Need Gear/Axle HELP ASAP - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Gear/Axle HELP ASAP

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 07-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #16
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would have to blame the installation!
If those are "Superior Gears" it's highly doubtful they were faulty.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #17
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would make sure that nut is on the rear is tight, it should be torqued to at very least 170lbs and the flange should have very little, if any movement. I had to use around 210lbs to get mine back to spec. Also make sure they used the red (perma)? lock-tight
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #18
AFhockey31
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
I would make sure that nut is on the rear is tight, it should be torqued to at very least 170lbs and the flange should have very little, if any movement. I had to use around 210lbs to get mine back to spec. Also make sure they used the red (perma)? lock-tight
Thanks for that info. Im going to check this weekend when I get some free time..

2009 Wrangler. XRC 10 winch
RE 3.5" basic lift. Poison Spyder Rockbrawler bumper
35x12.5 KM2. Poison Spyder Rockerknockers
Crager soft 8's. PS diff and evap skids
Bilstein 5100's. Light force 170's
KC Slimlights
AFhockey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

"I did in fact... I was only charged 200 for front and rear install, plus lockers."
Sorry to say this in retrospect - you got what you paid for...when the going rate for install labor, gears and master install kit is running around 700 to 1000 per axle...a red flag should have gone up. Something has to give, or as they say, "When it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Truly sorry you have to go through this, but please let others use this as a learning tool and not as a bash to you. The photos show the picture of what can happen with a bad install because the gears are probably not the cause of this, bad preload, reuse of crush sleeve, improper torque or improper shimming might be, I am not a qualified forensic mechanic...hope all goes well and you get back on the trail again soon! Keep us posted...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #20
AFhockey31
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
"I did in fact... I was only charged 200 for front and rear install, plus lockers."
Sorry to say this in retrospect - you got what you paid for...when the going rate for install labor, gears and master install kit is running around 700 to 1000 per axle...a red flag should have gone up. Something has to give, or as they say, "When it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Truly sorry you have to go through this, but please let others use this as a learning tool and not as a bash to you. The photos show the picture of what can happen with a bad install because the gears are probably not the cause of this, bad preload, reuse of crush sleeve, improper torque or improper shimming might be, I am not a qualified forensic mechanic...hope all goes well and you get back on the trail again soon! Keep us posted...
The guy normally charges a lot more. It was a friend of my buddies back in SA so he gave me a hook up since he wasnt doing anything. I dunno... at this point I can blame everything and nothing. All I know is I have to order some new gears, and hopefully not a new locker...

Ill be working on it quick cause winter is right around the corner to not have 4wd up here lol

2009 Wrangler. XRC 10 winch
RE 3.5" basic lift. Poison Spyder Rockbrawler bumper
35x12.5 KM2. Poison Spyder Rockerknockers
Crager soft 8's. PS diff and evap skids
Bilstein 5100's. Light force 170's
KC Slimlights
AFhockey31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front axle problem , front differential , front drive shaft , front end clunk , front end noise , JK Wrangler , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.