JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Need advice for all year round tires (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/need-advice-all-year-round-tires-1573178/)

Habber 09-08-2013 08:07 PM

Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks to all who routinely help out and answer questions from all us newbees!

I'm looking for a good all year round 33" tire that would be good for winter driving as well for my JK. I won't be driving more than 6000 miles all year round and don't want to switch tires from winter to summer. I also don't know what size I should use. I won't be putting a lift on yet but will eventually run a 2.5" lift. Do I go 15x8.5? 17"???. I have no idea what to do. I'm going to run these tires on black steel wheels and I don't want to add spacers causing premature wear on suspension. Ill buy the wheels after I find out what tire to run. Are all terrain tires good for snow and ice? I don't want to run winter tires all year round but definitely need some good snow/Ice tires.

MoparToYou 09-08-2013 08:35 PM

I'm going to recommend Goodyear Wrangler MTR/K tires. They're called a mud terrain tire, but they're really more of an aggressive all terrain tire. I've used them in all seasons, and I think they work really well pretty much everywhere. They are also a lighter tire than some others, so they will offset the extra weight of the steel wheels you want to use. In your case I'd go with 33x12.50R-17 tires. You can run that size of tire on a stock Jeep, and they will still look good on a Jeep with a 2 1/2" lift.

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/52741...over-rocks.jpg

jhickman1 09-08-2013 08:45 PM

Here's a vote for Goodyear Duratracs. Lots of Jeepers in this area (northern midwest) run em and have nothing but positive to say about them. Unmatched in snow, highway (wet & dry), and wooded trails and the mud that can go with them. Self-clean really well, quiet on the highway and comfortable ride....can't ask for much more.

shalezzz 09-08-2013 08:56 PM

I also vote gy duratrac they have worked awesome for me especially in the snow

Filthy-Beast 09-08-2013 08:59 PM

I'd also recommend Duratracs. I run MT/R on mine but put Duratracs on my daughters. I also ran 33" Duratracs on mine before I switched to 35" MT/R. I'd rate the druatracs at 4/4 for snow and 2.5 for offroading and I'd rate the MT/Rs at 4/4 for offroad and 2.5 for snow.

WhiteOut 09-08-2013 09:06 PM

Duratracs are going to be your only real choice, unless you flaunt the winter tire rules.

Habber 09-08-2013 09:38 PM

Wow they aren't cheap! I did a quick check on Tire Rack and they don't even carry them. Are you guys sure I shouldn't go 33x12.5x15?? Can I even run 15" or is it a bad idea?

DangFoo 09-08-2013 09:41 PM

I'm going back to Duratracs my self. Best year-round tire I've ever run; it's a fairly aggressive A/T with good on-road manners and wear provided regular rotations. They're excellent in snow too: severe weather rating.

COLOUXJ 09-08-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber (Post 15887310)
Wow they aren't cheap! I did a quick check on Tire Rack and they don't even carry them. Are you guys sure I shouldn't go 33x12.5x15?? Can I even run 15" or is it a bad idea?

You pay for a good tire, that will be the case with anything. You can run some 15" wheels on the JK, but most do not fit. Somewhere on the interwebs is a list of 15's that will work.

ancientspear 09-09-2013 08:08 AM

I was very impressed with Duratracs on my WJ. My wife and I drove in all sorts of road/weather/terrain conditions, abused them on the trails, and would buy them again. Also, if you want a winter rated tire, because PQ insurance requires you to in the winter, and want to run them all year definitely consider these. I've seen them on all sorts of trucks and Jeeps from Alberta to Manitoba and they're all run year round. Depending on your lift plans, a set of 5 31" Duraatracs on 16's are quite cheap. Try sourcing them from mechanics, or dedicated 4x4 shops, as they tend to only charge cost on the tire rather than making money on both tire and install.

WhiteOut 09-09-2013 08:28 AM

Just to expand a bit more on my post above. I ran Duratracs with studs last winter and I’ll be getting another set (non-studded) for my new truck in a few weeks. The amount of traction they put down was insane, felt very sure footed on the roads and even severe ice.

Depending on how close you are to the border, you can have Tire Rack ship them there and just pick them and bring them home. There are places that will receive and store them for a small fee. Or just have a shop in the US install them. I had my MTRKs shipped to a storage place like that and even with the gas to drive to get them, GSt at the border and mounting in town; I still came out $500 ahead.

Jared89 09-09-2013 09:15 AM

I have been running km2's for like 4 years. Are they best the snow tire, NO! But i never had any trouble getting around ever. In pa we often get 10"+ of snow. I mean in my area any way it only snows what 2-3 months out of the year. I think as long as you use common sense you can pretty much get away with any tire you want. I know people will they you duratac is your only option to have a "aggressive" tire that is good in the snow. But that is not true, just get what you want.:tea:

Filthy-Beast 09-09-2013 09:37 AM

This statement by the OP "definitely need some good snow/Ice tires" is why the OP is getting the recommendation for a snow rated tire with the snowflake symbol on the sidewall and not an aggressive tire that's ok in the snow.

stilling 09-09-2013 09:45 AM

Hi Habber

I'm an Jeep newbee to, but i'm not to driving a tires in general, we make driving education, racetrack and winter education as well. So i have seen a lot does and don't. Up untill now i would have said that all year tires are the type off tires that isn't really good in any condition, not terrible either but in the heavy end of the not good. So its a clear no go, well up untill now. When you discover the abilities in a Jeep, coming from sports cars or any other conventional cars you either need 4 different set of wheels to be able to use the full potential of the vehicle or you start looking for one that are really good in most of the elements and i think i might make an exception for the "no go" on all year tires in light of the new evidence provided by my Wrangler, i will still say its a no go for all other types of conventional cars or sportscars.

I got 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on mine, my concern is that we get very cold weather not a whole lot of snow, but we got ice, black ice and all other ice conditions you can think off. I can understand that the dura trac works very well in the snow and i look forward to that, but i'm not sure about the ice. I will test it i November on one of our Winther educations, on our epoxy track, thats like the worse kind of ice, i hope i remember to report back to you how they work. We have a competition as a part of the education where the epoxy track are involved and if you dont have right tires you just loose big, and trust me you don't want to loose big here :-)

bogleparsons 09-09-2013 10:17 AM

ties can only do so much one ice.

Without studs you pretty much just have to have good driving skills/ common sense.

The time now is 08:42 AM.