Need advice,newbie buying a new jeep tomorrow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Need advice,newbie buying a new jeep tomorrow

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Ibanez0154

Need advice,newbie buying a new jeep tomorrow

Hey guys,
I am about to pull the trigger and buy my first jeep tomorrow. It's a 2013 2dr,Soft top, 6 speed basic model. I've been trolling the forums for a little while now and have alot of ideas ( alot of the rigs on here are amazing). Before going ahead with this, is there anything I should be worried about?

Ibanez0154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
jopolly3

2013 JK Wrangler 

Know the acronym, Just Empty Every Pocket. Tomorrow you'll be looking at budget boosts then 6 months later you be trying to stomach the idea of how much 37" tires and long arms cost...

2013 JKU Rubicon 6spd: ARB Dana 44 covers F&R, Expedition One front bumper & swaybar skid, Hella driving lamps, JKS adjustable track bars F&R, MBRP SS off-road exhaust, OME HD springs and shocks, OME relocated SS, Rock Hard 4x4 gas tank skid, Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan skid, Rock Hard 4x4 rock sliders, Rock Hard 4x4 transfer case skid, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Superwinch LP8500 Gen 1

2002 Subaru WRX: Cobb intake, Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Kartboy short throw shifter and bushings

1960 CJ-6: Never ending project rig

Build Threads:

JKUR - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...hread-1522982/

CJ6 - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jo...hread-1347975/

WJ - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...auren-1033184/

"BFG makes some good rubbers, if they sold condoms I'd buy them" -Owen Horner
jopolly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to Jeeps and the forum!

Just simple advice.

Drive your Jeep for at least a month (go for two) before you start dropping money on mods. This way you can get a feel for what it is actually capable of.

Plan and execute your mods for how you will actually use your jeep. Don't mod it into a hard core trail beast if you only spend one or two days a month on the trail.

Choose mods for function first and looks second.

Choose mods that work for you (financially, functionally and asthetically) not just because someone else thinks they are cool.

Research the hell out of every major mod you do.

Best of luck and enjoy your new toy!
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtone1583 View Post
Welcome to Jeeps and the forum!

Just simple advice.

Drive your Jeep for at least a month (go for two) before you start dropping money on mods. This way you can get a feel for what it is actually capable of.

Plan and execute your mods for how you will actually use your jeep. Don't mod it into a hard core trail beast if you only spend one or two days a month on the trail.

Choose mods for function first and looks second.

Choose mods that work for you (financially, functionally and asthetically) not just because someone else thinks they are cool.

Research the hell out of every major mod you do.

Best of luck and enjoy your new toy!

X2

Fwiw... The fellow I bought my moab 17" takeoff wheels from had purchased a 2007 JKU and immediately upgraded to 37" on a 6" lift. He threw a ton of cash at the Jeep (wheels, lift, CA, axle welds gussets, full armor, crazy aux lights, purchased three additional various tops- bikini, wild boar-soft top; drive shafts, steering geometery adjusted etc etc)... A year later he was considering selling the Jeep and getting a different vehicle with better gas mileage and/or something to tow his boat. Apparently he never really went off roading after all. Just got caught up in the "instant mod-online gratification" bug which we all get from time to time. He told me he wished he would have just kept it stock and "upgrade as needed."
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #5
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Definitely drive it for a while. Suspension/tires wise my '12 sport is totally stock and I just took it to the dunes and out performed most of the 4x4s there with ease. Stock Jeeps are insanely capable off road as long as you know what you're doing.
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
C-Train
2010 JK Wrangler 

Best advice I ever got was to wheel the Jeep stock to better learn how to pick lines and be more proficient at technical driving. After that, as you keep wheeling you will find out what mods you need/want as you find what type of trails you like. Had a Jeep Jamboree spotter tell me your Jeep will tell you what it needs as you wheel it. And wheeling stock at first is best since future mods will enhance your capability versus being a crutch for inexperience. At the last jamboree at SMORR I was outperforming jeeps with 2.5" of lift and 35s, despite only having 33s and a 1.5" coil spring leveling kit with swaybar disconnects, not because my rig was more capable but because I used my past experiences to drive smarter. Driving experience matters just as much if not more than upgrading your rig's capability, especially since it's only experience that will allow you to get the most out of future upgrades.
[COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club #173[/COLOR]
C-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Train View Post
Best advice I ever got was to wheel the Jeep stock to better learn how to pick lines and be more proficient at technical driving. After that, as you keep wheeling you will find out what mods you need/want as you find what type of trails you like. Had a Jeep Jamboree spotter tell me your Jeep will tell you what it needs as you wheel it. And wheeling stock at first is best since future mods will enhance your capability versus being a crutch for inexperience. At the last jamboree at SMORR I was outperforming jeeps with 2.5" of lift and 35s, despite only having 33s and a 1.5" coil spring leveling kit with swaybar disconnects, not because my rig was more capable but because I used my past experiences to drive smarter. Driving experience matters just as much if not more than upgrading your rig's capability, especially since it's only experience that will allow you to get the most out of future upgrades.
Hit the nail on the head there buddy! The only thing that can be added to that is to have a good understanding of mechanical sympathy. Goes a long way. Too often I see folks beat up their Jeep unnecessarily by attempting brute force over finesse and tact. Back up and get a faster run is NOT the usual answer! Watched a very well built TJ hammer through the sluice box on the Rubicon - broke a shock mount, bent a driveshaft and a wheel bead - but made it through without stopping. As soon as he cleared a bone stock 45 Willys went through with NO DAMAGE - but stopped and creeped taking twice as long... and NO ONE missed dinner at the springs by being late. Go figure!

The Jeep Jamborees are a real good place to learn.
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

if you're getting a manual tranny, be sure and get the 3.73 final gears. Drive both the 3.73 and the 3.21, if you don't believe me.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.