Nearing Purchase, but Wondering...Rust?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Nearing Purchase, but Wondering...Rust?!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 06-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
AzureStarline
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nearing Purchase, but Wondering...Rust?!

So some of you may have seen a few threads I posted before. I'm still evaluating the possibility of getting a JK, but I'm getting closer. I have one concern I'd like to ask about, though. I can't help but notice how most JK's on the road seem to have considerable rust viewable from the rear. I'm not only concerned about the visuals here; isn't it a bit soon for cars that young to be so rusted? Anyway, I've tried to look around for solutions to this in case I do buy a JK. My searching has lead me to learn about Herculiner and Por-15.

Is there a reliable way to win the war against rust?

AzureStarline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

What are you seeing that's rusty? Since you are seeing this from the rear, I assume you are seeing the muffler. That's surface rust and heat causing discoloring. Paint with bbq black spray paint. Either that or relocate or install a skid plate back there.

CJ's were notorious for rust. JK's, not so much.
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
AzureStarline
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
What are you seeing that's rusty? Since you are seeing this from the rear, I assume you are seeing the muffler. That's surface rust and heat causing discoloring. Paint with bbq black spray paint. Either that or relocate or install a skid plate back there.

CJ's were notorious for rust. JK's, not so much.
Yup, most of the mufflers I see when driving behind them are all rusted. Simply spray paint it? Sounds like an easy solution.

I've been eyeing a 2010 Sahara that's been on a local lot for over a month. With the recent 2011 rumors, the 2010's are looking more favorable...
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

It's also worth noting the rust isn't rust through type of rust. It's mostly just discoloring, so it won't hurt anything or rot out if you do nothing to it. I have been meaning to paint mine, but after three years, I am still procrastinating hahaha. It doesn't hurt anything. It's more noticable when you have a lift though since you can see under there more.
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
AzureStarline
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well that's good to hear. I am in New England, so the winters will give it a good test. Thanks for the info!
Unread 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
chowner
2014 WK 

you can't see the mufflers on most vehicles you can on the jk. if you crawl under and look at the muffler on most new vehicles sitting on a dealer lot you'll see rust
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
AzureStarline
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
you can see the mufflers on most vehicles you can on the jk. if you crawl under and look at the muffler on most new vehicles sitting on a dealer lot you'll see rust
Then maybe it's just because the JK's is more visible, but it's certainly unsightly and a bit concerning. I'd still like to do whatever I could to minimalize it, but this thread has put me as ease somewhat about it.
Unread 06-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

what kind of spray paint for the muffler?
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
what kind of spray paint for the muffler?
High temperature paint such as the black spray paint fir barbecue pits works fine.
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

you can get high temp silver for tailpipes too
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herculiner , por15 , rust

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.