncb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Your mom's house
Posts: 5,028
OK. Your profile shows you just joined today. Long time.
ncb is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 PM
SubAtomicGenius
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
OK. Your profile shows you just joined today. Long time.
NCB, I agree with you completely. This guyis trying to get a rise out of the forum members on several threads. Perhaps time for an admin to take notice of this.
SubAtomicGenius is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM
ncb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Your mom's house
Posts: 5,028
Paging, Mr. Jim. We need a troll deleted.
ncb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
JK Unlimited Standard Soft Top v Sun Rider Soft Top...Pics please SJP-07JKx JK Wrangler Technical Forum 10 07-10-2015 04:43 PM
Bestop Tinted Soft Top Windows and Factory Soft Top firehawk_1989 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 2 05-21-2010 10:10 AM
Bestop makes 2 piece soft doors which match with Factory soft top? AROSETO TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 02-23-2010 11:41 AM
adding soft uppers to soft half doors? chrisvr6 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 03-22-2007 03:18 PM
Soft top issue problem solver, must read if you have a YJ soft top marvin51796 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 03-04-2005 12:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome