Need help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help!!!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
emilem
2011 JK Wrangler 

Need help!!!

I just got a jk, its my first jeep. I want to go on the jk experiences I do not know how big of tires or a lift I should put on it. Any suggestions?

emilem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
ncb

Six inch long arm and 42s.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

LOL, don't listen to NCB, he's just trolling.

Your best bet is to take your Jeep off-road in stock form with a local 4x4 club. You will be amazed at what a stock Jeep can do!

As you gain experience, you will figure out how you like to use your Jeep and what you need to improve your experience. The locals can give you the best advice on what works for the local trails. And research on this forum for many great ideas. Ask 100 Jeep owners about how you should build your Jeep and you'll get 101 answers.

Short answer is: How do you intend to use your JK? Daily Driver? Weekend Warrior? Hard Core? Rock Crawling? Mud bogging? Desert dune running? Expedition/Forest Service Trails? Mall Crawling? Is garage height a concern? What is your budget? How good are you with tools? Concerned about gas mileage? Ease of entry/exit height?
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
sean0168
2014 JK Wrangler 

Most common answer IMO is 35's
sean0168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
ncb

I was a bit over zealous. 35s and 2.5" of lift is a great balance.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
LOL, don't listen to NCB, he's just trolling.

Your best bet is to take your Jeep off-road in stock form with a local 4x4 club. You will be amazed at what a stock Jeep can do!

As you gain experience, you will figure out how you like to use your Jeep and what you need to improve your experience. The locals can give you the best advice on what works for the local trails. And research on this forum for many great ideas. Ask 100 Jeep owners about how you should build your Jeep and you'll get 101 answers.

Short answer is: How do you intend to use your JK? Daily Driver? Weekend Warrior? Hard Core? Rock Crawling? Mud bogging? Desert dune running? Expedition/Forest Service Trails? Mall Crawling? Is garage height a concern? What is your budget? How good are you with tools? Concerned about gas mileage? Ease of entry/exit height?
He's got the gist of it. A stock is still very impressive off road as I've found out. If you want a great balance of dd and off road, 35's and 2.5 lift will get you very far
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I suggest you look at the other 1 million threads on this topic or give us more to work with. Such things as the types of trails you will run, for example someone who is going to be doing tons of overlanding with no gas stations for days will need to consider keeping the weight down so they can carry more fuel and supplies. Someone who is going to be crawling over rocks all the time will want beefier tires and protection from those rocks. Someone who goes to the beach and the dunes may want AT tires. Are you super rich or on a budget? Do you like pink both the singer and the color? Do you have a significant other who holds your wallet?
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Answer the questions posed in Happy Trails post. Also the year, trim and 4 or 2 door? Depending on trim/year (more so gear ratio) you may not want to go 35's right away unless you budget for a gear ratio change.

There is a multitude of avenues you can go down to achieve your end goal.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Six inch long arm and 42s.
he should do this! And create a build thread about it . i wanna see the cash flow!!!!!!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
x2ccowboy
2009 JK Wrangler 

I run a 3" lift with 37" tires. I like the lifted/squatted look if that makes sense. I would suggest 35" tires though. I haven't re-geared and I don't have a problem. Depends on your driving style. Mine is my DD as well.

I'd go with Happytrails' advice. (Spot On)
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

none of this will get him on the jk experience...i believe you are required to have 37s minimum and all around a pretty good setup as well as good knowledge to fix everything with spare parts you must bring...
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

2 door or 4 door?
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
emilem
2011 JK Wrangler 

I want to do the jk experience. I have a 2011 and its a 2 door. I am a girl by the way.
Unread 11-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do you have a Rubicon? I was looking at the vehicle requirements. You'll need 35 inch tires and lockers front and rear.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
emilem
2011 JK Wrangler 

No I do not have a Rubicon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.