Need help with best way to carry kayaks on my '11 Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with best way to carry kayaks on my '11 Wrangler

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
1JeepGirlieGirl
2011 JK Wrangler 

Need help with best way to carry kayaks on my '11 Wrangler

I am confused on the best way to carry my kayaks on my Wrangler. I bought a Yakima kayak rack from somebody, and I have a dual top '11 Wrangler. When the hard top is on, the rack works fine, there is enough lip for the rack to cling on to. Since the summer I've had my soft top on and have had trouble putting it on. With the soft top on and it's closed, I don't have enough lip to catch. If I put the top down there is enough lip but not very stable to connect to the plastic sides. Aside from getting something professionally installed, can I just attach the kayaks to the top with tie down straps to the Jeep bars themselves? Maybe putting some kind of padding in between to not scratch the paint in front. I do have the kayak tie downs for the front and back also. Also don't know if that would mean I have to plan a whole trip around having the top down with no option of putting it up.

I'm planning my Fall camping trip and must go with my kayaks. Any advice??

1JeepGirlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
raven0319
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was interested in this myself. Wife and I got into kayaking 2 years ago and have been thinking about getting our own (we rent now). I looked into the GOBI system and it seems like the way to go because it doesn't require altering or drilling into the body. The top section can be disconnected and brought down to accommodate a hard or soft top. A little pricey but worth it in my opinion.
Another option I came across was one from Bestop. It can only be used with a soft top, but that seems to be what you need. It mounts to the tub rail and the top can be up or down. Either way, good luck and be sure to post what you come up with.
Sorry I didn't post links to the ones I mentioned but I'm on my cell and I'm not that tech savvy. lol
raven0319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
1JeepGirlieGirl
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven0319 View Post
I was interested in this myself. Wife and I got into kayaking 2 years ago and have been thinking about getting our own (we rent now). I looked into the GOBI system and it seems like the way to go because it doesn't require altering or drilling into the body. The top section can be disconnected and brought down to accommodate a hard or soft top. A little pricey but worth it in my opinion.
Another option I came across was one from Bestop. It can only be used with a soft top, but that seems to be what you need. It mounts to the tub rail and the top can be up or down. Either way, good luck and be sure to post what you come up with.
Sorry I didn't post links to the ones I mentioned but I'm on my cell and I'm not that tech savvy. lol
I appreciate any input. And I can google those, no worries! Thanks!
Unread 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I strap my kayaks on using the cheapo-method...tie downs to the front and rear bumper, with the soft top down. Sometimes I have to reach overhead and hold onto one of them because they tend to slide a little sideways when cornering. I'm still looking for a real rack that can be used with the soft and hard top but I don't want to drill into the body.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
SharkBite
2013 WK 

I made up a cheap rack for the front out of some flat bar and a piece of tubing. I put a pool noodle around the tube and it gives me something solid to strap down to. I put another noodle down on the rollbar and strap or bungee in the back. It has worked great for two 10 footers.

SharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hard top is easy. Foam blocks, four straps, and about 20 minutes. I'll post a pic later, because this is how I haul my Ride 135.

I would not haul anything on top of the soft top. No security points and it would be pretty easy to damage the top material.

Roof off is easy, and basically like having a roof rack up there. Check this out.....use the rear roll bar, and the sound bar as the "cross bars"... http://www.nrsweb.com/touring/tiedown.asp I would just use some padding to protect the boat and you should be set.
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

FWIW, I would suggest NOT using the rain gutters to secure a roof rack and haul kayaks on the JK hard top. The gutters/edges of the roof are not designed to bear any weight. IMO, it's much more secure (and safe) to just strap it securely to the top itself, distributing the weight evenly, and using the spare, front bumper, and two cross straps to secure it.

Using this method, I can travel 200+ miles at highway speeds and it doesn't even budge.....
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
1JeepGirlieGirl
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everybody! I think I'm going to try to use a little information from each. Love the idea of the noodle as cushioning too.

Is the handle on the hood really secure enough to use as the front tie down? Unfortunately I don't have any winches or anything in the front of my Jeep, and finding something to tie down to is hard with such a smooth bumper.
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JeepGirlieGirl View Post
Thanks everybody! I think I'm going to try to use a little information from each. Love the idea of the noodle as cushioning too.

Is the handle on the hood really secure enough to use as the front tie down? Unfortunately I don't have any winches or anything in the front of my Jeep, and finding something to tie down to is hard with such a smooth bumper.
It's really not that hard....

There is a square horizontal bar that (I think) the grill attaches to. It's about 1.5" thick and feels really sturdy. It's behind the grill and in front of the cooling system, right at the bottom of the grill. That is what I use for my FWD strap.

Rear strap goes thru the spare.

Main straps go over the body of the kayak, in the doors (open) and thru the cabin of the jeep. I use some foam padding under the boat to protect the roof and also some thin pieces between the straps and the roof at the rain gutters/door seal to protect everything.

Again, it's been REALLLLLLLLLLY secure on all my trips. It's just a ***** getting it up/off the roof, and it will only get worse as the jeep gets lifted.
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

maybe a small trailer w/ a cradle to hold the kayak[s]?

Here is a thread where they are building trailers:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post12229322

Up side could be to remove the cradle and then have sides for other purposes?

I was just watching someone kayak today and was wondering the best way to haul them w/ a JK. I've never kayaked but it looks like it'd be fun and got me to thinking about getting into the sport.

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
garin3
2007 JK Wrangler 

kayak rack

This is what I use. You just have to stick with hard top. Thule rack with 60" bar.
img_6567-640x427-.jpg  
2007 jk rubicon unlimited, rescue green, rugged ridge bumpers, 9000# superwinch, 3" procomp lift and 1990 yj 4.2L, weber carb, tfi ignition, nuttered, bushwacker flares, 4" suspension lift, 33" cooper stt tires , Grey soft top, tinted windows, bikini top and red body
garin3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
lraesly

SharkBite,

Like those wheels! 18"?

Lee
lraesly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
garin3
2007 JK Wrangler 

wheels

no they are 17"
2007 jk rubicon unlimited, rescue green, rugged ridge bumpers, 9000# superwinch, 3" procomp lift and 1990 yj 4.2L, weber carb, tfi ignition, nuttered, bushwacker flares, 4" suspension lift, 33" cooper stt tires , Grey soft top, tinted windows, bikini top and red body
garin3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I see this is a fairly old thread, but this is how I carry mine.

FireMedic82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
RVator

I have hauled two 12 Ft Native SOT kayaks on my roll bar with the top down using the pool noodle over the windshield. I also hauled 2 Feel Free Moves and a 10 ft Nomad in the back with the seat down and tailgate tied open a short distance. Trailer works the best for more than 2.
RVator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.