Need help with best way to carry kayaks on my '11 Wrangler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with best way to carry kayaks on my '11 Wrangler

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
08BlueSahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tried up top - TOO NOISY FOR ME - went trailer

Hello There,

I went through quite a process figuring what works best for me with my 14.5' and 15.5' kayaks.

I started off with a Konga Kage with Yakima hardware up top:

But the darn rack was SO NOISY - I got rid of it and went to an aluminum trailer for kayaks - built kayak bunks:

The trailer can also be used to haul stuff - I built a box for it:

This trailer is only 280 Lbs without spare, so I stay well within towing capacity.

Good luck with your choices!! Joe

08BlueSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Put your thinking helmet on, these guys did!
vespa_on_road_2.jpg   7-kayak-bike.jpg  
irishluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BlueSahara View Post
But the darn rack was SO NOISY - I got rid of it and went to an aluminum trailer for kayaks - built kayak bunks:
Less than 5 bucks I could have cured the noise issue and it doesn't look bad.

I'll post some pics later.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #19
76silvercj5
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonash View Post
Less than 5 bucks I could have cured the noise issue and it doesn't look bad.

I'll post some pics later.
Please do, we picked up a Kongo rack for free of craigslist because the prior owner complained about the rust dripping on his new soft top. I was planning on welding it to prevent water and rust but the RTV sealant I used seems to be holding up nicely. Although it doesn't look very clean it doesn't have any water issues.

My wife complains about the noise and gas mileage all the time and if I can fix one of the two that would be great.
OME HD Springs and Shocks
Kongo Rack
76silvercj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
K_Matic
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
I see this is a fairly old thread, but this is how I carry mine.

FireMedic,
I like your set-up. How is the back fastened? It looks like it's tied to something in the interior but I can't tell what. I'd like to try that with mine.

I also have an old Thule 45058 roof rack (two 58" bars) which I've heard can serve as a good rack for hauling a kayak on a Wrangler (top down only). I may give that a whirl. Does anyone have any feedback on using the 45058 and foot pads with their Jeep?
K_Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
iltry247
2012 JK Wrangler 

Roof Rack

I installed Yakima rails on my hardtop. I have towers and crossbars and I have kayiak mounts that go on the bars.

Got the rails, towers and cross bars from Quadratec.
iltry247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

why bother with a rack? (an oldie, but a goodie)
yaks.jpg  

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Matic View Post

FireMedic,
I like your set-up. How is the back fastened? It looks like it's tied to something in the interior but I can't tell what. I'd like to try that with mine.

I also have an old Thule 45058 roof rack (two 58" bars) which I've heard can serve as a good rack for hauling a kayak on a Wrangler (top down only). I may give that a whirl. Does anyone have any feedback on using the 45058 and foot pads with their Jeep?
I flipped the back seat up and hooked the draw straps to the lower seat bar. You can also catch the 2 points on the floor, but I just found the bar to be quick and easy
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Finman99
2009 JK Wrangler 

Easiest way I found. Lots of extra space under them also for gear.
wtrailer.jpg  
Finman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #25
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what i do when I don't have the top down for potential rain while I'm out or just feeling lazy. It doesn't look good, but it works.
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #26
MYounts
2014 JK Wrangler 

I've been kayaking for 25 years and used Thules on a series of Saabs. There's a lot of wind pressure on them, especially at highway speeds so I'd be a little wary of some of the home handyman solutions shown, especially if you have to travel any distance. I'm not sure I trust the strength of the fiberglass rain gutters either. The problem with racks is they make a lot of noise and effect gas mileage even when empty. Then there's the problem of getting the kayaks up on them--Jeeps are pretty tall. I think a trailer is the best solution unless you live on a lake like I do.
MYounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #27
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I have yet to see anything on here that is anything close to unsafe. All of the kayaks I've seen are lashed down securely

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #28
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYounts View Post
I've been kayaking for 25 years and used Thules on a series of Saabs. There's a lot of wind pressure on them, especially at highway speeds so I'd be a little wary of some of the home handyman solutions shown, especially if you have to travel any distance. I'm not sure I trust the strength of the fiberglass rain gutters either. The problem with racks is they make a lot of noise and effect gas mileage even when empty. Then there's the problem of getting the kayaks up on them--Jeeps are pretty tall. I think a trailer is the best solution unless you live on a lake like I do.
I can't speak for your jeep, but as far as gas mileage goes, I would bet that a small rack on top wouldn't affect gas mileage nearly as bad as pulling a trailer. I've never had a rack on top, but I have pulled 4x8 trailers and my i6 doesn't like it too much.
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYounts View Post
On mine I used paracord around the roll bars to connect the tow straps. It didn't budge.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #30
JeepAA1ke
2012 JK Wrangler 

I like ratchet tie-downs a lot. I've put light mounts for the front and bolted small handles to the hard top for the back , for this summers extended highway trips I'll be bolting on another pair of handles just behind the doors for a third strap , just to be sure. These are only 10'.
image.jpg  
JeepAA1ke is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.