Need help with tire problem... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with tire problem...

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
saharac
2007 JK Wrangler 

Need help with tire problem...

Hi,
For starters, I am a beginner to the Jeeping world and my knowledge about technical stuff is limited to reading from the forum and other 4 wheeling websites.
Let me tell you a little about my Jeep and my problem..
Its a 2007 Sahara with a 2" Budget Boost, which I have had for the past 10 months. It came with a Wrangler SR/A 245/75/16 size tire, and I realized its smaller that the factory standard only last week... The rear axle gear ratio is 4.10, and hopefully it hasn't been changed by the previous owner. I drive my Jeep to work 40 miles one way, so I care for the fuel economy and a not too bumpy ride as well as the performance as I take it off-road every once in a while..
Now the problem:
Last week as a result of a little mishap where I blew a tire and damaged a wheel, I thought of getting a slightly bigger tire, just for fun, and ended up getting the BFG A/T KO 265/75/16's. I had these balanced and aligned.
But when I drive its pulling to the left on a straight road and also not braking right when coming to a quick stop. There is also a lack of acceleration and I need to rev the engine above 3000 to maintain the speed around 70mph on slight inclines.

What could be the problem?
Can this be caused by the tire alignment being not right?
I had read something about adjusting the ring and pinion gears when you get a bigger tire to maintain the performance, is it recommended??
I was also considering going back to the factory standard tire size (255/75/17 or 255/70/18).

Kindly advise...

Sorry for the long story and thank you for your time and patience....

saharac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have five factory 18" Sahara wheels and tires with only five hundred miles on them I can sell you for $500 plus actual shipping cost or you can make arrangements for shipping or pick up in Louisiana. These are what is really supposed to come with a Sahara. They were pulled off of my 07 Sahara and put into storage in favor of 315/70-17 .
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

first get an alignment done. then see how your jeep handles. if it still wanders it might be something else. also you should be fine with that tire size just get a superchips programer it will allow you to adjust your speedometer for the tire size change and allow you to change the shift patterns to get better performance.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Check ALL the hardware on your front end and make sure it is torqued to spec. Torque specs can be found on project JK .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_my_jeep View Post
There is also a lack of acceleration and I need to rev the engine above 3000 to maintain the speed around 70mph on slight inclines.

What could be the problem?
Can this be caused by the tire alignment being not right?
I had read something about adjusting the ring and pinion gears when you get a bigger tire to maintain the performance, is it recommended??
I was also considering going back to the factory standard tire size (255/75/17 or 255/70/18).
you went from 30.5" to 31.6"

Firstly- you went up 1" in size. But you don't mention having your computer reprogrammed. So your speedometer is incorrect. When it is reading 70mph, you are actually running faster than that- probably running 75mph (or a bit more). So right there is your issue with higher rpms. The rpms are not running higher, you are just traveling faster than you think you are.

Lack of acceleration. Pretty normal to feel this when you go up in size on the tires. The computer is still attempting to accelerate the way you did before, but you now have a larger tire size. So it is still accelerating the way it "learned" to. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. Now it will "relearn". It will take about 500 miles before it actually gets adapted. During that 500 miles, accelerate fast. After it adapts to that sort of acceleration, you won't feel like it is having an issue anymore.

regarding the ring & pinion- absolutely not. You do not have enough lift or big enough tires to warrant doing that.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
saharac
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will try them out and let you know how it works out...

About the speedometer adjustment thing, my speedometer always indicated a 2-3mph higher speed than the actual on my older tires.. Came to know of this through the GPS...
And it does the same with the new tires too, it shows 2-3mph higher than what the GPS indicates..

Anyways, for adjusting the speedometer to read correctly what kind of change needs to be made?? i read on some forum that on JK's the computer identifies the change in wheel size and does it automatically, is this true??
Unread 05-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

no that is not true. you have to use a programer like a superchips or aev procal. eather of these is good.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
saharac
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry for not giving any updates..
But, the disconnecting the battery for about 1 min worked like a charm with the acceleration problems I was having. It took about 200 miles after I did that, to feel the change, and its back to being quick and responsive while accelerating...

Lot of the other things were more or less about getting used to the new tires and breaking them in... but still need to get the alignment done..

I have pushed the superchip a few places down my wanted list, next up is getting a set of wheels, looking at the procomps.. any suggestions??

Thanks for all your suggestions guys..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.