Need help: Rear end "thud/shifting" feeling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help: Rear end "thud/shifting" feeling

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Need help: Rear end "thud/shifting" feeling

I'm asking for opinions/help on a situation I am having with my '13 JKU. Within the past 3 weeks I have noticed a kind of knocking/sliding feeling like something is moving when I go around a corner in the rear end of my wrangler, more noticible when its a sharper corner. It kind of makes a bump feeling to the one side that I am turning to that I feel in my seat. I took it in to the dealership to be looked at and they said everything "feels" normal. They checked the rear trackbar, swaybar, etc... and said its all good. When i go over bumps i can feel something seems off in the back end too.

The rear axle WAS shifted over to the drivers side a tad, and they said they fixed it however i noticed this morning that it is back to the one side a bit again (rear tire pokes about 1/4 to 1/2" more on drivers side then passenger).

I feel like i am overthinking it, but i KNOW i feel something is different/wrong then before.

It was a dealer installed lift kit, so its not like i did it myself, thats why i took it back since its covered under warrenty.

thanks for any help.

Unread 08-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Rear track bar suffers the same issues as the front from what I understand. Loose track bar bolt in an oversize hole?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Rear track bar suffers the same issues as the front from what I understand. Loose track bar bolt in an oversize hole?
when i got under and grabbed it the other day and tried to shake it i felt no play at all. Unless its one of those things where it has to be jacked up in order to get any movement
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I can't even imagine what they "fixed" with what is probably a factory non adjustable track bar.

Two guesses though...
1- the frame side mount is wallowed out and the just loosened the bolt, pushed the axle over and over-torqued it to try to keep it in one spot, or
2- they used a crappy track bar bracket (could be on the frame or axle side) and it was broken and/or loose.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just off the top-

When lifting a JK/JKU, the rear end slides to the PASSENGER side, how much, depends on the lift-

If the rear end is sticking out the DRIVERS side, then the dealer used the WRONG/bkt/trackbar and the rear coils are probably twisted off center and will try to "CENTER" on turns--

Your rear Drive shaft/uni-is probably off center also--sounds like you need a second opinion from a suspension man !

The front axle will slide to the drivers side, again depending on the lift-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
I can't even imagine what they "fixed" with what is probably a factory non adjustable track bar.

Two guesses though...
1- the frame side mount is wallowed out and the just loosened the bolt, pushed the axle over and over-torqued it to try to keep it in one spot, or
2- they used a crappy track bar bracket (could be on the frame or axle side) and it was broken and/or loose.
They did use an adjustable track bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Just off the top-

When lifting a JK/JKU, the rear end slides to the PASSENGER side, how much, depends on the lift-

If the rear end is sticking out the DRIVERS side, then the dealer used the WRONG/bkt/trackbar and the rear coils are probably twisted off center and will try to "CENTER" on turns--

Your rear Drive shaft/uni-is probably off center also--sounds like you need a second opinion from a suspension man !

The front axle will slide to the drivers side, again depending on the lift-

Good luck

JIMBO
I can fully understsnd this. I'll have to go out and take a peek in the morning to see if i can notice anything with the rear coils and driveshat. What you mentioned now that i think about it i can relate the feeling that i experience to them happening (hopefully that makes sense haha). Im def either gonna take it back, or go to a specialty shop i find and get there opinion and then go back to the dealer.

I know something isnt rught with it, it never did it before. The rear also seems to make more noise and s eem rougher going over bumps and stuff. Assuming this could all be related.... Im amazed the dealership says it feels "normal".

When you say the wrong trackbar, what do you mean?

Thanks for the info and help!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.