Need help - intermittant difficult starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help - intermittant difficult starting

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

Need help - intermittant difficult starting

so this problem started a few weeks ago and seems to be getting slightly worse. Every so often (1 out of 3 times or so) when I push in the clutch and turn the key, nothing happens. Power is good, radio, lights, all that comes on fine. But doesn't turn over, or even try. If I turn it back off once or twice it will usually start.

I am thinking either the starter is going bad (but would assume I would hear a clicking or something if it was getting power) or there is a solenoid or something that is going bad. Someone even told me there is a little switch down near the peddle that completes the circuit when the clutch is depressed and that can be bypassed / replaced easily. Can anyone give me any pointers on how it is set up and what to look for?

Thanks in advance guys!

Unread 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
lkmn1

Is the light for the sentry key out ?? Or is it flashing
lkmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
T00THD0C
2013 JK Wrangler 

There is a switch that is activated by pushing in the clutch pedal that lets the starter engage. It's a safety feature to prevent starting in gear. Over time it may have worn out or needs to be adjusted. It can be bypassed but since it's a safety feature I wouldn't do it. Have someone take a look there first. It should be simple to replace or adjust.
T00THD0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks TD, I think that may be the issue as the cruise control has been finicky lately too and is likely tied into that switch somehow since it is a manual trans. Anyone know where that switch is / what it looks like? I am afraid to take it the dealer and get a 500 bill for a 5 dollar part.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.