Need Gear Ratio help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Gear Ratio help

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
mikevella00
2009 JK Wrangler 

Need Gear Ratio help

Hi, I have an 09 Wrangler X. I have stock tires P225/75R BSW on/off road tires and I just got some Hankook Dynapro AT RF 10 265/70R17T. The guy said I need to change the gear ratio, but I have no idea how to find out what gear I need. Please help, or lead me in the right direction

mikevella00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

First off, you only change gears if you don't like the way your JK performs with the new tires. It's not like you're "required" to change gears just because you got new tires.

There's an entry in the FAQ at the top of the forum that leads to a chart that should help in regards to gearing. Take the physical measurement of your tires (really, go measure them -- they're often different from what you'd think), pick your transmission (gears differ greatly between autos and manuals), and then look at what the chart recommends.

Also consider what you're going to be doing in the future. Doesn't make sense (to most) to pay $1500 to regear for your current tires when you know 3-4 years down the road, you're probably going to be running 35s.

Also, if you think that the chart is crazy because the RPMs that it shows are way too high, remember that the JK's power band is between 2K and 3K. You may think (esp if you have an auto) that running lower RPMs is a very good thing, but if they're so low that your transmission is constantly shifting out of over drive, then running them that low is way more likely killing your MPG and performance vs. if you ran steady RPMs more close to the JK's power band.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
mikevella00
2009 JK Wrangler 

Re:

Hi Aris,

Thanks for the advice. However is was referring to recalibration the odometer and speedometer as the wheels and tires with be significantly larger than what I'm running now. Is this an entirely computerized system that needs to be reprogrammed or do I have to make and mechanical changes in the cluster for me to get a true readings?

Thanks,

Mike
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You only have to recalibrate for tires if you change from stock size and if you have an auto for gearing (it will help change the shift points). I would only gear if you go to larger tires, say a 35, and then if you do not like the way the vehicles runs...it will put it out of the 3.8 power range and that is the reason most regear at that time.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevella00 View Post
Is this an entirely computerized system that needs to be reprogrammed
Yes. On the JKs, you program in the correct size tires, and the computer (PCM) will automatically adjust the speedometer/odometer for you.

To program it yourself, check out the AEV ProCal Module or the Superchips Flashpaq.

It looks like your new tires are under 32". I had read somewhere that Jeep dealers can program in tires that are 32" or less.
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
mikevella00
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes, I believe they are just under 32", so that is a big help if it can just be programmed and to see if the dealer can do it if I can't figure it out myself.

I guess one last thing, I am going from 16" wheels to 17" wheels, should have mentioned that earlier, does that change the previous responses?

Thanks a lot guys.
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevella00 View Post
I guess one last thing, I am going from 16" wheels to 17" wheels, should have mentioned that earlier, does that change the previous responses?
That shouldn't matter. You just need the overall height of the tire.
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
mikevella00
2009 JK Wrangler 

Excellent, thanks so much.
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

And, the only way you do it yourself is with a programmer such as the AEV Procal, no way to do it otherwise as it needs to be entered into the OBDII port.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Most dealers will charge you about $100 to reprogram for larger tires....pay the extra $50 for the Procal, and you can change as many times as you change tires, not to mention the several other benefits of the Procal...reprogram for gears if you go that route down the road and have an auto, headlight functions, steering wheel centering, and a few others that I'm currently blanking on
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gear , ratio , tires , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • JF gear? - JeepForum Announcements (2 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.