Need help upgrading wheels/tires/suspension on 2013 JKU. Rubicon. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help upgrading wheels/tires/suspension on 2013 JKU. Rubicon.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Learo2000GT

Need help upgrading wheels/tires/suspension on 2013 JKU. Rubicon.

Just picked up a 2013 JKU rubicon and love it. I want to upgrade the tires and wheels to give it a better look and maybe pick up some performace. I was going to wait but thought I would have a better chance of getting a decent buck on selling my rubicon stock wheels and tires. I have an auto and will be doing moderate trails but don't plan on getting into crazy extremes (famous last words right). This is my daily driver as well. So I am looking at doing an upgrade that would not mess with the suspension in an extreme manner. I have 2500 to spend plus the sale of my rubicon sale of stock set up. I have a black rubicon so I want to go with a black wheel set up. I have been reading threads on 33 or 35 and my head is spinning. Any help would be great.

I

Learo2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
yngvepau

Here is my Gecko Green with Mopar 2.5" lift and 18" rims with 35" tires.
img_2921.jpg   img_2919.jpg  
yngvepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
SSAdrenaline
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That is sick.
SSAdrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Learo - big tires and a lift does not usually equate to "performance" in the power end, but will increase performance in the off road arena (clearance...) plan on a re-gear for larger tires (that can add a lot to the cost) in order to keep "performance" on the road reasonable...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Learo2000GT

Yeh I wasn't looking for power performance and I was preferring a set up where I would not have to regear. I have a manual and 410s. I will do more research. I am new to jeep modding. I have always been more into hot rods. But I am digging the Jeep scene.
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

With a manual and 4.10's even with 35 inch tires your on road driveablilty will be very reasonable. When it comes to offroading you have the 4:1 transfer case so it will still be very good off road. If you get use to running smaller tires off road, you might want to regear in the future just so to compensate for the larger tires.
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Learo2000GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbasham
With a manual and 4.10's even with 35 inch tires your on road driveablilty will be very reasonable. When it comes to offroading you have the 4:1 transfer case so it will still be very good off road. If you get use to running smaller tires off road, you might want to regear in the future just so to compensate for the larger tires.
Thanks for the info. I need to figure out the best set up for tires/rims/suspension that isn't to aggressive. I am thinking 35s
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

2.5" budget boost or suspension kit should be just fine. you can run 33s or 35s on those stock rubi rims. i'm running 35" goodyear duratracs and the 4:10s on mine and it works out just fine. many people have that setup. there's plenty of power with that new motor.

i agree, that is one sick looking gecko. nice.
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree. With the manual and 4:10's, I think you will be fine without a regear and 35's.

As far as a lift goes, you will see more performance gain from a nice coil lift over a BB type spacer lift. There is a lot to chose from with different options. Also, one that has adjustablity to correct the castor is nice to help maintain the on road handling.

Let us know if we can help my friend!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Learo2000GT

Thanks for the info. Jason can I call you and pick your mind?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.