Need advice,Shop lifted me w a RC 4" now having issues , $1000 in :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need advice,Shop lifted me w a RC 4" now having issues , $1000 in :(

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
chaznad
2007 JK Wrangler 

Need advice,Shop lifted me w a RC 4" now having issues , $1000 in :(

I recently purchased an 07 6 speed JKU sahara. Its very rare that I'm off road, its a DD 99% of the time , so its more for looks. I went to the shop with the intentions of a 2.5 inch BB using stock suspension but some how the guy talked me into a RC 4" lift . It comes with springs shocks and a TrackBar relocation bracket and a few other basic items ( no control arms or sway bar links ). The guy swore up and down that he's done a 100 of these lifts in the area ( well known shop ) and i will have no issues and all necessary items are included.
Well the first day I had major issues with death wobble at 50-60 mph with my lady and 3 yo in the jeep also i notice the shifter shakes like crazy when driving.. Called the next day told him the issue he said i need a steering stabilizer . he took the next day ,installed it and now I'm having the same situation ...

Im now at a $1000 , 350 for install , rest parts ...for something I'm very unhappy with , i feel like its unsafe with my family to drive .. I don't know what the issue is but i just don't want to get stuck paying another install to downgrade and I'm pretty sure I'm screwed on a refund. Any ideas whats causing this . Could it be the fact I'm still on stock tires
someone help

Unread 04-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
ncb

Four inch lift and $1,000 don't belong together. Lifting a JK correctly costs about $1K per inch. The shop clearly didn't torque everything correctly. Don't trust a shop who recommends a steering stabilizer to fix death wobble. Read through Planman's thread on death wobble.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Vertical4
2014 JK Wrangler 

Shops install steering stabilizers to HIDE death wobble. You told them you have death wobble, then they should have found the issue and fixed it rather than adding a steering stabilizer. Do not hide the issue, fix it. The shaking is not the shops fault, once you lift a jeep it is a whole different ball game. Having stock tires would have nothing to do with the vibrations. Your jeep is going to vibrate, but if it vibrates in the steering wheel then you need to replace your tie-rods (or sway bar bushings or trac-bar bushings, ect.) because that is a danger to yourself and other drivers. As for the shifter shaking, I have no clue. Sorry I could not help you with everything but, I hope this helps you out.

-Jim at Vertical4

[url]www.vertical4.com[/url]
Vertical4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical4 View Post
Steering stablizers are ment to be put on to HIDE death wobble. If you knew you had death wobble, then you should have replaced the tie-rod ends. Do not hide the issue, fix it. The shaking is not the shops fault, once you lift a jeep it is a whole different ball game. Having stock tires would have nothing to do with the vibrations. Your jeep is going to vibrate, but if it vibrates in the steering wheel then you need to replace your tie-rods (or sway bar bushings or trac-bar bushings, ect.) because that is a danger to yourself and other drivers. As for the shifter shaking, I have no clue. Sorry I could not help you with everything but, I hope this helps you out.

-Jim at Vertical4
Jim there is more wrong with your post than there is right.
OP the shop that did your install did they explain anything about what you were getting into?
Unread 04-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Ruby_Tuesday
2012 JK Wrangler 

The shifter shaking is probably from the driveshaft. With 4" lift you will need to upgrade both driveshafts. You should ideally get adjustable control arms and other components to make it right...like others said before...remove it all or be prepared to drop another $1500+ into it
Ruby_Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm having trouble picturing a 4" lift with stock tires.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ˇɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

4" and no adjustable control arms? No adjustable track bar? Still running sock drive shafts?(not that drive shafts would cause death wobble but will open up for other issues). You also said no sway bar links Did they re-use the stock ones WTF? Sounds like you are already balls deep I would do as suggested have it all removed and stock put back on. Maybe keep the kit buy the other necessary components and re install when you have all necessary parts. There is a reason Rough Country lifts are cheap IMO they are Dollar Store quality. Quality kits cost because they have all the components you need for a proper install. Hope you get it straightened out man maybe let the shop drive it I am not to sure how quick I would be to go back to that shop. Also you might give RC a call and talk to a tech there. From what I have heard they have pretty good customer support.

Best of luck let us know what happens.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

WOW, 4" lift at $1000 installed? Lol, you should be running MINIMUM $4000 for parts for a 4" lift alone, buddy. Should have stuck with the 2.5".
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Maybe you can work out a trade with them, they install the 2.5 you wanted and they keep the 4" lift no money exchanged.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

A 4" lift should include springs, shocks, brake lines or brackets, bump stop extensions, adjustable lower control arms or brackets, longer sway bar end links, typically a flipped drag link and drilled knuckle, track bar relocation brackets, aftermarket driveshafts and more.

If he had installed a bunch without complaints, it is people who a lifted jeep has to drive like crap and shake and vibrate, and wander all over the road. And they probably never leave pavement.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Jesus, something like that isn't even fit on the pavement. $700 plus labor should get you a decent 2.5" lift, go back and get your money back and OE setup, find another shop, buy a 2.5" kit. Don't go back to that bozo again. Actually, post his shop name and we'll splatter it over the net.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Live and learn. My 2.5" Teraflex lift kit (not budget boost) was $1300 installed by a great off-road shop. That kit is hurting your Jeep. Maybe you could find a shop to install a quality 2.5" lift, you sell the 4" lift, and just consider the loss of money as a bad investment. Trust me, I've been down that road with my ZJ.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #13
JBADV
2013 JK Wrangler 

Education is expensive . I'm reminded every time I pay my property taxes . I would get a second opinion from another local shop .
JBADV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, these guys are all giving you straight dope---

If you're driving that jeep on freeways at posted speeds, you are taking a real chance and if you have insurance--it will probably be cancelled if you have (when) you have mechanical or even fender bender trouble--

Get rid of the lift you have, or add expensive additions to make it safer-

I wouldn't advise advertising the shops name, wish you could, but there's "Internet Liability" that could bite you--

Just fix your jeep and let US RELAX !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'd have them remove the lift and put your vehicle back to stock.
RC lifts are "meh" quality, you're much better off going with a better brand and a smaller lift but still expect it to cost about 2k. a 4" lift on a JK is a really big lift.
If you're just going for looks the BB would have been the way to go.
The shop most certainly did something wrong, deathwobble is not a given and should not simply be accepted or glossed over. It's going to tear up everything else in the front end of the jeep and cause major problems. You're going to end up replacing your entire front end until you find the real problem.
It sucks but you're probably going to have to grow a pair and be a jerk to the shop. You will almost certainly have to threaten legal action to get them to fix their screw up.
Sorry you got into this... No bueno no matter how you look at it.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.