Need different axle ratio. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need different axle ratio.

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Atjoer

Need different axle ratio.

I have my JK now almost six months and I never used 5th and 6th gear and I don't like the gearing at all for my use, I live in the mountains and never hit the highway and think that a different axle ratio than the one I have now (3.73) would fit me better.
Where can I buy a different setup and will a different ratio mess up the speedo also?

Atjoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

4:10s...................... I think it actually is an option for any of the JKs not just the Rubi. I am assuming that the tires are still the stock size. If you have larger tires you may want to go further than the 4:10s.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

4.10 was available on all models in 2007 and only Rubicons in 2008. You can buy take offs for cheap. You also need to think about what size tires you are going to run. Let's say you go up to 33's, which is quite easy and inexpensive to do, then 4.56 would be better, especially in the mountains.
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

You won't notice any difference between 4.10 and 3.73. it really isn't worth the money for that little of change.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
roc4117
Go Broncos!!!

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just wondering about how much in labor it costs to get re-geared? That is one thing I'm not really willing to do myself.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #115
roc4117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Parts and labor for a regear is usually in the 1200 range.
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndtrock View Post
Just wondering about how much in labor it costs to get re-geared? That is one thing I'm not really willing to do myself.
$250-500 per axle depending on location.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
funtimes
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cost to regear for me. 5.10 gears front and rear with small overhaul kit--$780. Estimate to have put in---$300 front, $350 rear. Cost for power programmer to refigure speedo and shift points----$170. Total to regear $1600----From what I heard on the difference of the drivability----priceless
funtimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
AZrattled
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had this place passed on to me and am passing it on to you,I just ordered my gears from "Northridge4x4" also talk to a guy named Dave there,very helpful,Thanks
AZrattled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Atjoer

Yeah, 4.10 won't make much difference from 3.73 and is definitively not worth the money so I'm thinking about the 5.13 ratio and let the install do by someone who's done it before instead of me laying on the garage floor for a whole Saturday and ten cans of beer later concluding that I better take it to a shop.
I found a local place called PhatJeeps just a couple of miles from here in Rollinsville, CO and I will contact them to see if they can take care of it.
This will be the first mod I don't do myself but I have a feeling that it's in everybody's best interest that the pro's take over although I do like drinking ten cans of beer on a Saturday.
Hmmm..., maybe a group meeting and a lot of beer and brats and installing my gears?

I will contact PhatJeeps......
Atjoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

5.13 will be too low just for 32's, especially since you have the manual transmission. 5.13's work great with my 35's. I say 4.56 will do nicely for your needs. I still have my 4.10's laying around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.